Heritage Owners Club

What's with the Mexican pots?

MatZen

Well, I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the key thing is not so much where the the pots were made as that they seem shoddy ("like they came from a dime store"). I agree it's cool to buy an American-made guitar, but I think we'd all have to say that some really good quality stuff comes from Mexico and from the Pacific rim, and from overseas generally. I'm content as long as the quality's there, and as long as there are folks in Kalamazoo doing all that work by hand. That's where the magic comes from, for me anyway. And on the other hand, if the parts are second-rate, I don't care if they come from Grampa Jones' shop down the street with the flag flying out front - don't want 'em, thanks. Just my take on it, though.

I agree, my 150 has Shaller tuners, not American, but I love the Schaller stuff. I don't know what pots are in mine, I've looked but I don't remember, it sounds great I don't care. If they break then I might bitch a little.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went back and read this whole damn thread. Apparently for the second time, tell me I'm not the one who brought it back this time.

Funny thread. Even funnier that I have post in the first page. My old Gretsch is made up of parts I picked specifically for their performance. Sperzel tuners as I like the way the feel as tuners (MIA). Schaller adjustable roller bridge as I liked it on my old H140 (MIG). Bigsby B6 as this the only vibrato system I like and prefer the seemingly heavier feel of the US made series (MIA). CTS pots as I have always liked their feel and performance (MIT). Switchcraft jacks and switches as I have always liked their feel and performance (MIA). Gretsch strap buttons, switch tips and knobs for their look (made in various places in the Pacific). TV Jones pickups because I dig their quality of signal and, since we're talking Filtertrons, my options are limited (MIA). Belden wire (MIC if memory serves).

My Heritage is made of a similar mix of domestic and foreign parts. Grovers, CTS and tailpiece are all import. The wiring is highly likely to be import. The bridge, again, is likely import as through my MIA blog I only know of a few US bridge makers (Callahan, Compton, etc.). Tailpieces and pots I have found no US manufacturer.

I know this is an old thread that keeps coming back, but honestly small electronic components are for the most part now not made in the USA. They are also mostly made by machine, though some hand-assembly may be required. BUILD QUALITY is what is important. If you look around you can find tons of reviews about pots, trashing "stock pots" and exhorting buying expensive aftermarket pots, but many of those people also sell such pots.

Archived