Heritage Owners Club

"Finger Ease" spray & nitro finish

peacemaker

Some people think this stuff is junk & make fun of me, but on my other guitars I've found it really keeps my strings feeling fresh, especially during long practice/playing sessions. I'm new to nitro finish care & a little paranoid about putting this stuff on my Heritage. I usually spray the strings and the back of the neck...and you really can't avoid getting some on the body of the guitar either. Is it safe on nitro?

I don't know if it is safe for nitro or not. When I used this product I sprayed it on a rag and then wiped the strings. I now use the GHS pretreated string cloth, that for $4 is the single greatest invention for keeping strings feeling like new. Wipe with the GHS rag before and after playing and the strings are good for MONTHS!!!!

As for the back of the neck, i use virtuoso polish. The neck is then super slick and fast.

I like Finger Ease and use the product regularly on my Heritages and any of my guitars. It keeps the strings nice and lubed. I will spray it directly on the fretboard and I also spray it on a rag and go under the strings with it to clean the gunk, using an up and down motion with the rag held taugtly (is that a word?) when I'm doing the maintenence cleaning.

At the factory, Ren actually likes to spray new strings with WD40 when restringing.

I don't spray Fingerease on the back of the neck, that is interesting, never thought of it. I keep a rag that has a drop of Lemon Oil on it nearby as well as the can of FingerEase, the rag to wipe the back of the neck with.

A can of fingerease is a good stocking stuffer for guitarists at holiday time..

I should add, that, with regard to protecting a nitro finish, that you WILL want to avoid the DEET in mosquito spray. So watch it on those outdoor jams this spring and summer. Take the poly finish guitars out to the campout jam.

B)

I don't know if it is safe for nitro or not. When I used this product I sprayed it on a rag and then wiped the strings. I now use the GHS pretreated string cloth, that for $4 is the single greatest invention for keeping strings feeling like new. Wipe with the GHS rag before and after playing and the strings are good for MONTHS!!!!

As for the back of the neck, i use virtuoso polish. The neck is then super slick and fast.

i've never used one of those, but I sure do get tired of changing strings all the time..may have to get one of those GHS pre treated cloths..

I like Finger Ease and use the product regularly on my Heritages and any of my guitars. It keeps the strings nice and lubed. I will spray it directly on the fretboard and I also spray it on a rag and go under the strings with it to clean the gunk, using an up and down motion with the rag held taugtly (is that a word?) when I'm doing the maintenence cleaning.

At the factory, Ren actually likes to spray new strings with WD40 when restringing.

I don't spray Fingerease on the back of the neck, that is interesting, never thought of it. I keep a rag that has a drop of Lemon Oil on it nearby as well as the can of FingerEase, the rag to wipe the back of the neck with.

Just to be specific about this, Ren cleans the strings first BEFORE they are on the guitar (this is when he uses WD40, NOT when they are on the guitar)!

I spray the rag, never the guitar!

that sounds like good advice to me.. B)

So lemon oil is safe on nitro then?

So lemon oil is safe on nitro then?

i use Lemon Oil on the fingerboard, And Virtuoso Polish on the nitro..My 2 cents.. B) works for me..

Hello Kuz,

Is the the GHS product called GHS Fast Fret String and Neck Lubricant?

Thank you.

Hello Kuz,

Is the the GHS product called GHS Fast Fret String and Neck Lubricant?

Thank you.

Here is a pic. I get them at Guitar Denter. I usually pick up 3 at a time and will last me 4-5 months!!!

f3960e967c9611fca984bbe0c5968591.jpg

I use good olive oil...keeps the wood moist, is nontoxic ( unlike lemon & bore oil ) so you can eat after playing without ingesting the crap....and it smells good ;)

Trouble is.....it goes rancid.

Am I the only person who doesn't like their strings/fingerboard feeling oily/greasy? I've never used fast fret, finger ease or astroglide on my guitars and never will. I can't stand a fingerboard treatment that leaves the fingerboard feeling "coated" in any way. Give me pure, raw, smooth wood any day.

Am I the only person who doesn't like their strings/fingerboard feeling oily/greasy? I've never used fast fret, finger ease or astroglide on my guitars and never will. I can't stand a fingerboard treatment that leaves the fingerboard feeling "coated" in any way. Give me pure, raw, smooth wood any day.

Hurrumph!

I'm with you, GuitArtMan. I try to keep a towel handy in case my hands or the neck get clammy, but even on the rare occasions when I polish my guitars I try to avoid letting any get on the neck. If I eat anything fried or greasy before I play, I have to be especially thorough in washing my hands, or that feel really bothers me.

My preferred "finger ease" is a traditional lubricant/solvent compound whose active ingredient is a low concentration of ethyl alcohol. It is widely available in handy 12 oz bottles, administered internally. Works wonders, as long as you don't over apply.

There's a line in a BB King tune from the album "Take it Home" where he sings "...put shoe polish on my strings, make 'm sing like the angels sing." I wonder if this was the original form of compounds like finger ease/fast fret?

Some people think this stuff is junk & make fun of me, but on my other guitars I've found it really keeps my strings feeling fresh, especially during long practice/playing sessions. I'm new to nitro finish care & a little paranoid about putting this stuff on my Heritage. I usually spray the strings and the back of the neck...and you really can't avoid getting some on the body of the guitar either. Is it safe on nitro?

I like Fast Fret because very little goes on the fretboard. Most of these products use a light mineral oil as a lube and too much on the fretboard isn't good....that's why I avoid the sprays . I believe it will eventually soften the wood and the frets will become loose if there is too much directly on the fretboard . Lonnie

My preferred "finger ease" is a traditional lubricant/solvent compound whose active ingredient is a low concentration of ethyl alcohol. It is widely available in handy 12 oz bottles, administered internally. Works wonders, as long as you don't over apply.

I would specifically avoid anything that has alcohols, acetates or ketones around a nitrocel finish. Quite often nitrocellulose (which is highly explosive when dry) is sold "damped" with ethanol. The lower nitration grades (SS Nitrocel) are soluble in Ethanol alone. I don't know what grade is typically used for wood lacquers, but I would avoid that type of solvent at all cost.

On the other hand, nitrocel resin is pretty much impervious to aliphatic solvents (butane, propane) and mineral oils.

You need to be careful about some of those traditional solvents, and some can contain up to 50% ethanol! The lower grade "solvents" often leave an unpleasant, sticky feel, as well as possible foamy deposits. :rolleyes:

I would specifically avoid anything that has alcohols, acetates or ketones around a nitrocel finish. Quite often nitrocellulose (which is highly explosive when dry) is sold "damped" with ethanol. The lower nitration grades (SS Nitrocel) are soluble in Ethanol alone. I don't know what grade is typically used for wood lacquers, but I would avoid that type of solvent at all cost.

On the other hand, nitrocel resin is pretty much impervious to aliphatic solvents (butane, propane) and mineral oils.

Fat%20Tire.jpg

Archived