Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H-150P - Advice Needed

Ray

Need some advice. I have just purchased an H-150P that has not arrived yet - the serial number starts with the letter 'L'. The guitar comes with Schaller Humbucking pickups, Grover machine heads and Schaller saddle/bridge. Given a similar guitar, would you change any of these parts? I am asking because I have read a few negative comments about Schaller pickups etc. Any suggestions/advice will be gratefully appreciated.

This is my first Heritage guitar - it has taken me a while to work out or select my preferred models, after reading your fantastic comments and suggestions. My preferred models include Super Eagle, Golden Eagle, Henry Johnson Signature model (which I particular liked after playing it), H-575, H157/H150 and H-555. I am now going to go through my list as and when finances allow it. Other models will be considered when they come up.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Man this is such a personal question. haha.

It all really depends on what you are going for.

You know, I did like the Schallers ok. Then I put other pickups in there for a bit only to realize I liked the Schallers in there better. So... back in they went and they are there to stay. The Heritage will stay 100% stock.

I think you will find that Schallers are likely good enough for what ever you want to do. Now... if you are really a tone nazi and have a specific sound in mind, the Schallers may or may not meet those expectations.

I would wait until you get it before you make any parts plans.

My two cents. B)

Need some advice. I have just purchased an H-150P that has not arrived yet. The guitar comes with Schaller Humbucking pickups, Grover machine heads and Schaller saddle/bridge. Given a similar guitar, would you change any of these parts –. I am asking because I read a few negative comments about Schaller pickups etc. Any suggestions/advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Ray: You haven't even received your guitar yet . . . but you're asking others if you should alter it?? It's gonna be your guitar . . . not anyone else's. Play it, then learn what you may not like about it . . . then ask for advice on how to correct what you've uncoverd about the guitar that you may not like. If you listen to anyone else's advice or comments, that might taint you own opinions. I'm sure there are people out there who love the Schaller stuff . . . . or Heritage wouldn't be using it. I'm sure there are also those that will direct you away from the Schaller stuff. At the end of the day (how's that for an over used phrase?) it's your guitar . . . . it has to be your opinions and decisions that guide you . . . . in my not so humble opinion :-)

Need some advice. I have just purchased an H-150P that has not arrived yet. The guitar comes with Schaller Humbucking pickups, Grover machine heads and Schaller saddle/bridge. Given a similar guitar, would you change any of these parts –. I am asking because I read a few negative comments about Schaller pickups etc. Any suggestions/advice will be gratefully appreciated.

I have also recently aquired a H-150 and had simular feelings...but after waiting and playing the guitar for a while I decided that the Schaller bridge/tailpiece setup was just fine. Not what I was used to looking at but functioned and suited the guitar well. (plus the guitar is setup well and sounds good!) The pickups, on the other hand, were not to my liking and I'm changing them out. Pickups are subjective, everyone has their own idea in there head what their pickups should sound like. The Schallers didn't sound bad by any means, just not to my liking...but, hang on to the Schaller...just in case.

Heritage makes a great guitar...so enjoy the ride!

I have a 150 P Silverburst that I bought off the Bay about six months ago. Me, I love it just the way it came...warts and all. I wouldn't change a thing...but that's just me...

If for some reason you find it's not your cup of tea shoot me a message...I'm pretty sure I could help you dispose of it somehow...

My advice on the pickups is: adjust them to various heights and balance the pole pieces before you decide to swap them out. I'd also do this with fresh strings and after you've intonated the bridge. It's amazing how much a little tweak of pickup height and balance will do to really bring out the best in even the most mediocre pickups. The Schallers are not bad, and when properly adjusted, they can sound quite good.

Only you will be able to determine if something is not right in the mix... some people like shaller components, there is nothing wrong with them.

I personally have several guitars, the pickups I use are not what the general consnsus here use... I had a C series that had been upgraded to Seymours most popular pickups... I retro graded it back to original and it was great... not my main guitar. It is only through experience that you will develop preferences

The 150P is a poplar bodied guitar which can be a warm guitar( no maple to bring out the highs).

