Heritage Owners Club

Roland Cube 40XL

Guest HRB853370

Ordered one new on eBay for $185 shipped.

I have a MicroCube and had a Cube 80X. Fine amps for the money.

The 40XL has a lot of features including looping.

I'll post my review.

Isn't that a keyboard amp??

Isn't that a keyboard amp??

Slammer,

I've seen people use them for keyboards, guitars, and vocals. I see them in use a lot with street musicians - likely b/c of their portability, light weight, and pretty good sounds.

Slammer,

I've seen people use them for keyboards, guitars, and vocals. I see them in use a lot with street musicians - likely b/c of their portability, light weight, and pretty good sounds.

And because of their price. My Cube 80XL was only $349 delivered from Sweetwater.

The small ones can be battery driven. It takes too much power to drive larger speakers.

The MicroCube will run for several hours on 6 AA batteries with a 5" speaker. It fits in my carry on bag along with several days worth of clothes.

Any of you folks using them for live venues?

Not yet, I've only had my Cube 80XL for a week. But I'm sure it'll work just fine. It's got plenty of power to keep up even with a loud drummer, and all the on-board controls (efx, looper, channels, etc) are foot-switchable. So a small case for pedals, cables, and such is all you'll need besides the amp and your axe.

I got Marty's old 80x. For cleaner tones, I wouldn't hesitate to use it live without an extension cab. For higher gain, yeah, extension cab.

These amps are pretty much all I need guitar sound wise. This is the first time I have bought an amp and a few months later didn't want another one because there was just something the first one didn't do.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the amp for a couple of weeks. There's nothing to complain about.

The reverb is good. The loop works well. The modeling is okay.

I would call this a "best buy". It weighs about 20 lbs so it's very portable.

I've been using the amp for a couple of weeks. There's nothing to complain about.

The reverb is good. The loop works well. The modeling is okay.

I would call this a "best buy". It weighs about 20 lbs so it's very portable.

Is there an external speaker jack? How about a line out for a board or recording? Any draw backs? Are you using a foot switch with it? Do you know how much the foot switch runs? I am seriously considering buying one.

Is there an external speaker jack? How about a line out for a board or recording? Any draw backs? Are you using a foot switch with it? Do you know how much the foot switch runs? I am seriously considering buying one.

Not sure about the 40 watt version, but on the 80XL there is a speaker jack for 8 ohm or less external speakers, a recording out/headphone jack, a line out jack, an AUX IN jack (for MP3 players etc), and three jacks for foot-switches.

There's an auxilliary input jack 1/8" and a recording output jack 1/4".

There are problems with that recording out/phones jack setup though. First the recording out level is dependent on the volume setting of the amp itself which is far less then ideal, second once you plug into the recording out/phones jack to record it silences the speaker which means you have listen through the tape recorder phone jack or out put jacks to hear what your playing.

With the 80XL these problems are eliminated because the additional line out is a standard fixed line level (which is preferable for recording) and totally independent of the amps volume setting, and you can still use either the amps speaker or the headphone jack without disturbing the recording.

Archived