Heritage Owners Club

H535/555 buying advice needed

Ben2

I'm shopping for a new H535/555 and wanted some advice from experienced owners. I've heard they're great guitars but have an intimidating reputation for uneven quality control or maybe just uneven sound. There aren't tons of these for sale locally which complicates things further. I typically take guitars to a local shop and just ask them but with a semi-hollow you're of course concerned with tone as well.

Are there model years where these guitars were just made better ? Any trouble spots to ask about or watch out for ? Any other advice for a buyer ?

I'd started down the 335/339 road but see many H535's for sale in the $1500 range a few years old. How are the stock pickups ?

Thanks,

Ben

I'm shopping for a new H535/555 and wanted some advice from experienced owners. I've heard they're great guitars but have an intimidating reputation for uneven quality control or maybe just uneven sound. There aren't tons of these for sale locally which complicates things further. I typically take guitars to a local shop and just ask them but with a semi-hollow you're of course concerned with tone as well.

Are there model years where these guitars were just made better ? Any trouble spots to ask about or watch out for ? Any other advice for a buyer ?

I'd started down the 335/339 road but see many H535's for sale in the $1500 range a few years old. How are the stock pickups ?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the HOC!

The only QC concerns I've seen leveled at Heritage guitars are the same ones you'll find aimed at Gibson. Nut issues or frets that need to be dressed. Nobody wants these issues of course but if they do happen they are an easy enough fix.

Regarding tone, there are endless accounts of how you have to try dozens of Gibsons until you find 'the one' tone wise. I do not see this criticism aimed at Heritage guitars ever.

I had a 335 that sounded good but needed some work (nut, frets). I ultimately found it to be too heavy. I also had a 330L that looked amazing but tone wise was completely dead. I've owned 4 Heritage guitars so far and all of them have had tone in spades!

Some of the veteran members here should have specifics regarding years they think you should watch out for (if there are any).

I had a momentary lapse in judgment and sold my last 535 but I won't make that mistake the next time I am fortunate enough to own one! Best of luck with your search. :D

I've heard they're great guitars but have an intimidating reputation for uneven quality control or maybe just uneven sound.

Just curious--where did you hear that from?

I bought my H555 used, but it's still like brand new. Every H555 I've played has been absolutely FLAWLESS. And they have the "tone!"

So, take your pick. Do you want something that has been made by machines on an assembly line by uninspired workers under a quota system (Gibson), or do you want something hand-made by employees who actually enjoy their work, and take the time to do it right? (Heritage)

By the way, there's a couple for sale on Ebay right now!

I bought a guitar off of them a year or so ago, and though I had to return it, they were very helpful and courteous about it:

H-535, brand new

This one seems nice:

H-555, used

Hi Ben - I've both a 535 and 555 and they're both excellent guitars quality and sound-wise. I'm not aware of better years versus others - I've an '02 and '09 and they're both consistent and very well made. Good wood. I was where you were in '02, wanted a good semi, heard about Heritage, found one (and only one - not a lot around here) locally that was amazingly good. Wanted a different finish, so ended up buying new from a dealer across the country. One of the best guitar buys I've done.

My 535 is a bit lighter than the 555, the 555 has an ebony fingerboard versus rosewood fb on the 535. Other than the fb the rest of the difference is in aesthetics (inlays, binding, etc). Heritage uses a variety of pickups, although for used guitars one might say that Schallers are 'stock'. These can be visually seen for the '2 per side' adjustment screws. These are fine pickups although you'll often find seymour duncan pickups in these guitars right from the factory. And since so many guitars are custom ordered, may find other pickups as well. I can't leave well enough alone and most all my guitars so have swapped pickups in mine, but that's just personal preference and likely mostly in my head anyway.

I would not worry about 'uneven quality control or... uneven sound' when it comes to Heritage guitars. All Heritage (new and used) guitatrs that I have tried so far have been fantastic. I cannot say that about Gibson and I own 4 Gibson custom guitars. Just make sure that any used Heritage guitar you purchase has been well looked after and not abused. You can't go wrong with Heritage.

Although many of the techniques and manufacturing equipment are from the '50's , you will find that all Heritage guitars are more consistant than the coveted originals made at this Kalamazoo plant.

That is one of the miracles of the Heritage brand, they can consistantly make instruments of the quality of the finest of the handmade originals , without the variables that large production brings..... (Heritage makes instruments in small quantities only) .

We find this to be proven again and again.... no "bad years" at all...

