Heritage Owners Club

Marshall TSL122 - Thoughts? Experience?

So, for a while now I've had a Marshall TSL122 combo that I have in my "amp rotation". It's nice, but I'm seriously considering moving it along its way to a new owner. Maybe I'm not bonding with it, or maybe I'm just impatient, but I thought it would be BETTER. It is VERY loud, almost un-tameable, and also weighs quite a bit. It does the marshall sound great on The Crunch and Lead channels, and the features are definitely there. However the clean channel just seems to lack high end on humbucker equipped guitars Unless I have the treble control up at 8. I need to have a "useable" clean channel on an amp for pedals and just plain clean playing.

So, I don't know. I like the fact that it's a marshall, and it does rock, and if I gig it'll definitely have the power, but on the other hand I have other amps that have enough power as well, but can also play softly much better, and also just have a better more versatile sound, like my Carvin X-100Bs and Mesa DC-5

Thoughts?

So, for a while now I've had a Marshall TSL122 combo that I have in my "amp rotation". It's nice, but I'm seriously considering moving it along its way to a new owner. Maybe I'm not bonding with it, or maybe I'm just impatient, but I thought it would be BETTER. It is VERY loud, almost un-tameable, and also weighs quite a bit. It does the marshall sound great on The Crunch and Lead channels, and the features are definitely there. However the clean channel just seems to lack high end on humbucker equipped guitars Unless I have the treble control up at 8. I need to have a "useable" clean channel on an amp for pedals and just plain clean playing.

So, I don't know. I like the fact that it's a marshall, and it does rock, and if I gig it'll definitely have the power, but on the other hand I have other amps that have enough power as well, but can also play softly much better, and also just have a better more versatile sound, like my Carvin X-100Bs and Mesa DC-5

Thoughts?

1st thought is disconnect the internal speaker and run it through a closed back 212 or 412. Be loud. I never fully got the TSL as a combo. I like the DSL50-100 heads but they like to be cranked as well.

My TSL601 was the same. Great crunch, good OD, bland cleans. The JCM900 was much better. One thought, relatively inexpensive to try - replace the preamp tube that drives the clean side. Get something a bit brighter, like a hotter JJ-pre. If your tubes are stock, it's probably a co-branded GT ECC83. Could do better than that.

current tube complement is a JJEC83S gold in in V1, with Tung Sol reissues in the rest of the spots. It has definitely been retubed before by a previous owner. I got it from Dave's in WI so I don't know any of its history.

I think though, that it's just too much of an amp for me. I am not exactly a fan of amps that don't sound good until you are starting to break windows.

Don't think I could use a Marshall unless it has a master volume.

Each channel has a master volume, and there is the VPR switch, which reduces the output by about 75%, so the volume is definitely not uncontrollable. Marshall has never been much for master volumes though, and their most highly regarded amps are still the single channel ones.

I also have amps without an overall MV that are much more easy to control than the marshall.

current tube complement is a JJEC83S gold in in V1, with Tung Sol reissues in the rest of the spots. It has definitely been retubed before by a previous owner. I got it from Dave's in WI so I don't know any of its history.

I think though, that it's just too much of an amp for me. I am not exactly a fan of amps that don't sound good until you are starting to break windows.

Plus 1 on the quoted~ :icon_thumright:

Each channel has a master volume, and there is the VPR switch, which reduces the output by about 75%, so the volume is definitely not uncontrollable. Marshall has never been much for master volumes though, and their most highly regarded amps are still the single channel ones.

I also have amps without an overall MV that are much more easy to control than the marshall.

That's what I figured. I'd love a marshall amp, but the only thing usable for me is either a class V or a Haze 15W.

I've thought about the Class 5 and the haze, but they have the other problem: not enough knobs/channels/etc. I love the functionality that the TSL122 has with different effects loops for the clean and dirty channels, FX mix, reverb level, etc. I just wish it wasn't so dang loud.

• 2 weeks later...

