Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Delta Blues or Fender Blues Deluxe

I am getting ready to buy a new amp for my H575 and have narrowed it down to either a Peavey Delta Blues or a Fender Blues Deluxe. Unfortunately, I'm in an area where I can't try them out prior to buying. Any opinions, advice, experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

I own a Peavey Delta Blues. I bought it mainly for the tubes and the 15-inch speaker (they also come with 2x10s), as it is one of the few amps with a 15, and I have other amps with single 12s and a 2x12. Reverb and tremolo are provided, and there are two settings selected by a push button, as I did not buy the footswitch. The clean setting is very nice, and otherwise one can adjust as much distortion as needed after pushing the button. A second push button provides even more boost, providing an additional 25dB of gain with plenty of crunch. But with your H-175, you may be looking for the clean tones, and the 15-inch speaker should work well with that. You've researched the features no doubt, but my only caution from owning this amp is that its 30 watts are very loud. At least in my situation, this amp is on the verge of being too loud. I can throttle it down and get some good tones with the volume knob in the 2 to 3 range, but it might sound even better if it could be let loose a little more in the right setting.

Let me be the dissenting voice here ... so far. I've owned a PV Delta Blues 15", and used a Fender Blues Deluxe RI for several gigs. I could never get my head around the BD RI. I felt the response was flat, lifeless. I could not coax the tones I wanted out of that amp. The Delta Blues I gigged for over a year as my main amp. It eventually rotated out of use, mostly because I was still experimenting with what I was looking for. But it was a friggin' work horse. Never failed me. Plus, you can find them for a very decent price, especially considering the older ones (maybe the newer ones, too) are MIA.

Guest HRB853370

Does anybody know the difference in the amplifier section between the Delta Blues and the Classic 30? Both are 30 watters.

Does anybody know the difference in the amplifier section between the Delta Blues and the Classic 30? Both are 30 watters.

I own a Classic 30 and have played through a Delta Blues, and to my ears the main difference is, the Classic 30 can really give you a super saturated, screamin yet smooth overdrive with the pre-amp dimed, and still give you some nice usable clean tones with a nice spring reverb..the Delta Blues, at least the one I used was basically a really loud clean amp..Nice sounding but didn't really have the overdrive capability..

Pretty certain its the same amp with the inclusion of tremolo on the Delta and a 115 or 210 speaker option instead of a 112 like the Classic.

I've owned and gigged both amps and praised them here on the HOC.

Interestingly enough, I sold my Peavey Delta Blues 115 to buy a Fender Blues Deluxe. I wanted the 6L6 and Fender cleans vs. the EL84's in the Peavey. That is purely a personal taste deal. There ain't nothing wrong with the Peavey. I like the tones from my Blues Deluxe WITH the addition of a matching Eminence loaded extension speaker. That pushes air in 2-12" speakers for a tastier tone in my view. I get the 6L6 cleans plus the fat-back bottom that only an extension speaker can deliver. I missed the fatness of the Peavey's 15 incher at gigs.

That said, with a 575, the 15" speaker pushed by 30 loud watts in the Peavey will be a bit boomy if not EQ'd properly. That could equate to more feedback. Also, I swapped out the original tubes for a set of JJ's and MAN, that thing came alive! Others have dropped in another speaker to get the tone they were after, but I saw no reason to dump the speaker. The Peavey wins the 'best bang for buck' of the two amps you inquired about, but I chose to go for Fender cleans and an extra cost extension speaker to get what I was after. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

That's funny. I just AB'd both. I owned a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 years ago that was so bassy that I bought an EQ pedal to brighten it up. When I was having the "bright" issues with my 150 I bought another Delta Blues thinking it would be bassy especially since this one had the 15" speaker. It wasn't. It was nice though. Good tone. Didn't care for the OD much, but it took my only OD pedal really well. Sounded great together.

I've never liked Fender amps. I've always loved the clean tones (unbeatable in my opinion), but hate the OD and they don't take pedals well. So, when someone recently offered a Hot Rod Deluxe in a trade I was less than enthused. I took it anyway to sell right away, but had to try it first. Long story short, I sold the Peavey just today. I may still sell the Fender (these were back up to my Egnater), but it's clean is classic and this particular one takes OD pedal perfectly.

If you can't try them out first, I'd go with the Fender if your going to be playing clean mostly and vice versa if you'll be playing OD mostly or even half and half. The Peavey's are so different from one to the other though. I've owned 2 Classic 50's, 2 Classic 30's and 2 Delta Blues. Peavey's clean tones are "cold" I think, but good. Their OD channel's are sometimes great and sometimes not so great. I've not had two that had similar OD channels.

Again, I don't you can beat a Fender's clean tone.

That's intersting that you thought the Peavey's clean tones are "cold" because what I'm looking for is a "warm" clean tone.

That's funny. I just AB'd both. I owned a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 years ago that was so bassy that I bought an EQ pedal to brighten it up. When I was having the "bright" issues with my 150 I bought another Delta Blues thinking it would be bassy especially since this one had the 15" speaker. It wasn't. It was nice though. Good tone. Didn't care for the OD much, but it took my only OD pedal really well. Sounded great together.

I've never liked Fender amps. I've always loved the clean tones (unbeatable in my opinion), but hate the OD and they don't take pedals well. So, when someone recently offered a Hot Rod Deluxe in a trade I was less than enthused. I took it anyway to sell right away, but had to try it first. Long story short, I sold the Peavey just today. I may still sell the Fender (these were back up to my Egnater), but it's clean is classic and this particular one takes OD pedal perfectly.

If you can't try them out first, I'd go with the Fender if your going to be playing clean mostly and vice versa if you'll be playing OD mostly or even half and half. The Peavey's are so different from one to the other though. I've owned 2 Classic 50's, 2 Classic 30's and 2 Delta Blues. Peavey's clean tones are "cold" I think, but good. Their OD channel's are sometimes great and sometimes not so great. I've not had two that had similar OD channels.

Again, I don't you can beat a Fender's clean tone.

Archived