Heritage Owners Club

602a

I state this qualifying that is only my bias....

I have always like the warmth, roundness, and bigger tone of rosewood fretboard over ebony on solid body & semi-solid body guitars. (I like ebony on acoustics & arch tops).

I have had ebony fretboard solid bodies (a couple black beauty LPs & a Robben Ford Fender) but the tone SEEMS like a quicker attack, sharper, cuts through but doesn't have the lows & low mids.

Now many think I am nuts on this issue, but 3 or 4 HOC members have reached out and agree 100% with me.

Just trying to help, your version my vary. (And all the ebony board solid bodies I have picked up/played, always weigh more. Huh? maybe just bad luck?)

I had an '05 H157. It was my first Heritage guitar. For me, too much bling. Double (triple?) Bound front and back + headstock, ebony board, gold hardware; just too much for me. Mine had '59s in it. Just never bonded with it, altho' it was probably one of the best 157 tops I'd ever seen at the time in OSB. It just did not respond like I expected. Maybe it was my expectations since I bought it to be my Heritage "LPC". Sold it to cosmicdebris in the UK. Oh, weight wise if was very heavy - exceeding 10lbs.

I had an '05 H157. It was my first Heritage guitar. For me, too much bling. Double (triple?) Bound front and back + headstock, ebony board, gold hardware; just too much for me. Mine had '59s in it. Just never bonded with it, altho' it was probably one of the best 157 tops I'd ever seen at the time in OSB. It just did not respond like I expected. Maybe it was my expectations since I bought it to be my Heritage "LPC". Sold it to cosmicdebris in the UK. Oh, weight wise if was very heavy - exceeding 10lbs.

Kenny; I agree about the bling on a solid body. Just doesn't seem to "fit" I had an old "Fretless Wonder" Black Beauty back in the day. Played "like butta". But I just couldn't get past the gold hardware and the multiple levels of binding . . as you stated. I won't say what happened to that guitar or who it went to because it will sound like a made up story . . . but, in retrospect, I should have taken the PAFs out of it and held onto them.

In fact, I don't particularly care for gold HW on anything other than an arch top . . . but that's just my opinion. If I didn't find a 555 with nickel hardware, I probably wouldn't even own one of those today.

I personally love H157s, own one, and given the choice all my 150s would probably be 157s. I don't dislike the gold hardware and my only problem with it is the tarnishing over time. In my way of thinking the tarnishing is something to be tolerated to get the tone, binding, and upscale attention that went into producing a piece that would be sold for significantly more money than the generic 150. I love the heavier woods used, though not all 157s are made heavy. The extra binding looks great and gives the guitar a traditional touch of elegance.

I believe the extra attention given a 157 during production translates directly into improved performance. There will be a greater chance for accuracy in all steps of the process and less chance for rattles or loose fits that would dampen the pure tone resonating within the mahogany. I can feel a difference in my hands and body through the surfaces I'm touching when the string is plucked. There is an edgy clarity to the note with minimal muffling. This can be used in dynamic attack on the instrument.

I have several guitars with ebony necks and other than the smoother surface that comes in handy during bends, I can see no significant difference in tone that isn't immediately masked or colored by pickup selection/adjustment and amp chain settings. The ebony is denser and can theoretically stiffen the neck, so this many or may not be a factor in the clarity I sense.

I was hesitant to respond to this thread, mainly because I am always looking for 157s and adding competitors of like mind only works against me when it comes time to make a deal for myself. On the other hand, I felt compelled to give an opinion and hopefully balance out the skewing of opinion against the 157s. I feel the same way about LP Customs and consider them both to be near the pinnacle of solid-body art and craftsmanship.

If you could only see the way she loves me

Then maybe you would understand

Why I feel this way about our love

And what I must do

Ok I know Guy has one and Fred has or had one but who has older 157"s and how do you like them. Weight wise and older pickup wise?

mine's not all that old, '06, but i like it just fine. goldtop (i'm not into goldtops in general), Lollar P-90's (i'm into P-90's), in the 8lb range. a great musician and Bill Chapin devote' told me it's his favorite non-Chapin electric. easily holds its own with Gibbies costing 2x as much

OMG.. I LOVE my 157 ... it is a 1994

It doesn't scream "bling" to me at all. .... there's no over-the-top flamey maple or attempt to recreate a aged vintage finish, just a super looking black gloss. It emanates class just like a tuxedo at a dinner party.

Mine weighs 9.5 lbs, if I remember correctly... less than some 150s, but not a feather either.

