Heritage Owners Club

NEW 46 YEAR OLD AMP DAY

LK155

1964 Gibson Falcon, formerly belonging to Kuz.

Here it is, hiding behind a very nice piece of Heritage wood.....

Aug92010004.jpg

And here's another shot showing some of my other trash.....

Aug92010002.jpg

2 x 6V6GT, 3 x 6EU7, 1 x 7199, 1 x 5Y3GT, reverb and tremolo.

Sounds great. Wonderful cleans. Unusually lush reverb. Deep tremolo.

Found a scanned copy of the original 1964 instruction manual, and this amp has a neat feature: you can feed a second amp, either with the reverb in the signal, or not. It's described this way: "The use of this Reverberation Amplifier with a Regular Amplifier will add a spacious liveliness to instrument reproduction that is far beyond the possibilities of single amplifier Reverberation." (Funny how some words apparently needed capitalization in 1964.)

I tried this, going from the Falcon into my previous setup (Digitech GNX4 into an old stereo receiver/speakers), set up the GNX4 for an essentially clean signal with just a touch of chorus, and man, does this thing sing! The GNX4 rig adds both depth (DMS full-range speakers) and width (the GNX4 converts the mono signal into stereo) and offers the opportunity to further process the signal however you want it. I think the added bottom end and the 3-channel stereo effect (the original Falcon's sound plus the GNX4 in stereo) are just the cat's ass. I never sounded so good in terms of spacious liveliness.

No significant hum with either single coils or P90's. A little random noise now and then making me think one of the tubes might be getting tired.

No, it doesn't sound like a Fender.

It has a darker sound. With either humbuckers or P90's, a very full, rich sound.

And my experience last weekend at PSP3 (that's where I picked it up) is that all you need to do for some serious crunch is rotate the loudness control clockwise.

I haven't yet tried recording anything with this setup. Don't know why it shouldn't work; the Falcon is just acting as an input source for the GNX4 recorder.

So I'm pleased.

Thanks to Kuz for a great deal on a great amp.

Lyle

That looks sweet with your H137. Just a cool vintage vibe and I'm sure tone too! I saw that in the barn but had to leave after the tour so I didn't get a chance to hear it. Looks great though!

Let me give Witness - the 137 + Falcon Amp is awesome!! Flip on the tremolo and it's all about the bayou, baby!! And it can be played with the volume down and only the reverb turned up. Think Thank You on LedZep II. Kewl score, Lyle!

hey, I don't suppose you could post the scanned instructions somewhere? I have a Gibson GA8 from the same era, has the "echo out" jack as well but I've never used it...is it supposed to go into the front of another amp, or is it just a speaker-out?

thx & congrats on the amp!!

Argh! Heard it! Loved it! Didn't get to play through it!! Should have done a couple of tunes with it, assuming permission granted, of course. It sounded great! And the price was certainly right! Great score, Lyle. Should be perfect for that basement room and some long winter days! And great to see and talk with you and Marg!

Argh! Heard it! Loved it! Didn't get to play through it!! Should have done a couple of tunes with it, assuming permission granted, of course. It sounded great! And the price was certainly right! Great score, Lyle. Should be perfect for that basement room and some long winter days! And great to see and talk with you and Marg!

Thanks, 'Slate.

And come on.....it's now a 'LOWER LEVEL', you know, not just a plebian BASEMENT.

As I said a few days ago in scenic Plainwell, it's always a pleasure hearing you play. Doesn't seem to matter much what axe or what amp, you just get the job done with grace, style, and taste. You're one of the players I put into the 'knows what he's doing' category.

When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

No, wait.

When I grow up, I want to be just like Vince Lewis.

Lyle

Archived