Heritage Owners Club

A question for you P-90 players

donnie

Are the Lollar P-90's that are shipping on new Heritage guitars now any noisier than say the Fender single coils on a standard Tele?

And are the soapbar P-90's on the 150's the same as the dogear ones on the semi-hollows and hollows except for cosmetics?

I'd love to hear how you like the tone also.

Thanks!

in my experience, the Lollars are less noisy than a stock Fender single coil..As always, YMMV..

in my experience, the Lollars are less noisy than a stock Fender single coil..As always, YMMV..

+1

Jason winds them to cancel noise when used together.

I know about the reverse wrap but wondered why there is a threshold with just a little volume rolloff to get rid of the hum.

What I'm thinking is that the treble is cut with the volume rolloff.

I've had the same experience. I can't explain why. Does anyone know?

Wired out of phase, just like the 2nd & 4th position on a Strat. Hum canceling at it's best. 2 Single coils out of phase, hey, thats what a Humbucking pickup is.

Hey folks, ya'll had mentioned earlier in this thread that Jason winds the P90's to be hum canceling in the middle position.

Interestingly, I was talking to Ren today and happened to ask him about this and he was completely puzzled. Said he knew nothing about it, but if I wanted one wired that way he was sure Jason could do it and they could wire it up.

Wonder if this is just how they are wired and Heritage is unaware of it? You gotta figure Ren knows his pickups!

I know that Lollars in a set are reverse wound. I don't doubt that this may reduce some hum. But the pickups are pretty far apart in many guitars, including mine. This distance has to diminish the "humbucking" effect.

Nonetheless, with a mild reduction in volume, going from 10 to 7, the hum really drops. So don't you think this is primarily the treble cut disproportionate to the volume cut (a treble roll off)?

Very mild hum and wouldn't say they are as noticeable as a strat or tele, but dependent on your playing style and rig.

For my ears (very unscientific with neck only) my order would go STRAT > TELE > Lollar p90's > humbuckers

Well, this kinda clears it up a little. Here's an email I got back from Matthew Timmons at Lollar pickups:

Thanks for your interest! Our P90 are awesome and I know if you love that old P90 sound you’ll dig our pickups.

1.) Heritage uses stock P90’s.

2.) Same noise while running the bridge or neck by itself. Always hum-canceling in the middle position.

3.) All our sets are hum-canceling in the middle position. Every single one we ship. Heritage included.

Thanks,

Matthew Timmons

Lollar Pickups

206-463-9838

www.lollarguitars.com

So it sounds like that's how they build them all.

So no one is going to bite on the "treble roll off hypothesis"?

I think when you turn down the volume, you put more load on the pickups and pickup less noise .. or something like that.

I still don't fully understand how the tone/volume control interacts with the bobbin, but they told me "nothing leaks away to ground" like most resources make you think. IIRC tone controls work by canceling stuff out, not leaking it to ground or whatever.

Well, this kinda clears it up a little. Here's an email I got back from Matthew Timmons at Lollar pickups:

Thanks for your interest! Our P90 are awesome and I know if you love that old P90 sound you’ll dig our pickups.

1.) Heritage uses stock P90’s.

2.) Same noise while running the bridge or neck by itself. Always hum-canceling in the middle position.

3.) All our sets are hum-canceling in the middle position. Every single one we ship. Heritage included.

Thanks,

Matthew Timmons

Lollar Pickups

206-463-9838

www.lollarguitars.com

So it sounds like that's how they build them all.

I think all do that now.

I think all do that now.

Mark,

If you get the pups as a set, there should be reverse wrapping.

I believe there is more to it. I believe that volume reduction causes treble roll off and thereby reduces hum on P-90s.

Now I'm off to start my own church based on these self-evident truths.

Mark,

If you get the pups as a set, there should be reverse wrapping.

I believe there is more to it. I believe that volume reduction causes treble roll off and thereby reduces hum on P-90s.

Now I'm off to start my own church based on these self-evident truths.

Amen!

I have Lollar p-90 on my 150 from 2010. They are noisy when I have large amounts of gain or very high volume but that is only between songs and a little volume roll back cures it. When I am playing I can only hear the music not the buzz. I love the tone. I have a strat with S Duncan 5/2 pickups that sound great but they cannot not compare to the p-90 tone imo. The strat is shielded very well so there is less noise than the p-90's but they have no shielding. I love the p-90's so much I am saving up for a set for my ES 347, they will have to be the type that fit into a double coil hole though.

Until I can afford to get some Fralins for my LP w P-90s, I use my 535 for most High Gain situations, and just stay back from my amp a bit.. I use the P-90s primarily for clean tones now, so I don't get scowled at by my band mates..The lead singer was brought up in choral/religious music, and really can't handle the whole noisy distortion thing..(I Love it, but oh well..) I just crank em up when I'm at home..

Until I can afford to get some Fralins for my LP w P-90s, I use my 535 for most High Gain situations, and just stay back from my amp a bit.. I use the P-90s primarily for clean tones now, so I don't get scowled at by my band mates..The lead singer was brought up in choral/religious music, and really can't handle the whole noisy distortion thing..(I Love it, but oh well..) I just crank em up when I'm at home..

P90's can be managed with a little volume reduction but man, I've got to find a local church of high gain in my neighborhood! :icon_thumright:

Archived