Another 535 & 555 owner here. NO complaints about QC, Tone or Weight. They are both fantastic instruments. Don't listen to the crap you'll hear from other Gibson owners, especially as compared to Heritage. Over the years I've had 2 brand new Gibsons returned to them for replacement instruments due to defects. By far they were the most expensive guitars I ever purchased. The replacement guitars were only marginally better, and the time and aggravation to ship back and forth to the factory was a real turn-off. I still have those Gibsons, but they do not get played as much as my Heritage 535 and 555. If you are a player, you will understand why after you score your first Heritage.

From reading reviews of 339/359 owners on the LP Forum, those gits had serious QC issues when they were first released. Hopefully they have been corrected, but I wouldn't take a chance, especially due to their high prices.

I would take a chance with ANY Heritage. To be completely up front with you, the quality of Heritage has improved since Vince Lewis took over the reigns on Parsons Street a few years ago. The biggest reason to buy a Heritage is the tone, quality, feel and mojo. These guitars come off the assembly line feeling, playing and sounding like a vintage guitar. That is no B.S.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you come up with.

Thanks,

Ben

I'll keep my reply as polite as possible. That is simply rediculus B.S. spread by someone or people that have never played one.

Are there the RARE exceptions, yes. But I have custom ordered 4 Heritages from the factory and they are among the finest guitars I have ever seen or played. I have owned 11 (currently own 8) Heritages and they are all incredible guitars.

As asked earliar, WHO SAID HERITAGE GUITAR ARE POOR QUALITY?????

Got a 19 year old H140 and it is completely stock. It is as much a beast today as it was then.

EVERY company will have issues from time to time and Heritage is no exception, the rub is how the company handles it. Heritage stands behind their guitars. Case in point, I got my 140 used. I sent a picture of it into Heritage (Ren responded) wanting to know a bit about it. The response came back with the info I wanted. A few days later, a box shows up at my office with new pickup rings from Heritage. My email to Ren had my work address in it. He noticed in the picture that the pickup rings were split. This was on a guitar that was 15 years old. Warrant had WAY run out on this thing by any account. THAT is customer service. THAT is pride in your product.

As far as any systematic issue, none. I would by with confidence. No matter what you buy, you will get a quality instrument and any issues will be, through the dealer, handled.

Heritage is great stuff.

Those that pass those negative rumors are, but not restricted to:

A.) Upset they don't build as fine a quality

B.) Upset their former employees are making better quality

C.) Upset Heritage pulled their dealership due to shady practices

D.) Honestly had an issue and didn't follow the proper channels to get it handled and rather sat and bitched about it

E.) Any mixture of A through D

F.) All of the above.

Wow, more responses than I bargained for. Thanks !

I'd seen a review on "Sheets of Sound" - I'll paste it here:

"3.5 out of 5 stars - Great guitar but somewhat inconsistent. The good ones rank up with the hamer but I've seen as many bad ones. They are notorious for bad necks and plekking only helps if the neck is straight. They have more of a hollow tone than the 335. I'm not sure why but I have the feeling the block isn't as wide as a true 335 or perhaps it's completely open in the middle for the pickups. This also effects the sustain as they don't sustain like a real 335. They also changed the body shape and thickness in recent years to make it more 335-like and got rid of the mickey-mouse ears. However, upper fret access is still a little uncomfortable for me."

I'm not trying to pick on Heritage as of course I'm interested in them. I'm not suggesting Gibson is any better. Indeed I've heard warnings about them from my trusted local shop. Sounds like Heritage would likely take care of me which is great. I think you all have answered my concerns.

I understand they've been Plek'd since 2004. Do many of you replace the stock pickups ?

I've heard complaints of 335's sounding "Tubby" which may be improper eq or maybe just their character. I'm getting this mostly for Blues/Rock as I already have full hollow archtop. The other guitar I was considering was an Eastman T184/185.

Thanks as well for posting a few that you guys saw for sale.

"3.5 out of 5 stars - Great guitar but somewhat inconsistent. The good ones rank up with the hamer but I've seen as many bad ones. They are notorious for bad necks and plekking only helps if the neck is straight. They have more of a hollow tone than the 335. I'm not sure why but I have the feeling the block isn't as wide as a true 335 or perhaps it's completely open in the middle for the pickups. This also effects the sustain as they don't sustain like a real 335. They also changed the body shape and thickness in recent years to make it more 335-like and got rid of the mickey-mouse ears. However, upper fret access is still a little uncomfortable for me."

I'm not trying to pick on Heritage as of course I'm interested in them. I'm not suggesting Gibson is any better. Indeed I've heard warnings about them from my trusted local shop. Sounds like Heritage would likely take care of me which is great. I think you all have answered my concerns.