Man enjoy... you have got a great instrument coming

Man this is such a personal question. haha.

It all really depends on what you are going for.

You know, I did like the Schallers ok. Then I put other pickups in there for a bit only to realize I liked the Schallers in there better. So... back in they went and they are there to stay. The Heritage will stay 100% stock.

I think you will find that Schallers are likely good enough for what ever you want to do. Now... if you are really a tone nazi and have a specific sound in mind, the Schallers may or may not meet those expectations.

I would wait until you get it before you make any parts plans.

My two cents. B)

Yeah..what he said..Just trust your ears..

in general, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The schaller pickups are pro quality pickups. due to sound differences, they need to be dialed in differently than pickups people may be used to. As I have guitars with many different pickups, I'm used to this.

I have two heritages, an H-535 that is now stock with the schaller tailpiece, roller bridge, and pickups. I love it. The H150CM I have was ordered with nashville hardware and 59 duncan pickups. I love it as well.

heritages1.jpg

Thank you for your brilliant suggestions and advice. You comments have been very informative. I prefer to keep guitars in original state with no upgrades and so I shall follow the suggestion to try it out after changing the strings and having it setup properly etc. The next H-150 may come with a different pickup if the Schaller pickup is not to my liking.

Again, thank you all for your comments. Enjoy the day.

Thank you for your brilliant suggestions and advice. You comments have been very informative. I prefer to keep guitars in original state with no upgrades and so I shall follow the suggestion to try it out after changing the strings and having it setup properly etc. The next H-150 may come with a different pickup if the Schaller pickup is not to my liking.

"The next H-150" .... bit by the bug without even playing the first one. Now that is cool! Not unexpected.

Ray: Don't misinterpret all this sound advice. No one is saying that you should wait until your next H 150 for a more acceptable sound if you don,'t like the Schaller stuff. All we are saying is . . wait until you get the guitar before you decide to change it. .. and don't be influenced by what others may think is "the sound to go for" Get your guitar, play it for at least 2 weeks . . . even if you HATE the sound/tone . . . play it for at least 2 weeks!! That will help you form an opinion of exactly what it is that you hate . . . and what you would prefer. Then you can reach out to all these knowledgeable players, knowing what you are looking for . . . and they can and will help you find it. There's nothing wrong with changing your setup and sound. Just make sure that you really want before you do it. And, there is no right or wrong sound . . . or good or bad tone. It's a very subjective thing.

This is my first Heritage guitar - it has taken me a while to work out or select my preferred models, after reading your fantastic comments and suggestions. My preferred models include Super Eagle, Golden Eagle, Henry Johnson Signature model (which I particular liked after playing it), H-575, H157/H150 and H-555. I am now going to go through my list as and when finances allow it. Other models will be considered when they come up.

That's a pretty good start on a list of Heritage's to collect... B)

(BTW.. nice pic tbone)

No Doubt that you'll love that 150P... I find it hard to get motivated to change much on my Heritages, I just love 'em from the start and don't look back.

Not that I haven't bought some already modded and loved that also...

Be sure to include us in the joy when it arrives... we love when a new Heritage arrives...

definitely don't be influenced by anything but your own playing and ears. I see lots of people sinking tons into gear searching for that perfect tone, without actually knowing that that perfect tone is.

+1 on the above, excellent point there.

The nice thing about Heritage guitars is that if you do change anything, you don't devalue the guitar because unlike other major brands, you can order a Heritage with what ever hardware you want, so it's a win win however you look at it. I go with the guys who say listen to it and trust your ears, it is your guitar and just because others change their pickups to suit them it does not mean that you changing yours would be the right thing for you. As for myself, I changed because I really did not like the schallers, or the bridge and stop piece, but that wasa personal decision. My good friend has two heritages and one has changed pickups, the other one doesn't. It's purely personal.

Anyway, welcome to the club, we are all looking forward to seeing the pictures..

• 8 months later...

Archived