Heritage Owners Club

Very hard decision, I need help....

barrymclark

Well, the kinda help I REALLY need a team of psychiatrists couldn't handle.

What I am getting at is this:

When I started my quest for a Heritage, there was one model I wanted, so... so... so bad.

I had a color in mind and ever thing.

Well, one is available at a decent price.

Here is the hard part, I'd have to part with my blue 140 do get it. I do like the 140 I have. Sounds sick. Looks good but it wasn't my ideal choice. I gave up on that other model due to its relative rarity.

What would you do?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how attached you really are to the 140. There are many 140s out there. Sounds like there are few if any of your "quest" guitar.

If you give up your 140 and it's a horrible, miserable mistake (probably not a likely outcome), do you think you could somehow come close to replacing it over time? But buyer beware, "Always something greener on the other side of that hill"...

Unfortunately these are questions that only you can answer.

Hi 'Eric' ,

Here's my 'tears ' list : '59 Les Paul Jnr,'61 Strat,'63 Gretsch Tennessean,'64 Les Paul S.G.Jnr,'66 Epiphone Sorrento.I mourn the passing of these guitars.Most of the stuff since then,I still have.No help at all.is it ?

Peter Alton Green.

I would like to help you with your delemma . . . but I'm the wrong guy to try to offer help of this kind. I have zero discipline. I've been buying everything and anything Heritage that I've seen and liked in the past 6 months. But I do understand if you don't currently have the funds. Don't you have something else you could sell? Something that you don't have such a high level of emotional attachment with as you do with the 140?? Maybe sell one of your kids to the Gypsies?? That's what my Mom and Dad always told me they were going to do to me. You could probably get 2 or 3 grand on today's market for a poorly behaved child . . . maybe 5 grand if that have blonde hair!! On a more serious note . . . if there is any way that you can swing it, buy the damn guitar without selling your beloved 140. The Jaycee is right . . . you will regret it!!!

Depends on how attached you really are to the 140. There are many 140s out there. Sounds like there are few if any of your "quest" guitar.

If you give up your 140 and it's a horrible, miserable mistake (probably not a likely outcome), do you think you could somehow come close to replacing it over time? But buyer beware, "Always something greener on the other side of that hill"...

Unfortunately these are questions that only you can answer.

The kind of horrible it would have to be for me not to work with is it being in splinters. What I can't do, I have close friends who can help me out with such as a neck reset and so on. I like the 140, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I am attached. Save for this one guitar, I wouldn't give it up easily. Plays like a dream. Can growl like a beast or be the butter on bread. Just sick that way. But... like I said, my getting this one was a bit of a compromise. It was as close to what I really wanted that I could get. The model is hard enough come by, the finish that I wanted it in just put it out of reach. I spent a year or more trying to find one and even finding where HAD been sold was hard.

The 140 is a great guitar. No doubt. Here is where I am not attached to it:

I am not a blue, triple humbucker kind of guy. That is more modern, I am more classic that way.

Then, what's the issue??? Sell the damn thing and buy the one you lust for. I though that you were having trouble parting with a piece that you loved. Sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself that you don't need the 140. If that's the case, then you don't need the 140!!

I don't think it's that hard of a decision. You like the 140. But you really want the X-factor. I really liked my 157, but wanted a Millie. Really liked the Millie, but wanted a Prospect. Guess what? Got the Prospect and I LOVE IT. I say go for the one you've been lusting after.

Guest mgoetting
Well, the kinda help I REALLY need a team of psychiatrists couldn't handle.

What I am getting at is this:

When I started my quest for a Heritage, there was one model I wanted, so... so... so bad.

I had a color in mind and ever thing.

Well, one is available at a decent price.

Here is the hard part, I'd have to part with my blue 140 do get it. I do like the 140 I have. Sounds sick. Looks good but it wasn't my ideal choice. I gave up on that other model due to its relative rarity.

What would you do?

It's not that hard. Get the one you really want. We're talking about a guitar, not a wife. If you change your mind later, so what?

It is stressful, even paralyzing, to equivocate on these matters. You're not being impulsive. You've wanted the other guitar for some time. Just get it.

I don't want to read your obit someday that says, "He died of indecision and a broken heart. He was interred with his blue triplebucker, which really never suited him but will be his companion through eternity."

What kind of guitar are you interested in anyway?

BTW, I am board certified in psychiatry and neurology. But no charge for this consult.

It's not that hard. Get the one you really want. We're talking about a guitar, not a wife. If you change your mind later, so what?

It is stressful, even paralyzing, to equivocate on these matters. You're not being impulsive. You've wanted the other guitar for some time. Just get it.

I don't want to read your obit someday that says, "He died of indecision and a broken heart. He was interred with his blue triplebucker, which really never suited him but will be his companion through eternity."

