Heritage Owners Club

To ReFinish or Not ReFinish

DetroitBlues

Stopped by the shop today. Took a new pic myself, but it really doesn't look to be that different. He's painting two layers at a time, sanding them down a day or two later, and repeating. Going to be well over 20 coats before he is done. John is being very careful because he wants to keep the orange peel effect to a minimum. Might be a month or more before I get it back. Tried to talk me into a Bigsby, but I'm not ready for that...yet...

DBlues - you don't need a tone-sucking, hillbilly crowbar in the Yankee, great, white north! You have chosen well...

No more burst. As far as the bigsby goes, I'll only use it if I have a vibramate. I talked to John about the vibramate not being flush with the guitar and he responded that the tailpiece isn't flush either. As long as the bolts are secure to the plate, its all good. Plus I won't be drilling any holes in my guitar and I can go back and forth without thinking twice about it.

Checked up on the guitar today while dropping off the SD JB I picked up. The more I see that guitar, the more I realized its looking a lot like Slash's Appetite for Destruction guitar.... If the PU's were zebra coils, the guitar would be a spitting image of Slash's latest signature guitar!

Rock on... get what you want. If it were a more expensive guitar, you might consider the value. Its a player, like a daily driver car. Fix it up the way you want to play it.

Can't complain about the look of Slash's LP. That's the Hunterburst, isn't it?

It looks good at a distance (and in advertisements) - but in person it looked like an unfinished top, dull faded style look. Like a cross between one of those BFG's or a studio worn/faded style finish.

It looks good at a distance (and in advertisements) - but in person it looked like an unfinished top, dull faded style look. Like a cross between one of those BFG's or a studio worn/faded style finish.

When I saw the AFD Slash guitar, I was really disappointed because it had a dull finish. My guitar looks like that now because it only has one clear coat. Once several clear coats are on it, it will be a whole new guitar!

Here's the guitar in question:

DSC04950.jpg

Its a great guitar, but since it had a headstock break

DSC04953.jpg

Even being original, its not worth as most as any Heritage on the market today.

So given that I couldn't pass up on the guitar, but not a Cherry Burst fan, would you refinish the top and make it the guitar you've always wanted?

I put in a similar post a few months ago. I have an Antique Cherryburst H-550 that I ordered that way, but am now a little tired of the color. Jim French gave me a phone quote of around $500, $100 more if I want a curly maple headstock. Am close to having the money, but they said that they'd need two months, maybe less. Am playing out more nowadays, so I'll have to choose a good time. Am leaning toward an Antique Sunburst, but with no separation between the burst and the brown. Taylor makes a T5 that kind of looks like a lamp is shining through a lampshade throughout the top. Allows the burst to have almost a tiger stripe effect. Am hoping that they can do that for the sides and back, as well. However, most importantly, they are concerned with not having any of the cherry show through the refinish. Was disappointed that the cherry stayed so stop sign red after 13 years instead of fading a little.Maybe the same guy will refinish both of ours at the same time! Good luck!- Charles Bevell

I put in a similar post a few months ago. I have an Antique Cherryburst H-550 that I ordered that way, but am now a little tired of the color. Jim French gave me a phone quote of around $500, $100 more if I want a curly maple headstock. Am close to having the money, but they said that they'd need two months, maybe less. Am playing out more nowadays, so I'll have to choose a good time. Am leaning toward an Antique Sunburst, but with no separation between the burst and the brown. Taylor makes a T5 that kind of looks like a lamp is shining through a lampshade throughout the top. Allows the burst to have almost a tiger stripe effect. Am hoping that they can do that for the sides and back, as well. However, most importantly, they are concerned with not having any of the cherry show through the refinish. Was disappointed that the cherry stayed so stop sign red after 13 years instead of fading a little.Maybe the same guy will refinish both of ours at the same time! Good luck!- Charles Bevell

I'm only have the top redone and its not costing me anywhere near that much... Now have the headstock cleaned up would be nice... Even with polish, it has this hazy look to it...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HRB853370

Here's the guitar in question:

DSC04950.jpg

Its a great guitar, but since it had a headstock break

DSC04953.jpg

Even being original, its not worth as most as any Heritage on the market today.

So given that I couldn't pass up on the guitar, but not a Cherry Burst fan, would you refinish the top and make it the guitar you've always wanted?

Nope. Being a drumset collector, I always cringed when somebody would refinish something vintage, and lose the originality of it. That guitar has character, leave it alone! Who cares what its worth, its yours!!

• 1 month later...

In a way, I wish I would of listened. At the time I sent this guitar off for a simple refinish, KBP810 sent off an order for his H-157 custom. I believe it will be finished before mine. A six week turn around has turned into more than 12! Is there a point I should start asking for a refund or some other kind of discount????

Did he give you an estimate as to the time? Unfortunately sometimes "mission critical" problems come in which end up delaying a lot of guys. Like, a guy comes in with a broken headstock, or something worse, and is a gigging musician and needs it ASAP.

Either way, I'd call up or show up to see how it's going.

Also remember that nitro takes a while to dry. Then it gets buffed, and then and only then can it be reassembled.

Did he give you an estimate as to the time? Unfortunately sometimes "mission critical" problems come in which end up delaying a lot of guys. Like, a guy comes in with a broken headstock, or something worse, and is a gigging musician and needs it ASAP.

Either way, I'd call up or show up to see how it's going.

Also remember that nitro takes a while to dry. Then it gets buffed, and then and only then can it be reassembled.

I know, but he had a problem with his work and had to start over. With new electronics, new nut, and the refinish, $325 out the door is what I'm supposed to pay...

Archived