Heritage Owners Club

Heritage S.G.

peteraltongreen

O.K. Guys,

Here's one for you. How about a Heritage take on the S.G. guitar ? When I opened the 1962 Gibson guitar catalogue and saw the S.G. for the first time,I loved the look of the body,which was ,in 1962,ultra modern,but I didn't like the headstock,which I thought looked out of place,being traditional.It's taken years for me to just see and accept the S.G. as it,but now,with the Heritage headstock on it,it works great for me in every way.I've included a slightly crude illustration here.Comments anyone ? I Love it !

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1282687332_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

count me in.

faded cherry was never my fav color, but the Heritage Cherry would look good on that w/black pickguard.

O.K. Guys,

Here's one for you. How about a Heritage take on the S.G. guitar ? When I opened the 1962 Gibson guitar catalogue and saw the S.G. for the first time,I loved the look of the body,which was ,in 1962,ultra modern,but I didn't like the headstock,which I thought looked out of place,being traditional.It's taken years for me to just see and accept the S.G. as it,but now,with the Heritage headstock on it,it works great for me in every way.I've included a slightly crude illustration here.Comments anyone ? I Love it !

Peter Alton Green

put some P-90's on it and now we're talking!! :D

I think this is as close as you are going to get

IMG_0398.jpg

Excellent,Big Bob.That looks great.Thanks for the photo.

Peter Alton Green

O.K. Guys,

Peter Alton Green

Count me in. Looks like a slide machine.

In terms of the construction, I can say that the proto 140s are about as close as anything made is likely to come. We have had this discussion before about a Heritage SG type. My guess is if they wanted to they would have already done it. Who knows, maybe Wolfe will talk them into it!

The mentality might also be that they are looking at the market as defined by Gibby with regards to popularity of the SG style as compared to the LP and adjusting the LP sales numbers to Heritage 150/157 sales numbers they might get an idea of how many of these SGs would go... and it might not be too exciting. haha. Who knows. Maybe they just don't like it or there are aspects of the design they just don't like.

I even posted up a CAD drawing of an SG with a Heritage headstock once! haha.

I can see korina for the body but why a maple cap? Doesn't that pull from the basic design?

Is it this factor, alone, that make a scientist mad? I mean, have so much background, on-hand knowledge about odd tities?

Yeah... first edition 140's have a bit of an Sg air about them... especially the no maple cap ones.

But how cool to do that body shape.

( and Lance ... I don't think any Sg could stand up to your super dish, 3 mini bucker custom , it's freakin' awesome)

Hey! I like what you did with that picture - the Heritage headstock looked just fine. And yes, I agree, I like the SG body with it's horns, and would like to see a heritage model.

In terms of the construction, I can say that the proto 140s are about as close as anything made is likely to come. We have had this discussion before about a Heritage SG type. My guess is if they wanted to they would have already done it. Who knows, maybe Wolfe will talk them into it!

The mentality might also be that they are looking at the market as defined by Gibby with regards to popularity of the SG style as compared to the LP and adjusting the LP sales numbers to Heritage 150/157 sales numbers they might get an idea of how many of these SGs would go... and it might not be too exciting. haha. Who knows. Maybe they just don't like it or there are aspects of the design they just don't like.

I even posted up a CAD drawing of an SG with a Heritage headstock once! haha.

Hi Barrymclark

I realize Heritage are their own men,so to speak,and I certainly don't want them to copy the Gibson catalogue. I think all my suggestion is that I was so disappointed with the look of the original SG headstock in 1962,that in my mind,I'm trying to better that design.The Heritage headstock,which some people are not keen on,works perfect on an SG body.I like that headstock on any guitar they make.You may recall the Guild S100 SG type guitar.Same problem,really.Big,traditional headstock on an ultra modern body.Thanks for your input.

Peter Alton Green

you could get one of thesep2_uwseklzum_so.jpgp2_urzhqikmv_ss.jpg

but you had better have deep pockets

Hi BigBob,

Yes,that's nice with the slimmer headstock.I Like it.I always liked the Robin guitars,but we seldom saw them in the U.K.Thanks Bob.

Peter Alton Green

It looks great Pete, and the headstock really works. As I said last night on the phone, a couple of P90's would be superb and it looks like others agree with me!

Archived