What kind of guitar are you interested in anyway?

BTW, I am board certified in psychiatry and neurology. But no charge for this consult.

It is that black 147. On eBay. I won't be able to move on this till Tuesday. It might not even be there by then... but you never know. If it is, I am on it. I have to wait till Tuesday cause that is when my new card arrives. Get a cash advance then put the triple humbucker up when I have the 147 in my hands. Then put what I get from the 140 at the card I got the advance on then just work on the difference.

Here's to hoping it is there next Tuesday.

I have been looking for one of these for YEARS.

The difficulty, for me, is giving up a GREAT guitar.

This is the posting: 147

Bummer it doesn't have the original case and the knobs appear to have been changed out... but I can deal with that. Maybe pickup a case somewhere along the way.

Well, BC, I agree w/ya that that's one special 147. The pus don't look to be schallers with the single screw per side, but that's not a big deal... or at one time maybe schaller did have the single screw?

Good luck w/your decision, know it's tough to part with a guitar you like.

Well, BC, I agree w/ya that that's one special 147. The pus don't look to be schallers with the single screw per side, but that's not a big deal... or at one time maybe schaller did have the single screw?

Good luck w/your decision, know it's tough to part with a guitar you like.

You know, I don't know. The posting says they are still original. But.. I have also seen where there have been some Schallers with only the two screws... which is fine. I would end up doing that to it anyways. Maybe aftermarket rings. Don't know.

We will know next Tuesday if this has happened or not.

My credit card expired and the new one never made it to my house. So.... I gotta wait till the replacement arrives. It is supposed to be here Monday.

I love that 147. That is absolutely my dream 140/147. That will be in my grave with me. I can just look at that guitar all day.

Well, if I get it, the 140 will be up for grabs. I really hope someone here gets it as I know it will be loved on.

Picture

I would like to help you with your delemma . . . but I'm the wrong guy to try to offer help of this kind. I have zero discipline. I've been buying everything and anything Heritage that I've seen and liked in the past 6 months. But I do understand if you don't currently have the funds. Don't you have something else you could sell? Something that you don't have such a high level of emotional attachment with as you do with the 140?? Maybe sell one of your kids to the Gypsies?? That's what my Mom and Dad always told me they were going to do to me. You could probably get 2 or 3 grand on today's market for a poorly behaved child . . . maybe 5 grand if that have blonde hair!! On a more serious note . . . if there is any way that you can swing it, buy the damn guitar without selling your beloved 140. The Jaycee is right . . . you will regret it!!!

Mark..I say this as a friend and a fellow first series H-140 owner..DONT!!! By the way, what is the other guitar you are wanting?

I'm a newbie on HOC with no self control when it comes to guitar purchases but FWIW. Buy the new guitar and promise yourself that you will sell the one you like the least of the two. It could be an easy decision or it could take years to decide if ever. :huh:

Mark..I say this as a friend and a fellow first series H-140 owner..DONT!!! By the way, what is the other guitar you are wanting?

You lost me. Are you talking to Mark, Patrick... or me? haha. I am easily confused. :huh:

The 140 is a great guitar. No doubt. Here is where I am not attached to it:

I am not a blue, triple humbucker kind of guy. That is more modern, I am more classic that way.

The blue and triple humbuckers is why you will probably regrett getting rid of it in time, you just dont see that every day. It's surely your choice but you dont want to travel down the "god i would give anything to have that one back road".

martin d-28 herringbone acoustic, gixxxx lespaul custom, american telecaster in teal blue---> !! all 3 haunt me every day!!

There are no cracks in the wood, and the frets show only minor wear on the 1st couple frets of the 3rd string. I have it strung w/ 11 gauge Elixirs, and it has had a recent pro setup.

That is a sweet axe, barry. I don't believe that you would make a bad mistake by going for it.. provided that the frets are acceptable.

I'd try to get pics of the those first frets.. may help you decide. And look over the other pics carefully.

Maybe you'd wouldn't mind doing a bit of work on it ... to own your dream axe. It is very sweet. I'd lean towards going for it if you desire it more than your current one.

That is a sweet axe, barry. I don't believe that you would make a bad mistake by going for it.. provided that the frets are acceptable.

I'd try to get pics of the those first frets.. may help you decide. And look over the other pics carefully.

Maybe you'd wouldn't mind doing a bit of work on it ... to own your dream axe. It is very sweet. I'd lean towards going for it if you desire it more than your current one.

Oh, I just found that he has a nice photo album of it.

The frets do have a small wear, but not drastic. Needs a bit of light fret work, I'd say. It is a beauty.

I can't tell if that is a refret.. but it looks ok to me. I remember a ding by the bridge.. but otherwise sharp.

Guest mgoetting

Has anyone played a 147 before? I imagine it sounds much like a 140 but has a different feel.

Archived