Heritage Owners Club

1 volume knob for both pickups?

the jayce

Was wondering If anyone has had there heritage wired so that there is one volume to control both pickups, similar to a strat configuration. I would like to bypass the neck pickup volume altogether. And If so is it something a guy can do himself or should it be taken in? Thanks.

You should be able to find some help here. You will need to know how to use a soldering iron.... really know how to use one. :mad: Then try and find a schematic diagram of the circuit you want.

I really don't under stand what you are trying to get out of this set up. Do you want the neck pick up volume on or off? I am no Strat player.

I find it much more convenient I suppose to have just one master volume. I like to toggle the tone selector alot during rythms and solo's and the extra volume control for the neck pickup is just a little to much to have to moniter with everything else thats going on.

However as tbone was saying I could possibly lose some tone that way and that wouldnt be a good thing either. As long as it wasnt to much of a tone varience I will probably still convert it over. Worrying about accidentally bumping one volume louder than the other and constently monitering 2 volumes is just a bit much. 1 master volume is so much nicer. Just like stratocasters, a tone knob for each pickup is great! and 1 master volume so no matter where your flicking that pickup selector the volume is the same.

( simplicity)------> a wonderfull thing.

Thanks for the responses, I'll definetaly be doing some schematics research and go ahead with the conversion.

I think it's a good idea. A Telecaster has 1 volume and 1 tone and a selector switch, perfect.

I totally agree. I'm awaiting the arrival of my H 150, and it will be my first bucker guitar, and am anticipating a big adjustment to 4 knobs, to the usual 2 I'm accustomed to.

stream of conciousness here...but..

Having two volume knobs is really having two "outlets" so you get mixing by varying the "vol" on each knob. Not the "keep it simple theory", aka strats, or my PRS Soapbar SEII, which also has one volume knob and one tone knob for two pickups.

So, I guess it boils down to being able to blend outputs...

in my own playing, I am used to the one vol knob too, and playing my Millie's w/twin vol. knobs has taken some getting used to.

back to your discussion :D

stream of conciousness here...but..

Having two volume knobs is really having two "outlets" so you get mixing by varying the "vol" on each knob. Not the "keep it simple theory", aka strats, or my PRS Soapbar SEII, which also has one volume knob and one tone knob for two pickups.

So, I guess it boils down to being able to blend outputs...

in my own playing, I am used to the one vol knob too, and playing my Millie's w/twin vol. knobs has taken some getting used to.

back to your discussion :D

I got one for you. My Millie had Master Tone, 1 Vol neck, 1 Vol bridge and ........ ready? 1 Vol for Piezo!! Try keeping track of that!

Guest mgoetting
I got one for you. My Millie had Master Tone, 1 Vol neck, 1 Vol bridge and ........ ready? 1 Vol for Piezo!! Try keeping track of that!

Tell me more about this piezo. I know PRS Hollowbodies have this.

Tell me more about this piezo. I know PRS Hollowbodies have this.

I had a 2001 Millennium SAE. It had a factory installed piezo in the bridge. It was actually an offering for a while. I think up until the new web design. Mine was an arch top/back, very cool guitar. The piezo does just what all the others do -- attempts to sound like an acoustic guitar. I used an LR Bagg Para DI as a preamp to contour the sounds. Was fairly convincing in the mix.

This is the baby. I sold it to a close friend, so I still get to see it every now and then.

mil-sae-incase2.jpg

If I were going to go Piezo/Acoustic in another guitar, I think I'd try the Lashbrook NaturAcoustic Bridge. Vids look cool.

main_naturaflipgif.gif

well.. I guess it's a give and take. I have a few guitars that have one volume one tone, some with two volumes one tone, and then the 2 vol 2 tone set up. also depends on I guess what you are doing with the guitar, and how often you mix pickups.

I find it much more convenient I suppose to have just one master volume. I like to toggle the tone selector alot during rythms and solo's and the extra volume control for the neck pickup is just a little to much to have to moniter with everything else thats going on.

However as tbone was saying I could possibly lose some tone that way and that wouldnt be a good thing either. As long as it wasnt to much of a tone varience I will probably still convert it over. Worrying about accidentally bumping one volume louder than the other and constently monitering 2 volumes is just a bit much. 1 master volume is so much nicer. Just like stratocasters, a tone knob for each pickup is great! and 1 master volume so no matter where your flicking that pickup selector the volume is the same.

( simplicity)------> a wonderfull thing.

Thanks for the responses, I'll definetaly be doing some schematics research and go ahead with the conversion.

My 2 cents..I Leave both volumes full up and set the channels on my amp at different levels..YMMV.. :D

My 2 cents..I Leave both volumes full up and set the channels on my amp at different levels..YMMV.. :headbang:

It doesn't get any simpler than a volume pedal, right?

On a two-pickup guitar, having volume and tone controls for each pickup allows for a wide selection of tones. One pickup can be set for lead volume/tone, while the other is set for rhythm volume/tone, for instance, with the pickup selector switch acting as the lead/rhythm switch. Also, with the pickup selector switch in the middle and both pickups activated, two tones and two volumes give vast choices when blending both pickups. That said, only two of my axes have the two-volume and two-tone setup, with another having a two-volume and master tone setup. I ordered my custom Heritage with one tone and one volume, so there is also something to be said for simplicity.

It doesn't get any simpler than a volume pedal, right?

Until you find out the vol pedal is sucking the response, and probably tone, right out of your set up. Had an EB, jr. for a while. Was fun to play with (vol swells, quiet passages), but I sure could tell the difference in my rig when I removed it from the chain. :headbang:

On a two-pickup guitar, having volume and tone controls for each pickup allows for a wide selection of tones. One pickup can be set for lead volume/tone, while the other is set for rhythm volume/tone, for instance, with the pickup selector switch acting as the lead/rhythm switch. Also, with the pickup selector switch in the middle and both pickups activated, two tones and two volumes give vast choices when blending both pickups.

+1

This is how I use guitars with 2+2 pots. Huge versatility in tones and, if you set up your lead and rhythm tones, very little playing with the controls mid-song.

Until you find out the vol pedal is sucking the response, and probably tone, right out of your set up. Had an EB, jr. for a while. Was fun to play with (vol swells, quiet passages), but I sure could tell the difference in my rig when I removed it from the chain. :thumbsup:

I've never had a volume pedal..But I Loves me some Dunlop Crybaby!! Especially when you can find those in-between tones that almost bring a tear to your eye!

Stick the selector switch in the middle position. Start with both volume nobs full up. Now back one down a bit. Now back the other down a bit. Now start experimenting by blending the volumes. You can thank me later.

Archived