I understand they've been Plek'd since 2004. Do many of you replace the stock pickups ?

I've heard complaints of 335's sounding "Tubby" which may be improper eq or maybe just their character. I'm getting this mostly for Blues/Rock as I already have full hollow archtop. The other guitar I was considering was an Eastman T184/185.

Thanks as well for posting a few that you guys saw for sale.

hi Ben 2 Thanks for inquiring about Heritage..The way I understand it Heritage fret work is done by hand, just like all the other construction processes of these FINE guitars..I don't have a 555 or 535, I'm more of a solid body guy, but trust me when I tell you, You can pay twice as much for a Gibson and get half the guitar!! I have probably the oldest H-140 on this board and I even broke the neck on it by my own stupidity, but after a good repair job, it is still the FINEST SOUNDING ELECTRIC GUITAR I"VE EVER OWNED!! Buy a Heritage with complete confidence!! My 2 Cents!! :D

"3.5 out of 5 stars - Great guitar but somewhat inconsistent. The good ones rank up with the hamer but I've seen as many bad ones.

Honestly, in my opinion, if it would have said "Gibson" on the headstock, he probably would have rated it higher.

They are notorious for bad necks and plekking only helps if the neck is straight.

Total BS. I've NEVER seen a bad neck on a Heritage. He's giving out incorrect infomation.

They have more of a hollow tone than the 335. I'm not sure why but I have the feeling the block isn't as wide as a true 335 or perhaps it's completely open in the middle for the pickups.

Notice, that is only HIS opinion--not fact!

This also effects the sustain as they don't sustain like a real 335.

What is a "real" 335? Again, strictly his opinion.

They also changed the body shape and thickness in recent years to make it more 335-like and got rid of the mickey-mouse ears. However, upper fret access is still a little uncomfortable for me."

All 335-style guitars have the same level upper-fret access. He's just whining because it's not a Gibson!

I understand they've been Plek'd since 2004.

They used to be; I'm not so sure if they still do it. The advantages of Plekking over an experienced luthier is debatable.

Do many of you replace the stock pickups?

Some don't like the stock Schallers; others love them. I've got SD Seth Lovers in mine, and they're staying put!

I follow the SOS author on youtube and TGP due to his excellent lessons. Here is a later review he did on TGP regarding Heritage guitars:

"I recently bought a Heritage Eagle Classic on the board here. For those of you not familiar, it's an L5 CES style instrument. 3" body, solid maple back and sides, carved spruce top, set-in humbuckers, 25.5" scale 5 piece neck with ebony fingerboard, etc. This instrument was made before they bought the Plek machine but in any event, doesn't need it. It plays wonderfully. Frets and action are fantastic. I have criticized Heritage in the past for neck/fret issues but I think their guitars have steadily improved to the point of being fantastic instruments. This instrument sounds better than the Gibson Wes Montgomery guitar I had a few years ago. I'd probably have to go back to my '64 L5CES to find a Gibson L5 that sounded as good.

Anyway, not trying to write a review here. Just putting out the word that the Heritage guitars are fantastic instruments and pennies on the dollar compared to the comparable Gibson. (And no, I'm not an endorser)"

Sounds like he needs to update that 535 review! :D

What notorious neck problems?

I sold guitars through the 90's and came in contact with Heritages every few months... necks weren't the problem. Keeping them in the store longer than a day was.

the neck on My H-140 frets cleanly all the way up to the pickups.!! Have we convinced you yet, Ben2? ;)

I've heard complaints of 335's sounding "Tubby" which may be improper eq or maybe just their character. I'm getting this mostly for Blues/Rock as I already have full hollow archtop.

Regarding tone, I'll let you judge for yourself!

Interesting how the 535/555 sounds different in the hands of different players eh? ;)

I follow the SOS author on youtube and TGP due to his excellent lessons. Here is a later review he did on TGP regarding Heritage guitars:

"I recently bought a Heritage Eagle Classic on the board here. For those of you not familiar, it's an L5 CES style instrument. 3" body, solid maple back and sides, carved spruce top, set-in humbuckers, 25.5" scale 5 piece neck with ebony fingerboard, etc. This instrument was made before they bought the Plek machine but in any event, doesn't need it. It plays wonderfully. Frets and action are fantastic. I have criticized Heritage in the past for neck/fret issues but I think their guitars have steadily improved to the point of being fantastic instruments. This instrument sounds better than the Gibson Wes Montgomery guitar I had a few years ago. I'd probably have to go back to my '64 L5CES to find a Gibson L5 that sounded as good.

