Heritage Owners Club

Deluxe Reverb Speaker Recommendations

Last night I picked up my Silverface Deluxe Reverb (with blackfaced internal upgrades) after having the reverb repaired. Turns out that there was a hard to find broken wire in one of the connections that caused intermittant reverb function. Now it sounds great once again, with lush Fender 'verb! GREAT!

But now I'm ready for a speaker upgrade. The original Utah sounded flabby, has a tiny, 1/4" hole in it, so I swapped in a Fender Design (Eminence) from a HR Deluxe. It sounds...OK...but flabby at about a 3 volume level. This amp deserves a better speaker. I

'm looking for something with more headroom. I play mostly clean RnB, Jazzy, Bluesy stuff through it and get overdrive from an Ibanez TS. This 22 watt amp sounds much louder than others I've played through, especially after its blackface customizing and JJ tubes. The breakup is just too soon for my stlye of playing.

What do you guys recommend for this sweet old amp? Alnico or Ceramic? Weber or Eminence? Celestion or Tone Tubby? So many choices!! :icon_scratch:

fendersilverfacedeluxeum1.jpg

What is your price range? I went with Eminence Red White Blues (like them) for my old SF Twin reasonable prices and a good site to listen to comparisons.

For your wattage area, Bill M audio http://billmaudio.com/wp/ has good comparisons of several of the Eminence speakers on a Blues jr. Eminence is cheap enough not to inflict pain and made I believe in Kentucky. Nice guys there who will recommend as well.

They have one that approximates your original speaker.

Actually I have two original 12" orange cone JBL 120s sitting around..would one fit? if you want to go vintage.

Last night I picked up my Silverface Deluxe Reverb (with blackfaced internal upgrades) after having the reverb repaired. Turns out that there was a hard to find broken wire in one of the connections that caused intermittant reverb function. Now it sounds great once again, with lush Fender 'verb! GREAT!

But now I'm ready for a speaker upgrade. The original Utah sounded flabby, has a tiny, 1/4" hole in it, so I swapped in a Fender Design (Eminence) from a HR Deluxe. It sounds...OK...but flabby at about a 3 volume level. This amp deserves a better speaker. I

'm looking for something with more headroom. I play mostly clean RnB, Jazzy, Bluesy stuff through it and get overdrive from an Ibanez TS. This 22 watt amp sounds much louder than others I've played through, especially after its blackface customizing and JJ tubes. The breakup is just too soon for my stlye of playing.

What do you guys recommend for this sweet old amp? Alnico or Ceramic? Weber or Eminence? Celestion or Tone Tubby? So many choices!! :icon_scratch:

Sweet looking, clean. Mine aint so pretty.

What is your price range? I went with Eminence Red White Blues (like them) for my old SF Twin reasonable prices and a good site to listen to comparisons.

For your wattage area, Bill M audio http://billmaudio.com/wp/ has good comparisons of several of the Eminence speakers on a Blues jr. Eminence is cheap enough not to inflict pain and made I believe in Kentucky. Nice guys there who will recommend as well.

They have one that approximates your original speaker.

Actually I have two original 12" orange cone JBL 120s sitting around..would one fit? if you want to go vintage.

Hfan~I would be interested in your JBL 12"er. Vintage cone for vintage tone. Plus, I'd rather buy from a fellow HOC'er than a total unknown on Ebay. I'll shoot you a PM.

Tim

Hfan~I would be interested in your JBL 12"er. Vintage cone for vintage tone. Plus, I'd rather buy from a fellow HOC'er than a total unknown on Ebay. I'll shoot you a PM.

Tim

Ahh yes, a JBL 120 shall serve you quite nicely as well

A vintage JBL 120 sounds like a great choice.

I recently did some digging on this topic, cause I decided to have a DDRI I found a few years ago modded by Ben Fargen. I had a chance to play a DRRI that had one of his mods and was very impressed, and, I wasn't thrilled at all with the way my Deluxe was sounding, so, I thought I'd either sell it or have it modded. Figured while I was at it, I'd upgrade the speaker, which was one of the "Fender design," Eminence models that came in the amps before the shift to Jensen. I found a lot of opinions about speakers for DR while searching around on the web --some advocates of Celestion v30s, or the G12H30, but I ended up ordering a Weber 12F150-50w; it's what Fargen (and Weber) recommend for the classic clean "Deluxe" sound, most who commented on the speaker were positive, so, thought I give it a shot, especially since I've never owned a Weber speaker and wanted to check one out. Have the speaker, and expecting the amp any day, so I'll give a report when I get things back together.

I recently sold a barely broken in Celestion V30 to KBP for one of his monster amp projects. I've read that the DR's baffle needs to be modified to accept one of those. I also dropped a new Jensen into my Concert amp and whoa baby, does it sound sweet. The amp tech who worked on my DR said to try the Jensen to see if I like it in the silverface.

Webers and EV's sound like good possibilities...............unless I can wrestle one of those JBL's from Hfan. :icon_profileleft:

An old JBL 120 sounds like a great choice.

I recently did some digging on this topic, cause I decided to have a DDRI I found a few years ago modded by Ben Fargen. I had a chance to play a DRRI that had one of his mods and was very impressed, and, I wasn't thrilled at all with the way my Deluxe was sounding, so, I thought I'd either sell it or have it modded. Figured while I was at it, I'd upgrade the speaker, which was one of the "Fender design," Eminence models that came in the amps before the shift to Jensen. I found a lot of opinions about speakers for DR while searching around on the web --some advocates of Celestion v30s, or the G12H30, but I ended up ordering a Weber 12F150-50w; it's what Fargen (and Weber) recommend for the classic clean "Deluxe" sound, most who commented on the speaker were positive, so, thought I give it a shot, especially since I've never owned a Weber speaker and wanted to check one out. Have the speaker, and expecting the amp any day, so I'll give a report when I get things back together.

I have taken lessons with a working session guy here in Chicago, known nationally as a slide guitar guru, a la Lowell George, was an invited featured guitarist at Levon Helms annual Big Pink event this year, point being, he makes his living with his guitar and amp, and doesn't mess around.

His one an only amp, that he lugs everywhere, whether its to a classroom for a lesson or a large hall for a gig, is an original 63 DR with the Weber 12F150, and it sounds absolutely transcendent. As a slide guy, of course, you don't hear that chordal breakup, and he uses only a compressor and some reverb. But damn, the sound out of that thing is amazing.

And that's all I know on the subject. Good luck!

My new KBP810 RD amp (same design as your fender) is loaded with a Celestion V30 in it. Breaks up a little early, but that exactly what I want it to do. I rather have a little grit when playing clean... I'm a blues and rock player. No shredding metal stuff....

I recently sold a barely broken in Celestion V30 to KBP for one of his monster amp projects. I've read that the DR's baffle needs to be modified to accept one of those. I also dropped a new Jensen into my Concert amp and whoa baby, does it sound sweet. The amp tech who worked on my DR said to try the Jensen to see if I like it in the silverface.

Webers and EV's sound like good possibilities...............unless I can wrestle one of those JBL's from Hfan. :icon_profileleft:

Weber California... They are the best speakers I've ever used. I lent one to a friend to try in his DRRI. He loved it and bought it from me. The Alnicos cost more that the Ceramics. I have Ceramics in several amps. I love em. They have the clarity of the JBL, but seem to be warmer, more supple. The "H" style dome is supposed to be the warmest. I use one "12" with a 100 watt head in an open back cabinet and have no problems with headroom.

Archived