I never liked the cleans on anything past the JCM800

have you tried the vintage modern amps? I haven't, but they may have the sounds/features you're looking for

you could always use another amp for clean, with an AB switch

personally I'm a fan of simple amps, and just throw a fuzz in front etc if needed

I love marshall crunch and dirt and some of their cleans. Not a boogie fan BUT I now have a mesa boogie electra dyne and love it. Single channel with three modes. Does a great clean and dirty. You should check one out.

That's what I figured. I'd love a marshall amp, but the only thing usable for me is either a class V or a Haze 15W.

This is the honeymoon talking here, but...no JTM45? Sounds really good at low volume.

1st thought is disconnect the internal speaker and run it through a closed back 212 or 412. Be loud. I never fully got the TSL as a combo. I like the DSL50-100 heads but they like to be cranked as well.

I have got to agree that using an external cabinet (4x12) makes a world of difference in what you are able to hear/do with these amps. I have a 30th Anniversary combo (3 ch) that sounds a bit shrill and bottomless, as all combos tend to do when using the single EVM12L, but when I play it through a 4x12 cabinet or even add a single closed/ported cabinet, the sound becomes night and day. The extra pushed air makes the greatest difference and the extra speakers do not have to be anything exceptional. I've found that a looser constructed cabinet will give you a deeper bottom end as the baffle moves pushing air coupled with the driver.

You will never have a perfect clean out of a Marshall, but the 30th Anniversary does a passable job at getting what you need done. It sounds truly great in crunch mode (pushed JTM45) without having to be overly loud. I seldom use the lead channel and when I do, it is with a reduced gain setting at the front-end actually making it less overall gain than the crunch channel. I use this for the mid-level of drive, with the crunch mode (2nd ch) actually being used for the more driven voices. Finally, I never fully crank my amps as output tubes are just too expensive to piss away on a whim.

I have got to agree that using an external cabinet (4x12) makes a world of difference in what you are able to hear/do with these amps. I have a 30th Anniversary combo (3 ch) that sounds a bit shrill and bottomless, as all combos tend to do when using the single EVM12L, but when I play it through a 4x12 cabinet or even add a single closed/ported cabinet, the sound becomes night and day. The extra pushed air makes the greatest difference and the extra speakers do not have to be anything exceptional. I've found that a looser constructed cabinet will give you a deeper bottom end as the baffle moves pushing air coupled with the driver.

You will never have a perfect clean out of a Marshall, but the 30th Anniversary does a passable job at getting what you need done. It sounds truly great in crunch mode (pushed JTM45) without having to be overly loud. I seldom use the lead channel and when I do, it is with a reduced gain setting at the front-end actually making it less overall gain than the crunch channel. I use this for the mid-level of drive, with the crunch mode (2nd ch) actually being used for the more driven voices. Finally, I never fully crank my amps as output tubes are just too expensive to piss away on a whim.

I use the term "cranked" maybe a little flippantly a lot of the time. What I mean is a volume that I can hear myself and the snare and hats.

I use the term "cranked" maybe a little flippantly a lot of the time. What I mean is a volume that I can hear myself and the snare and hats.

That is pretty much how I understood you. I guess I was just trying emphasize that paint doesn't have to peel to sound good with a Marshall, regardless of the stereotype. I was focused on the extra cabinet thingy.

well, currently I'm getting along with the amp more. Maybe I just learned how to dial it in better, who knows. I'm playing it exclusively right now, an I'm going to switch amps soon to the Boogie DC-5 or the Carvin X-100b series IV, and see how they compare.

• 5 months later...

Came across this thread again. haha.

Friend of mine is talking about letting me bum his Marshall TSL from time to time. It's a TSL602. I told him that I am not exactly picky here. Was always a fan of these. I have weird tastes in clean.. and by clean I mean not so much. haha. I like a little bit of grity in my clean. Even for jazz. I call that grit in jazz tone 'smoke'. Just sounds like a smoky clean to me.

Archived