Heritage Owners Club

NGD! Millie 158 in VSB!

tbonesullivan

Well, the Millie 158 I bought from MartyGrass showed up last week, packed perfectly, and I finally got around to taking some pictures. I put dunlop dual design strap buttons on it, and it came with some locks, so It's all ready to go! It sounds great, nice and airy and warm. The bigsby adds just enough vibrato to add some shimmer to chords and solo stuff. Color is AWESOME. Usually I don't like VSB, but that's mainly on H150s, as I think it looks really kinda dumb with the lemonburst top, and cherry back.

Also I got curious and looked under the "custom made" plate, and there are actual stopped up tailpiece bushing holes! MartyGrass said that this is how Wolfe ordered them, and it's just a great guitar. The back is also dished, not flat, which I don't believe that they do anymore. It is also quite light, which is good.

Front:

h158a.jpg

Back:

h158b.jpg

and with a friend, and a view of "the chaos"

h158c.jpg

Congratulations T Bone, she looks sweet. Could do some rock a billy with that I bet. Nice Hamer as well and P90s to boot. I see an Eminence box , been doing some speaker swaps?

Congratulations T Bone, she looks sweet. Could do some rock a billy with that I bet. Nice Hamer as well and P90s to boot. I see an Eminence box , been doing some speaker swaps?

I got another Black Powder patriot series speaker to put in my Carvin MTS combo. Then I took the Eminence Blue Tick Hound that I had in that and put it into my Carvin Vintage 16 combo. Sounds a lot better now. The stock Celestion vintage 30 is currently sitting in the box.

I agree with your observation on the Bigsby. It works best for more subtle vibrato. My H530 Bigsby works the same.

Oh, and your basement is even messier than mine!

Basement mess just got cleaned up. We're getting drenched over here on the east coast, and that means the basement might get a little wet. All guitars not on my guitar stand rack have been moved upstairs (including the millie), as well as my trombones. Trombones don't care about water, but I don't want to deal with wet cases. all my amps are already off the ground and/or have wheels.

I now have a HUGE collection of old strap buttons from all the ones that I've taken off and replaced with locks. I have to say, out of all the stock buttons, the gibson aluminum ones have to be the tiniest and cheapest looking. I don't see why they can't just put some REAL strap buttons on their guitars. Who cares about what's "vintage correct".

sweet guitar..By the way your basement looks like my front room does most days, But I like it that way.. :icon_thumright:

Well, right now my basement is almost EMPTY. I moved all the amps upstairs due to flooding. We never get "real" floods but like just wetness that seeps on the sides and can cover the floor, which results in wet carpet and therefor wet amp bottoms. I have my digital piano and guitar case rack up on blocks so they are safe. So, currently I've got 7 guitars hiding out upstairs. I almost need to get ANOTHER guitar case rack. Question is where to put the dang thing. They only hold 8 standard guitar cases, so with 13 guitars and 2 basses, I could just about take up 2, and then have an excuse to buy one more guitar or bass. I'm currently thinking of a Geddy Lee signature bass and dropping in an audere preamp.

It's funny how opinions can change, when I first saw the millies I really did not like them, but my opinion has gone 180 degrees and I now love them. The new one you have is beautiful, and I also love the Hamer with P90's. If you ever sell that one let me have first dibbs on it, I am sorely missing a pair of P90's on some nice mahogany.

Archived