Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Pickguards

Cryoman

It seems that Heritage is increasingly producing "Gibson style" pickguards rather than their homegrown (and kinda strange to me) design as evidenced by new guitars at Wolfe's, Eddie's etc.  To me the "Gibson style" pickguards just look right on either a H-150 and H-157 (and, of course, Les Pauls®) whereas the Heritage pickguard does not.  Does anyone believe that Heritage, too, is coming to this same conclusion and hence the more traditional style pickguard on their newest guitars?

Here's the new pickguard I made this morning for "Winey" my H-150 using both Gibson and Heritage pickguards as templates for my router template.  Note that I did NOT quite nail  it (ie the "placement" of the guard relative to the pickups is shifted down a little too much - witness the upper mounting screw placement...).  The next attempt I'll get it right.  Once I get my template right and based on the amount of materials I have left, I'll offer up a small handful of these for HOC brothers.

Cheers,  Cryoman

width=600 height=450http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/cryoman_bucket/H150pickguard017.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/cryoman_bucket/H150pickguard020.jpg[/img]

Fullsize here:  http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/c...ickguard017.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/c...ickguard020.jpg

Cryo:

You do nice stuff; a good eye you have!  The pieces you did for the 137's were spot on, really high concept.  I'm with you on the Heritage guards.  They're a little to...baroque for me.  That mother of toilet seat guard on "Winey" looks very cool.    8) 

Thanks all for looking and kind words!!!

There were slight offsets between the Heritage and Gibson pickups I used to make my template (ie one would not fit on the other's guitar).  This one is basically the Gibson shape (using my Les Paul pickguard as the template), but with the offsets for the Heritage pickup placement.  Again, I didn't quite get it right.  Maybe I'll find time on Sunday to do it again...

Cheers, Cryoman

They're finger rests!! Just ask Ren.  ;D

If you want your H to look more like a G, you sure nailied it. Great job on the cut, etc. It does look nice. But for me, I kinda got off on the H FRs (tee hee), maybe because they're a bit unique.

I think Jay was hep to the fact the original Heritage pickgaurds were not the most attractice on the planet and ordered some gutiars with a more traditionaly styled pickgaurd and it just caught on, much in the same way as the switch from the bulky Schaller hardware to standard tune-o-matic/stop tailpiece.  Or maybe I'm mistaken and the idea did indeed come from Kalamazoo.

Well... I mostly nailed it the 2nd time (with new template).  These are harder than I thought because I don't think they make (I don't have...) bearing guided router bits as small as the inside corner radius at the pickups.  I had to file these inside corners by hand...  Nice tight fit this time and comes off the rear pickup at just the right point...

Cheers, Cryoman

width=600 height=450http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/cryoman_bucket/H150pickguard2004.jpg[/img]

Full Size:  http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/c...ckguard2004.jpg

PS.  I have material for two more of these.  1st two e-mails to me at cryoman@comcast.net gets them.  I'm on travel for the next two weeks so it'll be probably 3 weeks before I get them to you.  Yes.  Free. 

FWIW,

I just ordered a 2nd 150 goldtop with Lollar imperials and Heritage cannot leagally put a Gibby style finger rest straight from the factory. Jay does that as an aftermarket add on. (which I personally like over the "s" shaped Heritage pick guard, uh, finger rest.

Cryoman, your pickguard work is very nice!!!

I would be interested in a beige one if you ever get that color material.  Just let me know how much.

I was telling my friends about Cryoman's industry tonight.  I might buy a blank of the material you used here and get you to make me a pick guard for the chain saw.  I an "vacillating" between this material or a bright tortoise shell, not too dark.  As a matter of fact if you have enough scraps left over I could use a truss rod cover or two. 

width=600 height=399http://www.ronwarren.com/trio/img_4283_std.jpg[/img]

FWIW,

I just ordered a 2nd 150 goldtop with Lollar imperials and Heritage cannot leagally put a Gibby style finger rest straight from the factory. Jay does that as an aftermarket add on. (which I personally like over the "s" shaped Heritage pick guard, uh, finger rest.

Kuz is right.  Keeps the G lawyer attack dogs at bay. ruff ruff

In the early days, they did put the G shaped pickguard on em.

I have mixed feelings about having a PG on my H150.  (mine is the newer shape)  I don't mind the shape, but the thought of drilling a hole in the top makes me cringe.  If I ordered highly figured top, or a gold top, I would probably not get a pickguard.  But if it came with one, as my H150 CMCL did, I keep it.  I do find that I rest my fingertips on it too.  The cream color on mine has aged nicely for an "S" model year.

Glad Heritage made the switch to the traditional tailpiece hardware.

chico

FWIW,

Reading through this thread, I was about to say that Heritage does not put those on.  The dealers do to increase sales because they know what most people like.

I have the Heritage pg on my H-150 goldtop and added a cream switch ring and amber tip.  I actually like this pg but you guys got me thinking of trying a "G" style on their to see what it looks like. 

I had a wine red LP Studio a while back and put a pearloid pg on it and it looked killer!  Way to go Cryo.

Thundersteel,

What???? You don't recommend that I  put a plastic pickguard on my beautiful dark Sunburst H-157?

OK, OK.... I won't.

The pearloid PG on "Winey" was mostly because I had some spare material (the pearloid was for a Cryo-caster that I'm building)...and a couple hours of "relaxin" time...

Doesn't anyone want one.  Please?  I've been trying to give pickguards away since I joined HOC.... I even said I'd give you a dollar to go with it...

Cheers,  Cryoman

I've been trying to give pickguards away since I joined HOC....

My H150 LW came with a creme pickguard; seems no one wants that one, either.

I ordered from jay a few yrs ago a nice 158 lefty. I asked for a righty bigsby and a pickguard. The 158 doesn't come with a pickguard. In retrospect I know why. I took it off the other day and t  just seemed like a better guitar without it. Part of this is of course because the 158 is a semi--hollow with f-holes.  I am much happier without it .

Plus, I was kind of expecting a wooden heritage style guard, but this was plastic. I think Jay probably added that and the bigsby in his Fla. shop.

cant speak for the 157's etc, but definitely for the  semi-hollow cousins.- no pickguaqrd plse!.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Cryoman went to the trouble of making a pickguard out of his spare pearloid material, sent it to me for free, and offered to make one in creme once I get the material.

Is that cool or what?!

The creme material is backorded, but Cryo sent me a pearloid guard and walked me through the installation process (had to purchase a countersinking drill bit!). 

My 150 came with the original 'S' shaped Heritage guard, so Cryoman used that as a template to make his custom guard.  Since the guitar already had holes in the top, a new guard would improve the looks.  Plus I'm pretty rough on picking scratches in that area, so a guard is needed.

Karma up again as a huge Thanks, Cryoman!! :)

Here's how my Chestnut H-150CM Ultra looks with it installed...

width=320 height=480http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4602/heritageh150pearlguardhn6.jpg[/img]

Archived