Anyway, not trying to write a review here. Just putting out the word that the Heritage guitars are fantastic instruments and pennies on the dollar compared to the comparable Gibson. (And no, I'm not an endorser)"

Sounds like he needs to update that 535 review! ;)

Alright JP, way to come through with some credible info.

And really, I give the reviewer credit for coming clean on his negitive comments and reversing them.

Some reviewers on SOS sound like the notorious Ed Roman...ignorant and with an agenda.

Also, folks that take any online, website (or even a forum such as the HOC) opinion about an instrument without taking the time to personally pick up a desired instrument are doing themselves a diservice.

We all want to help, but negative comments suposedly from others, but brought to us by a new member, comes across as a troll. I hope that I am wrong, and that there is a legitimate search for more information about Heritage guitars.

Just to further emphasize how reviews and opinions change, here are some thoughts from the same reviewer regarding the ES339. First the review from his SOS page:

"Gibson ES-339 - The 339 is a 3/4 size 335 style guitar with a laminated top and back, full maple block, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard. The guitar is alledged by gibson to be a cross between a Les Paul and a 335. It's not quite that but it sounds damn fine and is one of the best bargains in their line, particularly coming out of the custom shop. It doesn't have the airyness of the sadowsky but if you lean more towards the rock/blues side that may be fine. It balances well at the expense of a little extra heft. Gorgeous and bloomy lead tones out of the bridge pickup and acceptable jazzy tones out of the neck. The Classic '57 pickups sound great too. Not quite as twangy as a full 335."

Now some other opinions from the same guy posted at a later date on TGP:

"i hear you. QC on the 339s is *HORRIBLE*. I've had 4 of them. One was ok. The other ones had these problems:

Glue joint leakage into the endpin seam and neckjoint and the other one had the bridge screws into the body at an angle so that the strings hit the back of the bridge even when the tailpiece was as high as it could possibly go. I have heard that certain parts of that guitar are manufactured overseas and final finishing is done in Nashville. That might explain why it's over $1k less than the 335 and why QC is so poor. "

"Well, 3 out of 4 that i bought had issues. That's a worse failure rate than any other guitar I've bought. I've had multiple 335s, Les Pauls, Ibanez GB10s, Ibanez PM120s, strats, etc. MANY, MANY multiples of some of them. (probably 12 GB10s). None of them were as bad as the 339s and i've read many reports of bad fretwork, bad nuts, bad glue joints, etc. If you haven't seen this than you are not looking."

Again, I think he needs to update that review page. 'Nuff said.

My guess is he actually played the Eagle (since he said he owns it) and the second 339 and subcontracted the first reviews. We got a couple of thousand Heritage owners and several times that number guitars and I can't remember more than one issue with a neck other than nuts or a level & dress. I would not be surprised if that same issue has been repeted by dozens of retailers and it thus becomes dozens of twisted necks. If we order a custom and it comes back a different color and is thus retunred, that too might be considered a QC issue, to some.

Somebody once said: "if you wanna play the guitar, buy a Heritage, if you wanna sell it, buy a Gibson."

I own three Heritage guitars and they are all great and none needed a new set up or whatever. The tone ist pefect, the neck is perfect and everything else is perfect, too. Yes, I did some mods, because I wanted other pickups, but this was not because of any quality issues of the original pickups.

So far I only found one Gibson 335 which is as good as my 535 (the Gibson was 5.000 EUR, my Heritage was 1200 EUR, used, but in mint condition).

Keep in mind, the Gibson at that high price was AS GOOD as my Heritage 535, not better. Other Gibson ES models totally failed, compared to my H 535 and my H 555.

Depending on the music you play, I would go for a 535 or a 555. My 555 sounds a bit brighter than the 535 does. Both guitars a highly versatile instruments.

I am an owner of a 555. I only have three Heritage guitars. All three in their own way sound spectacular and are very well made. They are incredible in value for what I was lucky enough to pay for them. My 555 has Seth Lovers in it, and it is very, very versatile.

In my strongest opinion there is a reason why that 555 is such a wonderful instrument in comparison to other, similar type guitars...as well as the rest of the Heritage line tending to be wonderful instruments.

It has to do with the men and the girl who make the guitars! It's called "A passion for excellence."

Peace.

The 555 listed on eBay has a strange looking SN on the headstock. Has anyone seen where they separate the X (year) from the NNNNN? All that I've seen have them stamped together.

Has anyone seen where they separate the X (year) from the NNNNN? All that I've seen have them stamped together.

Yes, that is normal. I think they did that for awhile in 2006.

Archived