Heritage Owners Club

New guitar day

big bob

So I've been waiting a long time to buy this. She came today about 4:00 pm. I could not get away until around 7:00. Un boxed her and let the case sit. when the case felt room temp I broke her open.

and this is what I found. good and bad .. First, the bad a 2" lacquer check on the neck at the body, and well considering the guitar was "prepared" by Graham at jays it was well grungy.. I'm a little bumed about the lacquer check, but have informed Jay wolfe and will speak with him tomorrow about having it fixed. The second surprise was the label, she is a 575 custom. not a sweet 16. thats it for the not so good. On to the good. The tap tuned spruce top is Killer. and the back is just crazy.. the guitar is definitely an employee guitar. you can see it all over. The arch on the back is huge. twice as big as my 575.. and the carve "dish" on the top and back are super deep (she looks pregnant from both sides). The weight, I don't know the actual weight but she can't be more than 6 lbs, yes a 16" 3 3/8 deep arch top at 6 lbs.. and the best part is the sound, HUGE this is louder than the 445 acoustic I had, and warm, but bright highs.. def. tap tuned by a good ear!

I'll know after I talk with Jay if she is a keeper.

024.jpg025.jpg

029.jpg030.jpg

031.jpg021.jpg

012.jpg

The day of the dichotomy has presented itself. Don't plan on sleeping? Play Guitar! You have multiples ;)

Wow, I think the back and the back of the neck are even more stunning than the front!! So, it has a pickup under the bridge, or what? What type of music did you intend this for? It's freakin' gorgeous, I hope you work it out with Wolfes.

I'll know after I talk with Jay if she is a keeper.

Right, like he is sitting at a computer reading this thread, wringing his hands worrying that you will axe fo' yo' money back. I'll bet you are playing that thing like a dog rolling in a dead skunk. It could have a spent condom in there and you would gratefully dig it out, press it in your family bible and go on as if it never happened. The saddest part of this rant is that I can't just drive across town and give you hell in person. "Just play the fu@#!n' thing!"

My buddy, Joe, stopped by Wolfe's when he went for a job interview in Jupiter two years ago. He said some of the Heritage's were filthy. The 550 slim I used to Jones for was thick with dust. Maybe they need to hire the "clean up woman."

Oh yeah, buy a camera.

The day of the dichotomy has presented itself. Don't plan on sleeping? Play Guitar! You have multiples ;)

If he has multiples he may need to get one of those dichotomies removed. I don't think I could sleep either.....

I was hoping for help with bridge Sidney, not a horoscope.

Right, like he is sitting at a computer reading this thread, wringing his hands worrying that you will axe fo' yo' money back. I'll bet you are playing that thing like a dog rolling in a dead skunk. It could have a spent condom in there and you would gratefully dig it out, press it in your family bible and go on as if it never happened. The saddest part of this rant is that I can't just drive across town and give you hell in person. "Just play the fu@#!n' thing!"

Jay seemed a reasonable even likable guy, and has been great to deal with so far.

schundog, no pickup in this one... I plan on using her for my lessons, and any acoustic stuff I want to play. + blues and rock. It sounds and plays very much like any quality acoustic.

I would mic it for amplification before I would go with a pezio or pickup. However I would imagine a floating pup could be added with a finger rest/pick guard.

I think the big surprise here is it's a 575. Don't see it, myself. Wonder if it's the internal bracing and carve design that makes it a 575 over a Sweetie. ;) Sure hope it all works out. Would love to see that at the picnic next year.

As for the dichotomies, can't you use infrared coagulation to treat those?

From an aesthetic standpoint I've always liked the fact that Heritage F-holes are larger

proportionally than other archtops. On this baby I can see that really contributing to

the volume and tone.

Archtop playability and feel with dreadnaught volume and tone....

Don't know if it can get into that territory but I'll bet

it's a darn sight closer than anything else out there.

Guest mgoetting

My opinion is to not sweat the lacquer crack. You are entitled to either return the guitar or get a partial refund, and I would suggest one or the other. There will be other cracks though. It's just a matter of when.

Ok I spoke with Jay and he is a stand up guy. He told me the check was there before shipping. He just forgot to tell me even though graham reminded him. He said we could send it to heritage for a fix, and he would pay. he also said I could have my local guy do the fix and he would foot the bill, or maybe work out a deal on a pickguard (then she could have a floater). but what ever the end he was real great about it.. I have an appointment with my guy on tuesday to see to the repair.

So she is a Keeper.

Tulk, as for the 575? she is x braced so not really like a 757. and she is 25.5 scale so not the same as a 575. maybe it's the solid arched back? could just be what marv felt like writing on the sticker.. sticker is a custom shop and says h-575 mfl?

and yea she has a huge sound. I'm gonna love this one.. and I still can't get over the super light weight.

SHE IS A KEEPER

Excellent choice! She just looks grandiose!

So, when do you break out the sawall and attach the tone-sucking, hillbilly crowbar? :blush:

Lance,

I am REALLY glad this is working out for you. You were SO excited.

I am not trying to slam Jay or Graham, but wouldn't the lacquer check be the first thing out of your mouth if you were describing the guitar over the phone???

I had a similar issue with a lacquer check that they "forgot" to mention on my 150 GT P-90. About 3/4 of an inch right out from the tone pot.

There same strategy worked on me too.... I ENDED UP IN LOVE WITH THE GUITAR AND COULDN'T"T MAKE MYSELF SEND IT BACK!!!!

Nice to see it is working out for you.

Archived