Heritage Owners Club

09' H535 ALMSB (Set-Up suggestions)

Redsand

Hey Folks,

I'd like to hear some input from you guys and gals about getting my initial "set-up" done to my 09' H535. I read a few posts in the new guy section that gave me a few options to think about, but I was hoping you seasoned vets could set me straight or at least in the right direction based off a few personal details and your experience with this becon of joy.

How rude of me, I should introduce myself properly, given this is my first post and all. My name is Matt Jay and I've been the pround owner of a Heritage for approximatly 4 days now...long story short , my soon to be wife , staged a ES-335 purchasing intervention with me by secretly buying me this guitar for a wedding present.....un-freeking-believable, I didnt know whether to faint or cry when she pulled it out of the case. Needless to say I'm a very very happy new pappa to a brand new H535.

I love every little thing about this guitar but the factory .009's are a bit too light and the action is quite low for a fingerpicker , I've been gigging exclusively on an acoustic for years. I was flirting around with a ES-335 for a long time because of both tone and that the feel was a little closer to my natural comfort zone as a acoustic player. I do alot of folky, singer-songwritery material with very little soloing. I think this is where I'm obligated to insert nerdy rock quote so yes "He's strickly rythm, he doesnt want to make it cry or sing" could apply to me.

I'm thinking that if I have the guitarman put some nickel wound .11's on and of raising the action a touch. I'm trying to ease the transition into this electric guitar phase with a bit less sloppiness.

What's some of you slide and finger picker suggestions to the "set-up" specs?

P.S.- great site eveyone, this is really really cool. Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to the HOC, Matt...

That is a great story there and that soon-to -be wife sounds like a winner. What a great way to introduce you to a new Heritage.

I believe that you've answered your own questions pretty much. Yeh, do the .011's and bring that action up a little .. it should add a bit more punch and depth to the sound. And it's about what feels good to you, no one else.

As be expected ... we'd love to see this new axe , when you can find time to post a pic or two.

It's great to hear how much you love your new 535... we know the feeling here... :o

Thanks for the warm welcome Fred! I'm glad someone else feels good about the 11's and a little more height...I was kind of affraid, thinking that it might be pre set to its designed optium vibration ratio of something crazy. Looks like I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on those adjustments soon.

Any strings particularly good for the 535 and fingerpicking?

My wife bought me a 535 in 1996. There are good women out there.

After you change the strings and raise the action you will need to re-adjust the intonation. I play with high action and after getting a new guit I have to pull the saddles away from the headstock a bit or in other words lengthen the distance from each saddle to nut. A guitar tech can help if you are not sure about doing it yourself.

Oh, try a set of DR Pure Blues on there. I love those strings.

You may also need to tighten the truss rod a touch. The increased angle from raising the action will pull the top of the neck forward a bit more than usual, coupled with the heavier strings. You'll probably want about .002"-.003" relief or so; about .001" seems to work for me, but I run my action at about 1/16" on the high E and 5/64" on the low E.

HTH.

rooster.

You may also need to tighten the truss rod a touch. The increased angle from raising the action will pull the top of the neck forward a bit more than usual, coupled with the heavier strings.

I am just the opposite. I like the bow in the neck. I like to get my fingers under the strings for bending and dampening. I doubt anybody else feels this way though so Rooster gives good advice.

behind your back, you wife got you a better guitar!! gotta love those suprises.

Ps. what type of pickups, etc. with a 535, I actually like chrome flatwounds 11 guage. really fun to play, warm sounding.

Enjoy.

if she has a sister, maybe we should set up a dating section!!

My wife has a sister, but you wouldn't want to go anywhere near her... I certainly don't.... If I had met my wifes sister before I met my wife, I would not have believed such an awful ugly woman could have such a beautiful pleasant sweet nataured younger sister....!

I see most of the comments about sisters have been taken, so there goes my joke!

The 535 is dynamite, I've had mine for about 6 months. The only thing was the nut on mine. I'll post a photo, I promise! But the factory nut wore like you wouldn't believe it after just a few weeks. One of the strings was slopping around in the slot, and the low E was just sitting on top of a slot not quite wide enough for it. I had a bone nut installed, and now she's the bomb. A minor thing was a little sloppy filing around the 15th fret or so, at the binding/wood join; not the end of the world, doesn't affect anything, I seldom notice it. I saved the old nut, I'll get a photo up. If the nuts not right, the setup will suffer.

