Heritage Owners Club

Worst Amp You've Ever Owned

Guest HRB853370

So what's the absolute worst amp you've ever owned or demo'd and why was it a dude?

Are you trying to start controversy Detroit, or are you just bored!!!

:)

Vox AD50VT... I mean, I could get a decent sound out of it (after about a good hour of trying to dial it in that is), but then you would hit one button or knob and everything would completely reset itself to something random and different...

Not to mention sometimes I would turn it on, and though the volume was turned down, it would come on at full blast - and always something completely different then what it was set on when it had been turned off.

I understand now that I most likely just had a bad one, but I still have nightmares about that stupid amp!

I had a SS practice amp in the 70's but that is understandable.

Worst tube amp, Crate 65w 2x12. I sold it before the warranty ran out and was happy to do so.

A Peavey Transtube 2X12..It was a very early model..I don't think they had all the bugs worked out of em yet..Kept changing sounds all by itself..I returned it and got a Classic 50 which I loved and played for years..Before I bought a Line 6 Flextone which was also a great amp in its own right..But I Digress.. :icon_thumright:

Vox AD50VT... I mean, I could get a decent sound out of it (after about a good hour of trying to dial it in that is), but then you would hit one button or knob and everything would completely reset itself to something random and different...

Not to mention sometimes I would turn it on, and though the volume was turned down, it would come on at full blast - and always something completely different then what it was set on when it had been turned off.

I understand now that I most likely just had a bad one, but I still have nightmares about that stupid amp!

Wow, I had pretty good luck with that model; had you turned it to manual instead of the presets? I don't think the quality was much to write home about, but I got good modeled tones from it, and resold it to the pawn shop I got it at for what I paid, so no harm done.

MY worst amp? Probably the Crate GT212 solid state thing I had. Volume does not equal tone, I discovered. Live and learn. I also bought and sold 2 Fender Hot Rod Devilles from Pawn Shops. Heavy as hell, BEAUTIFUL cleans, but went from 0 to 747 on take-off volume with 1/16 turn of the volume knob. I'm sure it could have been remedied with a tapered pot, but I just moved them along. Lousy gain and "more gain" channels. Took pedals well.

Fender Pro Junior! Boxy,horrible little thing!

This surprises me. I've heard wonderful tones from these....live. Never used one myself though

Some small Behringer POC. Don't remember the model. SS, 60w, modeling. Absolute junk!

Really? Say it aint so.......

this, on the other hand, does not surprise me at all.

Peavey Classic 50

Decent cleans, but the dirty over-driven tones sounded like broil a$$!!!!!!

Guest HRB853370

Peavey Classic 50

Decent cleans, but the dirty over-driven tones sounded like broil a$$!!!!!!

Hmmm, not sure what broiled a$$ sounds like, but I like my PV C50, better than my C30!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember the make, but my first amp was some sort of really old solid state job with a 6 inch speaker and a horn, all housed in a plastic case. Yep, plastic . It was just loud enough to make the plastic " cabinet" buzz. Anybody ever seen something like that?

• 3 weeks later...

I still chuckle about how silly I was trading in a Crate 125D acoustic amp which I liked a lot for a Roland AC60. Momma always told me to try on clothes before I bought them. I should have carried that notion on to auditioning an amp before buying it. But, I didn't. Portability was my motivation for the trade which the Roland had - and I thought with the 'famous' Roland chorus and reverb/delay settings I'd be able to dial in whatever I wanted. The first gig was a disaster. I had the desired portability, alright. But no tone to speak of. There was so much mid-range that I ended up dialing to zero the mid-freq and treble knobs. The amp sounded so harsh to me with my nylon string guitar. Yuck. I sold the Roland shortly there after and bought an Ultrasound and have never looked back. My ears still miss the Crate but my back appreciates the Ultrasound.

The worst sounding amp I have ever had was a Mesa Boogie Mark II C. It did not matter what I tried, I could not get it to sound full and rich. It always sounded thin and tinny. I tried changing speakers, tubes, biasing etc...It had to go

Archived