Tone... clarity , depth , complexity. ... it's all there. The Sheptone PAF pickups are REALLY lively with lots of openness and no mud and do a great variety of sounds with the wiring that is on my guitar.

IM000803.JPG

I personally love H157s, own one, and given the choice all my 150s would probably be 157s. I don't dislike the gold hardware and my only problem with it is the tarnishing over time. In my way of thinking the tarnishing is something to be tolerated to get the tone, binding, and upscale attention that went into producing a piece that would be sold for significantly more money than the generic 150. I love the heavier woods used, though not all 157s are made heavy. The extra binding looks great and gives the guitar a traditional touch of elegance.

I CANT AGREE MORE.

Yesterday I was speaking with Golferwave, I was stating my opinions with him too... I cant stand the unbound headstocks of 150's... as far as tone I am sure KUZ is right in his appeal to rosewood.... BUT, every guitar rig has adjustments for personal preferrences and tone, everywhere I play... I start first by altering my tone pot to what is appealing to my ears.... AND as soon as there is any accompanied audio, certain frequencies are multiplied some are ubtracted(laws of physics boys).

I really dont think the diffecnce in tone matters.... at all! Unless maybe you are recording or playing with yourself.

As far as hardware, its like putting chrome baby moons on a 57 chevy(matter of taste), gold can add style to a design, I think some people have sweat that reacts with the hardware and they hate how gold tarnishes badly for themselves... I however have that wonderful gentle sweat that doesnt react with the golds and I have zero preference as to hardware color and gold definitely makes some colors look better!!

Back to the original question.

OLDER 157's, Like what years...?

Mine have all weighed around 9-9.5 pounds, all comparable to a 150 in weight... same hardware and design.

Frank, pickups are completely your preference... You like Pearly gates, look for one with PG's or Sell whats in one and get your Favs...(like your last 150)

I rather like the bling; particularly the headstock binding. Head stocks tend to bump in to things and I think the binding helps protect against scuffs, scratches & dents.

Guys . . . . no one said that they hated 157s, or that they are ugly. They just aren't everyone's taste. Fred . . . yours in the picture you posted is a great looking guitar. Can't blame you at all for loving it. Someone mentioned the head stock on the 150s as being too plain. I really agree with that. I know it's off subject . . but I would love to see Heritage use the inlaid MOP logo instead of the decal or screened label. I would also love to see them screen something below the logo . . perpendicular to it . . . the way Gibson does with "Les Paul Model". It's just too plain and boring the way it is now. I do like that little inlay on the head stock of Fred's 157. I think it makes all the difference in the world.

OMG.. I LOVE my 157 ... it is a 1994

It doesn't scream "bling" to me at all. .... there's no over-the-top flamey maple or attempt to recreate a aged vintage finish, just a super looking black gloss. It emanates class just like a tuxedo at a dinner party.

Mine weighs 9.5 lbs, if I remember correctly... less than some 150s, but not a feather either.

Tone... clarity , depth , complexity. ... it's all there. The Sheptone PAF pickups are REALLY lively with lots of openness and no mud and do a great variety of sounds with the wiring that is on my guitar.

IM000803.JPG

Saw this on Youtube. Great sounding.

Here's the 157 I had. Sure didn't try to skew anything. Just gave an opinion. Aesthetically, it's just about what I'd like in a solid body, sans the back binding and the gold-tone hardware. My LPC has all that, and I absolutely love that guitar. Just never bonded with this one. Still one of my fav tops.

h157-incase1.jpgh157-fullbod.jpg

Here's the 157 I had. Sure didn't try to skew anything. Just gave an opinion. Aesthetically, it's just about what I'd like in a solid body, sans the back binding and the gold-tone hardware. My LPC has all that, and I absolutely love that guitar. Just never bonded with this one. Still one of my fav tops.

love it. much like my old (& unlamented) '78 LPC, only this is much prettier

I bought the 157 VIP on Ebay. After the sale ended made him a offer and he relisted it for 1100 and threw in a pair of Seth lover extra. Pretty good deal I think. Had looked at extra pic's he sent and the only mark is back of neck about the size of a ball point pen tip. If it's not good or I don't like it I'm not into my pocket too far to get it back. I had a 140 Vip and loved the sounds you could get.

I owned one of each at the same time and the 150 is now gone. As far as tone not really a difference maybe a tad warmer on the rosewood of the 150, but could of been pickups as well. My 157 has the shcallers and the 150 had hrw's which are slightly modified shcallers but the tone differences are not enough to make a difference, although the 157 owned the 150 when it came to attack.

