Heritage Owners Club

Very hard decision, I need help....

barrymclark

Has anyone played a 147 before? I imagine it sounds much like a 140 but has a different feel.

It is to a 140 what a 157 is to a 150... basically.

Basically the same but with an ebony fretboard and binding and MOP inlays on the headstock and block inlays.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not that hard. Get the one you really want. We're talking about a guitar, not a wife. If you change your mind later, so what?

It is stressful, even paralyzing, to equivocate on these matters. You're not being impulsive. You've wanted the other guitar for some time. Just get it.

I don't want to read your obit someday that says, "He died of indecision and a broken heart. He was interred with his blue triplebucker, which really never suited him but will be his companion through eternity."

What kind of guitar are you interested in anyway?

BTW, I am board certified in psychiatry and neurology. But no charge for this consult.

So you say its easier to replace a guitar than a wife, blasphemy!

I have played for over 20 years. I have bought and sold/traded a lot of guitars and I regret losing all but two of them. The two I dont regret I should have never bought as they did not fit me or my needs at all. I currently own only one heritage but it has became the end all for me, i rarely play any of my other guitars. I would like to have another Heritage with p90's it would fit the kind of music my band plays very well, but this is the first time in 20 years I am not Jonesing for a new guitar. In other words, I could not part with mine. I think I just wrote a Heritage ad!

Just buy the other one. The universe rewards action. So do something, don't just sit there fretting (heh) about what to do. If you make a sub-optimal decision, correct your course as you go. The opposite of action is not inaction, it is contentment. Action is rewarded, contentment is punished...the universe doesn't want you to be content.

Hi Barry,

That 147 might very well need some work. So what? You never know fo sho until you open the case, tune it, plug in, and go for the first ride. The rarity should make it easy to sell should you wish down the road, market value will be stable. Short term hurt is worth the long term pleasure.

Just do it!

:lol:

Barry, here's my 2 cents.

You currently own one of the most unique 140's on the planet. Contrary to your comments, you've obviously bonded with it, because each time you speak of it, you heap mountains of praise on its sonic capabilities.

Now that you've started lusting after a very sexy 140 variant, you've turned your fickle heart towards this new H147. Dude, you are a man. That is what we do! We may be in a commited relationship, even a marriage to a sweet woman. Then some pretty little thing comes along and causes all of your testosterone to go into hyper-drive. Then you are ready to leave your girlfriend or wife or even your triple pickup H140 for a new love.

My advice is to take the tribal route. That's right. Keep your current love (H140 triple) and take on the 147 as well. Call it concubine logic. We cannot do this with our other ladies, but it is perfectly acceptable, even recommended to take on another guitar lover. Just ask any of the enablers here at the HOC!!

Sell something other than the 140. Keep that guitar. You may eventually become the King of Unique 140's! Who knows, you might even become the Brent of 140 collectors!

Go for it, Barry.

I wouldn't want you to look back with temporarily self-justified regret by selling your blue baby girl.

OK, that's a bit more than 2 cents, but you get my drift.

I still waffling on this one....

I have indeed gushed on my blue one. I am not a fan of the blue personally, but it isn't an ugly guitar. Quite nice, actually. Just not my thing. The tone on that thing is just gross. That is my real hang up. What if the 'sauce' or 'mojo' in the 147 isn't anywhere close to my 140? That is my worry. I'd rather have a guitar I am not as fond of the looks of and sounds great than a guitar I am in love with the looks of and isn't as audibly appealing to me. You know?

Of course... I could always just have my 140 refinished and redone in the manner of an H147. :D

Anyways, having both is just out of the question. It would have to be one of the other. Can't afford otherwise.

I like that my 140 is all Heritage down to the case. The 147, sadly is not. Staplocks, SKB case. All that. I mean, a case is a case and there to be abused but it is still a nice complete package.

I have til Tuesday (voices carry... sorry... an 80's moment) to make up my mind.

I could honestly see myself regretting getting rid of the 140 I have.

Guest mgoetting
The blue and triple humbuckers is why you will probably regrett getting rid of it in time, you just dont see that every day. It's surely your choice but you dont want to travel down the "god i would give anything to have that one back road".

martin d-28 herringbone acoustic, gixxxx lespaul custom, american telecaster in teal blue---> !! all 3 haunt me every day!!

If that happens, have them make you one. It's not hopeless.

I don't think they build them worse today than 10-20 years ago. So it can be replaced. The solids are not like the acoustics where aging is a plus. Am I wrong on this?

If that happens, have them make you one. It's not hopeless.

I don't think they build them worse today than 10-20 years ago. So it can be replaced. The solids are not like the acoustics where aging is a plus. Am I wrong on this?

It does and it doesn't. Not the same way as an acoustic.

The gold harware also has some pitting on the H147. :D

The blue isn't the part I'd be wary of losing. Or the triple humbucker. It is just how good is sounds.

Of course, if I can't sell my 140 and I get the 147, I will be in a bit of a deep pile for a bit.

Probably take about $300 in repair/replacement work getting it back to all stock and that would include finding an 'era' brown case.

The gold harware also has some pitting on the H147. :D

The blue isn't the part I'd be wary of losing. Or the triple humbucker. It is just how good is sounds.

Of course, if I can't sell my 140 and I get the 147, I will be in a bit of a deep pile for a bit.

