Heritage Owners Club

Pedals: Delay, Reverb

koula901

Folks,

I've got a Boss DD7 Delay, and a Boss RV5 Reverb. Lately, I'm not entirely happy with their tone. It seems to me that they make one's guitar sound cold and brittle. What Delay and Reverb (for those of you who have to use a reverb pedal) do you use, how do you like it, and can anyone make recommendations for delays/reverbs that don't suck tone or make one's guitar sound cold.

Guest HRB853370

Folks,

I've got a Boss DD7 Delay, and a Boss RV5 Reverb. Lately, I'm not entirely happy with their tone. It seems to me that they make one's guitar sound cold and brittle. What Delay and Reverb (for those of you who have to use a reverb pedal) do you use, how do you like it, and can anyone make recommendations for delays/reverbs that don't suck tone or make one's guitar sound cold.

I am not interested in delay, but I have a Boss/Fender 63 Reverb effects footswitch and it is lovely. I am putting together a board now with a BCB60, I have a compression sustainer, an acoustic simulator, the 63 reverb, a blues driver and a distortion. I need a Boss tuner to fill the vacant spot.

Addicted to delay, I can live with or without Reverb. If you are using both together, really turn down the reverb or your tone will get muddy.

I have a Boss/Fender 63 Reverb effects footswitch and it is lovely.

+1

also, i have a digitech delay that seems fine but i rarely use it.

I have a sizeable pedalboard that I also run into a series of racks (then to my amp). No, I do not use all the effects together at the same time, but for my "rock" stuff, I'll usually run through the pedalboard. "Jazzy" stuff is through the rack. I use an EH deluxe stereo memory man pedal for my delay (very cool), and through a Lexicon MPX 100 for the verb. For jazz, I simply run my guitar into a 70's Delta Lab effectron II for the dely, and then into the MPX 100 for the verb/chorus/etc.

I don't have reverb on my amp or the pedal board. But, I did have an EH (argh!!) Holy Grail that I really liked. Except that it's EH, and wants it's own power supply. But what a great 'verb unit. That one is still here in the house, actually. Sitting right under the keyboard bench - I can see it from here. :drunken_smilie:

For delay I use a Danelectro D-8 Delay. Totally transparent, great control, very rich delays. I bought it because my EH (friggin'!!) Memory Boy went wanky, and EH couldn't fix it, nor would they replace it. So, in a moment of screwitall I opted for a cheap pedal. What a total surprise. There are better delay pedals, but it's hard to knock this one, especially for the price.

1097357179_4240200951_full.jpg

Tulk

does your delay need it's own power supply?

Sometimes Dano mks good pedals - I have a dano chorus which is very rich/lush sounding, the only minor problem is that it uses it's own power supply.

Addicted to delay, I can live with or without Reverb. If you are using both together, really turn down the reverb or your tone will get muddy.

@Kuz,

I find that since I've been using the delay, I no longer want to use the reverb, or, very rarely.

I used to use a "Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb Effects Pedal", until Kbp810 made a vintage (Fender) style tube reverb for me to use with my old Fender Deluxe amp. I have used this pedal for just about everything from guitar, vocals and drums in small venues. Great clean pedal.

I used to use a "Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb Effects Pedal", until Kbp810 made a vintage (Fender) style tube reverb for me to use with my old Fender Deluxe amp. I have used this pedal for just about everything from guitar, vocals and drums in small venues. Great clean pedal.

Actually, mine is a "Boss RV-2 Digital Reverb/Delay Effects Pedal". After looking, I realized the 5 doesn't have Delay, the 2 has the same reverb as the 5 with the addition of Delay.

Check out the Wampler Faux Spring Reverb. All analog. Very natural, very expensive at $190. I have a Boss delay/reverb, and just played a Dr. Scientist. The latter is a great improvement, but both have the challenge of being digital. The sterility comes from the fact that the sound is sampled and reconstructed.

Generally speaking, analog for warmer tones and digital for versatility (longer delays, etc.). Personally, although I have a couple of delay pedals and a reverb pedal, I prefer those effects in my amp's effects loop rather than before the preamp. If you can live without the drive section, a TC Nova System in the loop is excellent and gives a great range of effects.

tce flashback for delay, dr. scientist radical red reverberator for 'verb

Ive been using a H&K Replex but its so big and its gone. The Flash back seems like it will replace it. Awesome little delay pedal.

Check out the Wampler Faux Spring Reverb. All analog. Very natural, very expensive at $190. I have a Boss delay/reverb, and just played a Dr. Scientist. The latter is a great improvement, but both have the challenge of being digital. The sterility comes from the fact that the sound is sampled and reconstructed.

I like this pedal.

Folks,

Boss DD3 Delay and a Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail. But at the moment, just using the built in reverb on my KBP810 Reverb Deluxe.

I'm using a TC Nova Delay and an MXR Carbon Copy. The TC is a good pedal and has the ability to store several user presets and has lots of options. Lately I'm using the Carbon Copy more though, it has a very nice warm tone.

Paul, was researching the Nova Delay when I saw they have a Nova Repeater. :dontknow: Maybe like a Delay-light? Ever seen one?

Paul, was researching the Nova Delay when I saw they have a Nova Repeater. :dontknow: Maybe like a Delay-light? Ever seen one?

Hi Kenny,

Had a quick look at the TC site, it looks like an updated version of the Nova Delay with a couple more features but a shorter max delay time, the ND-1 was 2290ms max, the Repeater looks to be 1200ms max. One disadvantage of these pedals is the size, they are easily larger than a couple of Boss sized pedals, the repeater looks to be the same size as the ND-1. The Nova also uses a 12v psu, it's rated for a fairly high consumption if I remember correctly, so I have a dedicated psu for that pedal alone. Hence the Carbon Copy, which is Boss sized and uses a standard 9v pedal psu.

Archived