I love all the extras of the 157's right down to the tarnishing gold hardware, infact when the gold starts rubbing off showing nickel underneath you can find no more cool vintage look than that. There is definetaly more attention givin to the 157's in the build, it's heritages king of solid bodies and most expensive so you know the quality of the build is as good as they can muster ( this is a les paul customs rival where talking about!) so it better be spot on. I can understand the side of something being to blingy but I just dont see how that can apply to a guitar, the more bling the better imo. Look at the martin d-100 for example, it's the be all end all of the acoustic world forever. Just my 2 cents worth, but when im jammin I like the fact that my guitars overdone fancyness is distracting the listner from my mistakes. :icon_compress:

I say bringgggggggggggggg the blinggggggggggggggg!

I owned one of each at the same time and the 150 is now gone. As far as tone not really a difference maybe a tad warmer on the rosewood of the 150, but could of been pickups as well. My 157 has the shcallers and the 150 had hrw's which are slightly modified shcallers but the tone differences are not enough to make a difference, although the 157 owned the 150 when it came to attack.

I love all the extras of the 157's right down to the tarnishing gold hardware, infact when the gold starts rubbing off showing nickel underneath you can find no more cool vintage look than that. There is definetaly more attention givin to the 157's in the build, it's heritages king of solid bodies and most expensive so you know the quality of the build is as good as they can muster ( this is a les paul customs rival where talking about!) so it better be spot on. I can understand the side of something being to blingy but I just dont see how that can apply to a guitar, the more bling the better imo. Look at the martin d-100 for example, it's the be all end all of the acoustic world forever. Just my 2 cents worth, but when im jammin I like the fact that my guitars overdone fancyness is distracting the listner from my mistakes. :icon_compress:

I say bringgggggggggggggg the blinggggggggggggggg!

The Ebony and Gold Hardware is Right up there with VSB and Sunburst as all time Known Colors of true Vintage solid bodies. Oh yea I forgot Blonde Tele's and Korina.

H-157

'T' sn

Chestnut Burst

Choice Woods Upgrade

9 lbs

HRW's (Push/Pull Selector w/custom wiring)

59 neck profile

Gary Brawer frets/plek

GREAT gitfiddle.:icon_thumright:

I personally think this my favorite guitar in the HOC. I have always admired it. Dibs if no one ever called it before. Of course I can't see you selling it anytime soon.

I personally think this my favorite guitar in the HOC. I have always admired it. Dibs if no one ever called it before. Of course I can't see you selling it anytime soon.

Thanks, Squawken. It is also my favorite solid body guitar. The varity of tones is so broad, it knocks the ball out of the park

And sorry, no, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The point of my initial brief photo-reply to the OP thread is to say that with Heritage, you can order anything you want within their basic models.

Some folks like the bling and others just want the headstock bound and pearl inlayed.

That's the beauty of Heritage. You can order EXACTLY the guitar you want.

If I didn't find a 555 with nickel hardware, I probably wouldn't even own one of those today.

Now Patrick, we have something we are singing from the same song sheet about

post-1193-078402100 1290387554_thumb.jpg

I owned one of each at the same time and the 150 is now gone. As far as tone not really a difference maybe a tad warmer on the rosewood of the 150, but could of been pickups as well. My 157 has the shcallers and the 150 had hrw's which are slightly modified shcallers but the tone differences are not enough to make a difference, although the 157 owned the 150 when it came to attack

That's the thing about my 157, the pickups change the equation quite a bit, so I don't know how much that would change the tone.

I just don't care for a muddy sounding guitar. It's hard to equalize that spark back into it.

In any case, it's nice to have some variety in solidbodies.

Let me add my vote to the H157 fans. My first Heritage was a custom ordered 157 in 2003. Almond SB, gold hardware. Mine weighs in around 9.5 lbs. I prefer the ebony fingerboard, but then both my G&Ls have maple necks. I guess I like the brighter attack. But, I can take that out with the tone controls easily enough. The bound headstock just looks RIGHT!

I guess that's why I like the Milli 2000 LE. It's like the 157 with the hollow body.

I've had a few 150s and 157s.

I like the look of the 157s. I can't defend that statement. It's more of a feeling.

I also like the look of the 150s. I'd like them better with a wood PG, but not better enough to pay $150.

If I close my eyes, I really cannot tell the difference. If there is a weight difference it is not consistent. And there are too many confounding variables to comment on tone except that they all sounded good and different from each other.

Archived