Welcome to the HOC, Matt. Of course, you are not 'official' until we see some nice photos of your Almond Sunburst 535. ;)

As for the string question, 11's should be fine. I think I read somewhere that 11's are the maximum gauge recommended by the factory. Be aware that there could be pinging if your nut slots are tight, as mentioned previously.

Having such a fine instrument as you now have, it may be worth your while to take it to a qualified tech who can work with you on your specific set up needs. If you need a new nut, I'd also recommend going with bone.

Congratulations on your new gitfiddle and for finding such a great fiancé!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think the bone nut is a proactive move as well. I'm having super tech Mike Koontz do the work, I wouldn't dare try doing any mods or adjustments my self. Thanks for all the well wishes and knowlledge, I look forward to contributinfg what ever I can.

P.S. I've added a few pix but I'm not sure if I added them to the right section of my profile?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think the bone nut is a proactive move as well. I'm having super tech Mike Koontz do the work, I wouldn't dare try doing any mods or adjustments my self. Thanks for all the well wishes and knowlledge, I look forward to contributinfg what ever I can.

P.S. I've added a few pix but I'm not sure if I added them to the right section of my profile?

You can post pics here in the thread by using the upload button at the bottom right when you post a reply (if the pic is on your computer)...

or post in a thread with a link to the pics stored online somewhere by using the the upload pics button at the top when you post a reply.. ( 7th button in the 2nd row at top, two over from the smiley face )

or you can post in the gallery (we love to add good pics there), click on gallery at the top, go to members galleries and click "new album"... you'll find it easy from there , I think.

;)

What a find, the guitar and the girl! I've been married for 27 years and i don't think it has ever entered my wife's mind to buy me a guitar. Anyway, I use D'Addario set no. EXL 116's, nickel wound, .011"-.052" The .052 helps to keep the low E from buzzing, I also raise the stopbar to take some tension off over the bridge, this makes it play lighter and I also adjust the truss rod and make the neck pretty darn straight. This makes the guitar play lighter and the strings feel like have a lighter guage on there. If you go to the heavier guages of strings I suggest opening up the nut slots a little so they aren't so tight and I definitely suggest that you look into lowering the nut slots as Rendal makes them too high for my liking. I set my string height at .050" at the 12th fret.. I set it the same on both the bass and treble side. This is just my preference but it makes the guitar play like it has 10's on it. And Nut Sauce in the nut and bridge slots helps it to stay in tune better. If you do this setup and make it play as easy as possible then you can always raise the strings to get the feel of the acoustic.

What a find, the guitar and the girl! I've been married for 27 years and i don't think it has ever entered my wife's mind to buy me a guitar. Anyway, I use D'Addario set no. EXL 116's, nickel wound, .011"-.052" The .052 helps to keep the low E from buzzing, I also raise the stopbar to take some tension off over the bridge, this makes it play lighter and I also adjust the truss rod and make the neck pretty darn straight. This makes the guitar play lighter and the strings feel like have a lighter guage on there. If you go to the heavier guages of strings I suggest opening up the nut slots a little so they aren't so tight and I definitely suggest that you look into lowering the nut slots as Rendal makes them too high for my liking. I set my string height at .050" at the 12th fret.. I set it the same on both the bass and treble side. This is just my preference but it makes the guitar play like it has 10's on it. And Nut Sauce in the nut and bridge slots helps it to stay in tune better. If you do this setup and make it play as easy as possible then you can always raise the strings to get the feel of the acoustic.

Wow..thanks for all the great info! I'll pass this print out along to my Guitar man when I take it in. Take care

Welcome Matt...and great story...you better marry her soon!!!!!!......535 is an outstanding guitar...I love mine...and have a set of 10's on her....I use flatwound 11's on my 575.....oh and my wife gave me a Boss OC -3 Super Octave pedal for Christmas...not a guitar... but..since I have close to 40...and she does not complain....she is a keeper as well ;) ....(I've been married 40 years so good luck on your nuptials) :lol: ...oh and need some pictures!!!! ...Congratulations on your guitar and future wife!!!

Matt..Welcome to the HOC..you have a great wife to be and a great guitar..I used to think that super low action was a requirement, but years later i realized that my style was quite aggresive with a lot of bending, so now my guitars are set up higher than most people would like, but it works for me..so as has been mentioned previously, just experiment with it..and most of all HAVE FUN!! :lol:

Archived