Probably take about $300 in repair/replacement work getting it back to all stock and that would include finding an 'era' brown case.

Can you ask for 48 hour inspection? time to make sure it's OK?

My advice is to take the tribal route. That's right. Keep your current love (H140 triple) and take on the 147 as well. Call it concubine logic. We cannot do this with our other ladies, but it is perfectly acceptable, even recommended to take on another guitar lover. Just ask any of the enablers here at the HOC!!

This, my friends, is the voice of experience and insight! LMAO, Tim! Brilliant metaphor!

I still waffling on this one....

I have indeed gushed on my blue one. I am not a fan of the blue personally, but it isn't an ugly guitar. Quite nice, actually. Just not my thing. The tone on that thing is just gross. That is my real hang up. What if the 'sauce' or 'mojo' in the 147 isn't anywhere close to my 140? That is my worry. I'd rather have a guitar I am not as fond of the looks of and sounds great than a guitar I am in love with the looks of and isn't as audibly appealing to me. You know?

Of course... I could always just have my 140 refinished and redone in the manner of an H147. :D

Anyways, having both is just out of the question. It would have to be one of the other. Can't afford otherwise.

I like that my 140 is all Heritage down to the case. The 147, sadly is not. Staplocks, SKB case. All that. I mean, a case is a case and there to be abused but it is still a nice complete package.

I have til Tuesday (voices carry... sorry... an 80's moment) to make up my mind.

I could honestly see myself regretting getting rid of the 140 I have.

The blue one is nice and you've regretted changing pickups in it once and changed back, if I remember correctly. ( but weren't those EMG's or something )

The 147 will be sonically very close to it, but it doesn't look like Schaller pickups in it to me, but again those would be cheap to install and I think that you'll find those around here easily. ( Or maybe the rings have been replaced and they are the original Schallers )

I am probably not as critical about a guitar having a certain sound as you are. I seem to like almost anything for it's particular purpose.. .. it just takes a bit of knob twisting on the amp for me to be happy.

Well , you do have a dilemma , this 147 would represent a slight change and while you can get it really close to the blue 140's sound.. it may not sound just like the 140 sound right out of the box.

Guest mgoetting

Don't agonize over the tone difference between those two wonderful guitars. I'm not trying to start trouble again, but I believe the pickups, strings, the attack, where you pluck the strings and the amp are stronger determinates to tone. The ebony fretboard might have some effect. Otherwise what's the difference?

I handed my Milli to a fantastic Strat player tonight. Guess how he sounded? Fantastic.

I once saw Eric Clapton play an L5. Guess who he sounded like? Eric Clapton.

Get my drift?

You can pick up a 157 Black Beauty on from Nick G. It looks the same as the 147, from the front anyway. I would be astounded if you were disappointed with the tone.

Don't worry about it. Really.

Well, it isn't so much agonizing. It just isn't common for me to find a guitar that just sounds the way I want it to sound. Truly, anything I play will sound like me (translate to crap) but I have an ideal of how I have always wanted a solid body to sound and I have found it in this instance of a H140.

As much as I am a firm believer in the player makes up a substantial portion of tone, the guitar cannot be underestimated in this respect. For me, my 140, soundwise, is the alignment of stars. All is right with the world. Surely I have played great guitars and owned great guitars. They all sounded fine. But... when I got my 140, I knew what I was missing.

I am always in that search for that completion. The guitar that takes may manner of play and turns it into a sound that I want to hear.

I have found it acoustically in my old Gibson J55 and, in a solid body, in my H140.

An Eagle or a 575 is on my list of wants for a jazz box when I can get to it. In the end, I just want a nice stable of everything is perfect guitars. I made a bigger fuss over the blue than I should. I posted elsewhere today, when I play the 140, I either don't see the blue, or the blue is just beautiful.

I sometimes regret selling that GT 140...it had great tone with the schallers...i would keep the blue 140

It had been some time since I played it that I was considering letting it go. I posted elsewhere on here that I played it while waiting for some software to install. As I played it, it took me some time to realize it, but I couldn't imagine not having that guitar. I didn't notice the blue or anything. It just sounded beautiful.

This close call did it for me. If I can help it, it is staying with me. I would have absolutely regretted it.

I thought about grabbing that 147, too, but personally I like your 140 better. I've seen other 147s before, but never a 3-pickup 140. It's probably one of a kind.

I believe it is. Ren didn't believe I had one. haha. He immediately asked for pictures. After he got the pictures, he said, "That is definitely our work."

Well it is relisted and now it is an auction. The BIN didn't change any. Well, it is a buck less, but 999 or 1000. Whatever. haha. The auction starts at $899. I still can't do anything until Tuesday either way. With regards to my 140: it isn't going anywhere. After playing it yesterday for a couple of hours, I can't imagine not having it.

I believe it is. Ren didn't believe I had one. haha. He immediately asked for pictures. After he got the pictures, he said, "That is definitely our work."

Well it is relisted and now it is an auction. The BIN didn't change any. Well, it is a buck less, but 999 or 1000. Whatever. haha. The auction starts at $899. I still can't do anything until Tuesday either way. With regards to my 140: it isn't going anywhere. After playing it yesterday for a couple of hours, I can't imagine not having it.

Congratulations! I did not enter the "fray" on this post, but all along, I was hoping you would not ditch your beautiful 140, for all the reasons mentioned. Will you and the guitar be at PSPIII?

Archived