Heritage Owners Club

100+ Watt Live Amp

976DAVE

Thanks for all the string help yesterday, but I hope I'm not testing your patience seeking even more advice just 24 hours into finding this board.

As described before, I play in an active modern rock band, and my 535 with Seymour Duncan 59's is usually heavily distorted with high gain. I need at least a 100 watt amp to play live shows, but not much more than that. Obviously portability is a concern, so I don't want to go too large. I play out of a JCM-900 Marshall head and 4x12 Cab at the moment (borrowed).

I am leaning towards a solid state amp due to the lack of upkeep required and cheaper prices. The Line 6's are neat, but not necessary, as I don't change my tone that often. There's a clean sound and a loud sound when I play, the rest I adjust on the guitar myself with the pickup toggle or tone knobs.

Anybody have any experience playing live non-Jazz and non-Blues shows with a 535? Obviously I'll need to test the amps out myself, but I really don't even know where to start. Most venues have a sound system and mic the amps, and some even have extravagant setups with amps present (this is common in NYC, since transportation is nearly impossible), so I don't need something huge.

Thanks - Dave

what's your budget?

I'd look for a JCM800 & use a pedal for the heavier stuff....or you can spend a lot more money & get a diesel/mesa/whatever

the Soldano SLO 100w heads are great too, if you can find one used

Hi Dave,

if you don't want to spend to much money, check out the Egnater Renegade. I checked a 2 x 12 combo version and I was really impressed.

The amp offers EL 34 AND 6L6 valves and has a lot of very nice features.

Bruce Egnater ist one of the best amp developers. Eventhought they are made in China, it's a very good quality for an affordable price.

Check out youtube, there are some clips.

Cheers

Wolfi

100 watt has always been the rule of thumb for live shows (assuming there is no sound system and you're playing outside, 60 may not cut it).

Combos are most appealing to me because of their portability.

I will check out the Egnater amps, this is why I love boards like these, I would have never heard of this brand on my own.

Oddly, the JCM800's I've played through just don't sound as good as the 900's. Don't know if its because they don't have the extra gain on them or if its just because they're older. The 2000 model is overkill in my opinion.

If money and portability were not an issue I'd get a mesa dual rectifier and turn it up annoyingly loud. But I'd like to keep this under $1k.

Hey 976DAVE.

If volume is what you are after, I offer that a 100w amp through a number/type of speakers won't have a much more appreciable volume than a 50w through that same number/type of speakers.

I think it is only a 3db difference between the two amps.

I'd put my 50w Vox in a metal band with no worries at all. Throw it on a 2x12 or a 4x12 and I can play a large outside venue with no issues at all.

Have you considered looking at the Carvin Vai Legacy series? It might be tough to find someone who has one to try out, but it fits the bill. They run about $900 for the 100 watt combo 2x12. You could have a spare 4x12 cab if you need more for special situations.

I know there are several Carvin fans on the HOC who might be able to tell you the details on how they sound.

Since most of the venues you play at mic the amps, the need for 100 watts is not true. So is the idea that 100 watts being the rule of thumb for live shows...even 50 watts can get nearly as loud as 100. And don't forget that a 100 watt solid state amp can't keep up at all with a 50 watt tube amp volume wise, all other things equal. Check out the Mesa Electro-Dyne, it has variable power settings, MUCH better built than any Marshall currently produced, and has British tone. Spendy but worth it.

This has really opened my eyes, thanks for the help. I will look at 50 watt amps now, intrigued by the mesa and the marshalls mentioned above. I suppose a 50 watt tube amp might be a better option than a massive solid state.

Band practice tonight, highlight of my week. The practice space we use has multiple amps in it, I will check out some of the smaller ones today.

The music is what you'd hear on college radio these days. Can only describe our particular sound as Awesome.

the smaller combos should be fine for just about anything. You just need to find one with the features and sound that you need. it could be new, or used. Things like number of channels, good clean channel, switchable effects loop, separate channel EQ controls. Those are all things to consider. Master volumes are also a good thing, as are footswitchable solo boosts and EQs.

If you have any questions about the amps I own, just ask. some of them are kinda overkill, but many 100 watt amps also can sound good at lower volumes, and then you have the overhead if you want it.

No arguments with the previous replies, particularly the Egnater and Marshall DSL/TSL suggestions but, if you want to consider solid state or hybrid, you could check out EvilBay for a Marshall JMP-1 or Tech 21 PSA1 preamp and either a solid state power amp like a Marshall 8008 or a Rocktron Velocity or a tube amp like a Marshall 20/20. Add a MIDI Mouse or a Rolls board + a 2x12 cab and you'll have a loud and versatile rig that's easy to transport.

Just a thought!

100 watt has always been the rule of thumb for live shows (assuming there is no sound system and you're playing outside, 60 may not cut it).

100 Watts? Holy Frijoles man, I have light bulbs in my bathroom that are 100 watts! What you want is the VHT Classic amp; 8 EL34 tubes thumping out 220 Watts of bone-crushing whomp! :)

Even an 18 watt (valve) amp puts up a wall of death when connected to 1 or 2 4x12 cabs. Be careful of what you wish for...

Ahh... Yeah I guess if you are playing outside you're gonna want an amp with more horsepower. If there is no PA system, or only a vocal PA system, you'll need a bigger amp, or a weaker drummer.

When I need it, this is what I bring with me: IT'S LIKE FREAKIN STONEHENGE!!

x100brig1.jpg

I also have another backup x-100B head, but this one is just LOUD.

When I need it, this is what I bring with me: IT'S LIKE FREAKIN STONEHENGE!!

"I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.That tended to understate the hugeness of the object."

That is a thing of beauty.

From what I've read it here, it looks like I'll be okay with a 2x12 cab and just about any size tube head. Now its just a matter of trying things out.

Yep. For the average gigging guitarist a 30w to 40w is plenty so long as you have the speakers to push some serious volume should you need it in terms of loudness.

Now.. a lower wattage tube amp performs differently than a higher wattage tube amp. Definitely listen to them all to see which you prefer. Lower wattage has less headroom and break up quicker. I rather like that about 50w.

Archived