Heritage Owners Club

Should I Sand, File or Return 525?

Gitfiddler

I was getting reaquainted with my new 525 after being out of town for a week. Playing it acoustically is very satisfying. However, after a few minutes, I kept noticing this irritating squeaking as I played it. The noise was coming from the pick guard area as I rested my hand on it as I played. I need a guard since my nails and perspiration would wear out the finish where they rest on the body. The squeaky noise is transferred and louder when played through an amp. After careful inspection, I noticed that the pick guard was rubbing against the treble side P90 cover. The beautiful flame maple guard was cut a tiny bit too tight in that area. I tried to adjust the guard by loosening screws and such, but no luck. It is a bad cut. More specifically, it is a less than precise cut at that area. Pickguards can be tricky. Before screwing them down, the guard may look like it will fit perfectly. Then after tightening the screws you see a very slight mis-alignment. I think that is what happened here.

After removing the guard (and admiring the 525's new look) it became absolutely clear that it needed to be worked on. The opening needs to be widened a bit.

What do you guys recommend for a fix? Should I try to sand it, file it or simply return it to the factory for a professional job by Marv. I'm not the best DIY dude, and really do not want to screw up my new git. I'm no Cryoman. (Our HOC pickguard master craftsman) I'm more of a cryo-baby when it comes to finished wood working.

The guard is off and it really plays sweet. Played it for hours tonite and fell back in love. Hmmm...maybe there is another alternative. Leave it nekit.

I'd only modify it if you're comfortable with doing it and it won't possibly cause a finish problem on the guard.

contact Heritage and get an opinion from them.. they will take care of you.

(did you go through a dealer that is local to you, maybe they can help...)

Send the pick guard and guitar to me and I will take care of it for for free.

Go to Lowes or where ever and get a pack of Jeweler's Files. Take a touch off at a time. Be as careful as a butterfly floating over a clitoris and you should be fine.

I'd send at least the pickguard back with a letter of explanation.I'm sure that Heritage will want to guard their hard earned reputation,and will be more that eager to put it right.

Peter Alton Green :angel3:

If you enlarge the opening you will take off the nitro, and the maple underneath will absorb sweat and discolor, so, a d-i-y fix would also mean respraying/buffing the pickguard ... and man, what a pretty pickguard. (went back and double checked the pics, cause I thought I remembered the guard was what really impressed me about the guitar.)

The finish part makes this a professional repair, I think. So, unless dealer or Heritage would pick up the tab for a local repair, I would send at least the guard back.

Did you try, with the guard loose, putting a piece of cloth underneath the guard --between the guard and the pickup ear? If that's the rub, and the cloth eliminates it, you could try something maybe as simple as a couple of layers of masking tape, or, for something thicker and more permanent, I've seen repair guys used the stuff they sell to line jewelry boxes. Sometimes, just a little bit of lift on the guard also creates a bit more space around the cut for the pickup itself. Might at least be worth a try before having to send the guard away.

The pick guard on my 575 squeaked for a while when it was new. With time and playing it stopped. I might call your dealer and let him know your concern and then play the heck out of it for a couple of months. Your warranty is good for a year so if it does not stop you can always send it in later. If you are handy at all you could file or sand the area that rubs and re shoot the lacquer. It's not hard at all. But if you are uncomfortable doing that sort of thing I would say stay away.

put a dab of vegitable oil on the spot there it rubs, should take the squeak away...if not...id send the PG back for modififcation

+1

Try Brent's solution and if that doesn't work, call Heritage & send it back to them for correction.

Me, I would never send it back to Kzoo. If you feel comfortable you might chalk the P90 and install the guard then remove some wood like a dentist adjusting your bite with a small file and some sandpaper. When you have removed enough wood so it stops squeeking (allow for some addition space) StewMac sells some nitro sticks in a few colors to covers the bare wood. Not a big job for a tech either.

BTW do the P90 need to be raised or lowered? Lollar sells various thickness shims that fit under the dogears to balance the height and thus volume between neck and bridge. Just saying makes sense to optomise pup height before guard.

Great responses from all. I was concerned about exposing bare wood after sanding, and the ramifications of same down the road. The fit is so tight that a cloth or even a piece of blue painter's tape would not fit. It is squashed right up to the plastic pickup cover.

I better start with a call to the dealer to advise of the issue and then a call to Ren for technical direction. He'll know if it needs to be sent back or if a DIY is best.

The guard is very sweet and I don't want to damage it. I freaked out the first week of playing because it left pick scratches on it. It is also known as a scratch plate, Tim! That's going to happen. :rolleyes_mini:

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.

I freaked out the first week of playing because it left pick scratches on it. It is also known as a scratch plate, Tim! That's going to happen. :rolleyes_mini:

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.

Come on, Tim! You're a player! They were built to be played; that's what happens. In twenty years that'll be recognized and admired as honest wear and character.

Don't forget to allow for the possibility of humidity swelling the wood. Those pick guards are not sealed on the reverse side. It's very possible that the guard was cut to such a tight tolerance that it "drank" in a little humidity and swelled up just enough to make slight contact on the plastic. Sounds to me that if you chose to sand/file it yourself, you would need to take off such a small amount of material that you wouldn't need to respray it at all.

Don't forget to allow for the possibility of humidity swelling the wood. Those pick guards are not sealed on the reverse side. It's very possible that the guard was cut to such a tight tolerance that it "drank" in a little humidity and swelled up just enough to make slight contact on the plastic. Sounds to me that if you chose to sand/file it yourself, you would need to take off such a small amount of material that you wouldn't need to respray it at all.

Patrick, you may be correct about the increased humidity swelling the Maple guard. It was definitely cut too tightly. In fact it was a bit off center from the start. It only needs about a 5mm sanding, but since I'm so anal, I'm going to wait for the pros to walk me through this. Hey, it's my first and only custom order, so being picky about a pickguard comes with the territory.

Years from now, I'll still be in love with this beauty...But for now I've already heard back from the dealer and anticipate hearing from Heritage next week. Friday is their 'fishing day', I hear. :icon_profileright::icon_profileleft:

Here is a shot that gives a view of the pickguard touching the bridge pickup.

post-8-068088100 1287867365_thumb.jpg

Patrick, you may be correct about the increased humidity swelling the Maple guard. It was definitely cut too tightly. In fact it was a bit off center from the start. It only needs about a 5mm sanding, but since I'm so anal, I'm going to wait for the pros to walk me through this. Hey, it's my first and only custom order, so being picky about a pickguard comes with the territory.

Years from now, I'll still be in love with this beauty...But for now I've already heard back from the dealer and anticipate hearing from Heritage next week. Friday is their 'fishing day', I hear. :icon_profileright::icon_profileleft:

Here is a shot that gives a view of the pickguard touching the bridge pickup.

If you're going to send it back to the plant, you may want to ask them to wrap the binding into the pick up cut outs. They could probably cover everything except the screw hole.

post-1452-098694900 1287874662_thumb.jpg

Archived