Heritage Owners Club

To ReFinish or Not ReFinish

DetroitBlues

Here's the guitar in question:

DSC04950.jpg

Its a great guitar, but since it had a headstock break

DSC04953.jpg

Even being original, its not worth as most as any Heritage on the market today.

So given that I couldn't pass up on the guitar, but not a Cherry Burst fan, would you refinish the top and make it the guitar you've always wanted?

I wouldn't. But then I kinda like cherry burst. But even on my least favorite finish I would still leave as is. It's expensive, takes a long time, and I think it would be hard to get a perfect look out of a refin.

I hate clowns, by the way. Clownbursts don't bother me in the least.

dan

I must be on an island of one with this choice. I decided to refinish it after all. I love how the guitar feels and plays, but I'd always be looking for one that's a different finish. Since I plan on keeping the guitar, I'm making in my own. So for the faint of heart, do not read on...

Original Pic:

DSC04950.jpg

First pass at sanding in hopes the amber in the beneath a couple clear coats before the red was applied:

StrippingDown.jpg

Unfortuntely the paint did not have nitro coats in between the colors. So now its's naked:

NakedGuitar.jpg

Wow .. you were ready for this project ! Dive right in.

That's some cool looking wood underneath, so it should make for a great look when you are done.

You must be one of those that really likes doing this kind of project.

Keep the pics coming... it will be enjoyable to watch.

You've got bigger stones than me, DetroitBlues! I'm normally not a cherryburst guy, but I always thought that guitar looked great! But now what are you going to play until your Heritage is done?! Good luck with the project, no pressure now, right?! haha.

Two coats of Amber Nitro Lacquer later...

2ndCoat.jpg

Looks a little bit yellow, but that's because of the lighting. Its much more amber like the original finish was between the pickups.

Let it dry and in a couple days add some more.

Wow... DB is certainly motivated for change.

You're making this look too easy.

You must have done this before.....

I need to clarify, that I don't have the stones nor the skill to do this. This is being done by John Dajos in Livonia, Michigan. He's a certified luthier I've used for a few years now. In addition, he's putting a vintage bone nut and replacing the pups for me as well as addressing the toggle switch problem. When it's completed, we'll see the whole project on his website.

You've got bigger stones than me, DetroitBlues! I'm normally not a cherryburst guy, but I always thought that guitar looked great! But now what are you going to play until your Heritage is done?! Good luck with the project, no pressure now, right?! haha.

I have my Fender Strat to keep me company...

Archived