Heritage Owners Club

574 update or 525?

heritagefan7

The bug is still with me on this 574 thing. You guys are contagious & it's not good for my wallet or my marraige. The 525 sounds right up my alley b/c of the p90s and 1/2 inch thinner body than the 574. The youtube video w/ the OKKO DIABLO on the 525 sounds great. Anyone think it's possible to update the 574 (it has a partial wood block) w/ p90s and get a 525 sound OR is trading/selling the 574 for the 525 just easier/more practical? (trading/selling seem kind of like losing a limb) Never played a 525 so I'm kind of handcuffed here.

Come up to Kzoo this summer and play them all. I'll have a H-357/Firebird for you to try out.

If you really want p-90s try out the SD Phat Kats. That's what I have in the bird. I like them.

Do NOT get rid of your 574 until you are sure of what you are doing. You might end up regretting it.

Exactly my feeling...w/o being able to play the 525 I don't know. 574 is a good friend and friends matter. Thanks Bird for the invite--I've been thinking abt being able to figure that trip out somehow. Love the pics of the last 4 PSPs. Don't know if I'd be able to hang w/ you guys though! I'm a reformed drummer just trying to play well enough to own a Heratige or 2..or 3..or..4 or....

HFan~ Another voice in the wilderness to encourage you to hold onto your H-574. It is much too rare a bird to let fly away from your nest.

As suggested, you can always drop a set of SD Phat Cats in it to get close to the tone of a 525. Or keep your eye out for one down the road. There are also a few H-530's floating around the marketplace. Both the 525 and 530 are full hollow, just different body depths. The tone of the deeper bodied 525 is a bit more full, but both are fantastic examples of modern day P90 gits.

While I wouldn't necessarily allow Bird to recommend a pizza place for me, I do think his idea of trying Seymore Duncan Phat Cat pickups in your 574 makes sense. They'll fit right into your 574 without any mods, just a straight swap. So relatively inexpensive mod overall and if you don't like it easy to swap back. Being single coil, PC's will give that 'snappy/brightness' of P90s and the general character of the voicing will be in the neighborhood. Yoslate has a 576 (think that's it) with PhatCats in it and it's a GREAT sounding guitar. I've a Phat Cat in a 555 and I like that pickup a lot.

While I wouldn't necessarily allow Bird to recommend a pizza place for me, I do think his idea of trying Seymore Duncan Phat Cat pickups in your 574 makes sense. They'll fit right into your 574 without any mods, just a straight swap. So relatively inexpensive mod overall and if you don't like it easy to swap back. Being single coil, PC's will give that 'snappy/brightness' of P90s and the general character of the voicing will be in the neighborhood. Yoslate has a 576 (think that's it) with PhatCats in it and it's a GREAT sounding guitar. I've a Phat Cat in a 555 and I like that pickup a lot.

Sage wisdom abt the Phat Cats and abt the Pizza recommendation. I can't get that story or that clip art pic out of my head and don't really feel like pizza anymore these days. I'll investigate the Phat Cats. again, I am in you guys debt.

The youtube video w/ the OKKO DIABLO on the 525 sounds great.

I agree with the advice that you should hang on to your 574 but if you dig the tone in those videos, you will dig owning a 525 as well. Very sweet guitars!

Archived