Heritage Owners Club

Tube Tone Sweet Spots

I've noticed lately that my recordings just don't sound as good as I like.... It doesn't matter what pedal or guitar I used, it just sounds flat or sterile. But I also know that I have a 60 watt tube amp that only gets turned up to maybe 3...

I'm wonder if my tone concern is from me not getting the sweet spot from the amp? Is it time to break down and buy an attenuator? I know I've mentioned it before, but I love my amp, but there is just something missing... Is it possible its just the tone in my fingers???

See if you can borrow someones Blues Jr. or a small champ and compare... maybe try turning up the amp and using the volume control on the guitar more...?

It may be that you need an attenuator to get that sweet spot out of the bassman. I hear the sweet spot is at 4 - and that's too loud for anybody.

See if you can borrow someones Blues Jr. or a small champ and compare... maybe try turning up the amp and using the volume control on the guitar more...?

I had one of those too and I could never turn that up to its sweet spot either... We are a rather "quiet" band as some of the auditioning drummers mentioned.

Actually found Jet City finally started selling theirs for about $250

I enjoy the Dr Z Brake Lite SA I bought last year. It works great here at home. But for performances, and recording, I think I'd want to upgrade to the Alex or I'm told the Ultimate Attenuator is also quite good.

I've used the Alex. First of all, it's got a lot more in it and outweighs standard attenuators by a lot. The thing doesn't just put a load on the amp, but puts different types of load on the amp to pretty exactly match the dynamics an amp would see from a speaker. Somehow, I doubt the JetCity would would have that level of sophistication.

I saw an Ultimate selling used for not much more than the $250 you quote for the Jet City, and an Alex offered for $100 more than that.

But, like I stated earlier, the lower end Dr Z I use has been well worth while. I'm sure you'd also like the JC.

I would think mic placement.

+1

If the amp sounds good live, to your ears, then you don't have the mic placed correctly. Try 1" from the grill on the edge of the center cap. Move out farther from the center cap for more lows.

If the amp doesn't sound fat enough live, then go back in time and get that 22watt Deluxe clone you had. A amp with 60watts is going to be really loud to hit the sweet spot of the tubes. I find my 12watt Headstrong Lil' King (Princeton Reverb clone) is quite enough volume in an "alive" room, and you can always mic it. IMHO, my 22watt Deluxe is the perfect amp for size and output power.

If the amp doesn't sound fat enough live, then go back in time and get that 22watt Deluxe clone you had.....

Fat chance of that happening!

Well, your right. Tone does start at your fingers. I doubt that's it though, and you've got the right mic. Unless you wanna drop $2k on a Royer it's tough to beat a 57. Unless you wanna drop $ on some good mic pre's, compressors and what not and you're not paying by the hour to record I'd play with mic placement, try going stereo and try different rooms. For instance, on the most recent track I recorded, I did 2 versions through Amplitube, 3 in one room and 2 in another and we blended all of them together at different levels. It's not always easy to get a good recorded sound. Try stuff out and have some fun with it. I have also spent time with iso cabs and it sounded great but at that point I was being tracked by $20k+ worth of gear, so it's kinda hard to say for sure how much was the effect of the iso cab.

What is the intent of the recording? Are you just trying to get good rehearsalrecordings? Are you making a demo or CD? I can give you some tips, but I needto know what you're trying to do for the best advice.

A bit of both I suppose... But I stopped using my amp for demo recordings... My iPad sounds better... For live situations I do play a bit louder.....

Archived