Heritage Owners Club

What's with the Mexican pots?

MatZen

Took a look inside my H150 LW. The pots are stamped Mexico and look like they came from a dime store (youngins' go ask your parents). Anyone have any insight besides "they are trying to keep cost down"?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Took a look inside my H150 LW. The pots are stamped Mexico and look like they came from a dime store (youngins' go ask your parents). Anyone have any insight besides "they are trying to keep cost down"?

How old is your guitar?

They use very good 500K CTS pots with the firm turning taper (within the last 2 years at least).

How old is your guitar?

They use very good 500K CTS pots with the firm turning taper (within the last 2 years at least).

The H150 recently aquired is a 2007. I'm kind of sad :D

I've heard the Mexican pot is less expensive than the California pot, not as potent either.

A lot of the Mexican pot is grown in California. The Mexican drug cartels have fingers reaching further than you would think.

:lol::laughing6:

A lot of the Mexican pot is grown in California. The Mexican drug cartels have fingers reaching further than you would think.

It's one of those things that I've been intending to look at closer... the pots... but everything sounds so good , I just haven't been motivated to do so.

If they sound good , I wouldn't let it distress me.

If you bought it used I wouldn't be sad as I'm sure you got a great deal on it! If it bugs ya', switch 'em out.

It was NOS from what I beleive to be a reputable dealer. There wasn't a mark on the guitar anywhere so I would have to beleive that to be the case.

I've heard the Mexican pot is less expensive than the California pot, not as potent either.

I was waiting for this..

You guys are killing me. I was just wondering that myself yesterday. I was changing pups on my 150 and noticed the Mexico stamp on the pots. Mine's a 2001 though. I was thinking about putting a pre-wired RS guitar works vintage kit in mine just to see if there is a difference. I think it sounds good though. I haven't had any problems with them in the past 5 years I've owned her.

I wonder how much the medical marijuana dispensaries are cutting into their business? Seems like everyone is 'buying American' these days!

If that's the case then I think this really sucks!!! The boys up at Heritage want us to support their efforts and buy American (their guitars) rather than the on slought of Chinese and Korean and Japanese guitars coming in to our beloved US of A. That works both ways!! They should be buying ALL American components when assembling their guitars. If someone from Heritage is screening these posts . . . then this is intended specifically for you. If not, then I hope the administrator let's them know of my sentiments. If I want Mexican . . . I'll buy a cheap Fender Strat

If that's the case then I think this really sucks!!! The boys up at Heritage want us to support their efforts and buy American (their guitars) rather than the on slought of Chinese and Korean and Japanese guitars coming in to our beloved US of A. That works both ways!! They should be buying ALL American components when assembling their guitars. If someone from Heritage is screening these posts . . . then this is intended specifically for you. If not, then I hope the administrator let's them know of my sentiments. If I want Mexican . . . I'll buy a cheap Fender Strat

Well, I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the key thing is not so much where the the pots were made as that they seem shoddy ("like they came from a dime store"). I agree it's cool to buy an American-made guitar, but I think we'd all have to say that some really good quality stuff comes from Mexico and from the Pacific rim, and from overseas generally. I'm content as long as the quality's there, and as long as there are folks in Kalamazoo doing all that work by hand. That's where the magic comes from, for me anyway. And on the other hand, if the parts are second-rate, I don't care if they come from Grampa Jones' shop down the street with the flag flying out front - don't want 'em, thanks. Just my take on it, though.

Well, I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the key thing is not so much where the the pots were made as that they seem shoddy ("like they came from a dime store"). I agree it's cool to buy an American-made guitar, but I think we'd all have to say that some really good quality stuff comes from Mexico and from the Pacific rim, and from overseas generally. I'm content as long as the quality's there, and as long as there are folks in Kalamazoo doing all that work by hand. That's where the magic comes from, for me anyway. And on the other hand, if the parts are second-rate, I don't care if they come from Grampa Jones' shop down the street with the flag flying out front - don't want 'em, thanks. Just my take on it, though.

JMC,

I like your attitude. Really. Nothing facetious in my reply. So, are they bad? Turn too easy, feel flimsy in the guitar? That's really not cool. '07 - not the best year for the boys. Fire, rumours of closing/selling off. Could be what they could source, but that is just conjecture. New pots should make it right. Have you contacted them and asked? Sometimes, if the conversation is handled well, and from your posts I think it would, you can get replacements from Ren. And the current stuff is top notch. :this_thread_is_useless_without_

Patrick - You dedication to MIA is laudable. Might keep in mind: Schaller pickups and hardware. Stock on Heritage for years. Made in Germany. Just saying ...... ;)

JMC,

I like your attitude. Really. Nothing facetious in my reply. So, are they bad? Turn too easy, feel flimsy in the guitar? That's really not cool. '07 - not the best year for the boys. Fire, rumours of closing/selling off. Could be what they could source, but that is just conjecture. New pots should make it right. Have you contacted them and asked? Sometimes, if the conversation is handled well, and from your posts I think it would, you can get replacements from Ren. And the current stuff is top notch. :this_thread_is_useless_without_

Patrick - You dedication to MIA is laudable. Might keep in mind: Schaller pickups and hardware. Stock on Heritage for years. Made in Germany. Just saying ...... ;)

Tulk;; I hear what you're saying . . . and I understand your sentiment. I'm all for "globalization" However, Germany "sells" into our market and allows us to do the same with out restrictions. Other countries "dump" into our markets at unreasonably low prices, with Government subsidies allowing them to price their stuff so low, and $.75 per hour labor . . . where our guys just can't compete. If we're gonna compete on a global scale . . . it needs to be a fair one. Mexico labor is dirt cheap and their quality is pure garbage. Products coming out of Europe are of sound design and workmanship . . . competitive labor costs and they don't tie our prouducts up at their borders with unfair and unethical ficticious objections just to get us restricted in their market place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a UAW employee or any of that. Hell . . . I drive a German car. If Jim, Ren, Bill and Marv truly believe in MIA . . . then walk the walk . . . don't just talk the talk.

This thread has me dying for a burrito. Damn, I love Mexican food! :this_thread_is_useless_without_

Mexican food???? People are talkin' Mexican and you're thinking food??? I'm thinking . . . Salmya Hayek . . . or Penelope Cruz. But then again . . . they fall under the "food" catagory too, don't they. Yeah . . . . now I'm thinkin' about Mexican food too. I'm thinkin' Penelope for an appetizer and Salma as an entree. OUCH!!! Any suggestions for desert????

Mexican food???? People are talkin' Mexican and you're thinking food??? I'm thinking . . . Salmya Hayek . . . or Penelope Cruz. But then again . . . they fall under the "food" catagory too, don't they. Yeah . . . . now I'm thinkin' about Mexican food too. I'm thinkin' Penelope for an appetizer and Salma as an entree. OUCH!!! Any suggestions for desert????

You guys crack me up. 3 cheers for Mexican food and hot Mexican women. Now give my new friends another round of both!

I will most likely be speaking with Ren or Vince tomorrow and will let them know inquiring minds want to know. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime........Tequila!

Interesting thread. No one seemed to mind that the Schaller pickups and hardware was made in Germany. Oh yes, the pickups were/are not for everyone, but I do not recall seeing any post about them being non-USA parts.

Have we got a Dr. in the house to write me a prescription? I've got this incurable terminal disease.. It's called life...

Why do you think the PSP events have grown more and more each year. Behind the barn, make a right, over the bridge, back in the woods...... Ah, let's just say Brent is a great gardener as well!!!! :this_thread_is_useless_without_

Archived