Heritage Owners Club

Marshall sound - what amp?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Dr Z Amps. They have the "boutique" vibe, are reasonably priced and get great reviews. Try out a Dr Z Maz 18 if you can -- 2 EL84s and about 20 watts. It's not a Marshall clone per se but it's of that ilk. I have one, and can dial in the "plexi" sounds plus many others. It has a very distinctive "big" low end thump. Enough gain for classic rock, but not a metal-heads amp. With an attenuator it can be tamed to reasonable levels, and they often come with Dr Z's "brake lite" installed. I have one and love it (in case you can't tell ;)).

IMHO, you will not get a "Marshally" vibe out of any of the 5 watt combos out there (even the Marshalls), as they are for the most part clones of early Fender Champs and thus lean towards a "tweed" sound, plus they usually have smaller speakers; you'll need a 1x12 to get the fat sound.

Swart is another good boutique builder, though I don't know off the top of my head whether they have any Marshall-voiced combos.

oops, that wasn't a combo...

AC30 CC1 is a fantastic amp too

Do you have one? I've got a CC1 and think it's probably my "best" amp. Everything sounds good thru that amp. Did you know that's a Tony Bruno design? It's almost a boutique amp in it's own right. If it weren't for the Asian mass-produced pedigree. :rolleyes_mini: Not that Vox produced that many of the CC1s.

I liked my CC1, but in the end it wasn't for me. I didn't know it at the time, but I'm a Marshall guy. At the time I liked the Vox sound but wanted it thicker and better for blues. I went down the EF86 route and eventually realized that what was killing me was the upper mids. Sold the Vox CC1 with added on EF86, then bought and sold a Vox AC15H1TV then finally landed my Blackstar. Owing to deal hunting and good gear swapping acumen I think the Blackstar only REALLY cost me 329 GBP out of pocket TOTAL (meaning the journey from a SS Fender Frontman 25R to the Blackstar). The Vox CC1 cost me only 229 GBP which I then sold for 550 (after putting 100 GBP in it for the EF86). Used that money to buy an AC15H1TV for 450, later sold it for 450. Bought the Blackstar for 550.

:)

Going a totally different route, maybe try an MI Audio Crunch Box pedal: Around $100, a "Marshall in a Box." Another cheaper option would be a used Traynor YCV40; 6V6 tubes, 2 channels, and the dirt channel, to me, is quite "Marshally." Used, these are CHEAP! I got mine used at GC for $200! I was looking for a Deluxe Reverb at the time, and bought this instead. Similar cleans to the DRRI, but, in the end, I bought the DRRI, too, as I had to have that sweet Fender reverb... Good luck, Randy!

Okay, so I scratched the itch. Got a pedal coming next week. Granted, it's 45lbs so a bit wieldly, but it should do the marshall thingy pretty well. Or not - didn't play thru one, so 'doing a tully' and thinking I'll like the audio by reading about it. The book's usually better than the movie, but still there's always hope. Anyway, still think I'm more of a 'DR guy', but it's all about balance. With this, my li'l tool box will have elec guitars=straps='pedals' (ahem), so balanced it is.

Gotta stop reading gear threads... don't wanna go out of balance.

Okay, so I scratched the itch. Got a pedal coming next week. Granted, it's 45lbs so a bit wieldly, but it should do the marshall thingy pretty well. Or not - didn't play thru one, so 'doing a tully' and thinking I'll like the audio by reading about it. The book's usually better than the movie, but still there's always hope. Anyway, still think I'm more of a 'DR guy', but it's all about balance. With this, my li'l tool box will have elec guitars=straps='pedals' (ahem), so balanced it is.

A "45lb pedal" :drunken_smilie: Does that pedal come complete with a speaker, input jack, tolex and a handle for "easy carrying"? :rolleyes_mini:

I tried to stay out of this thread. I just wanted to say JTM45 head and 212 cab everytime I checked in.

I only posted the other stomp threads to show how it shouldnt be done :blush: . I thought the subtext of those threads was quite clear. :drunken_smilie:

A "45lb pedal" :drunken_smilie: Does that pedal come complete with a speaker, input jack, tolex and a handle for "easy carrying"? :rolleyes_mini:

Why yes... you've done this before have you? :)

I tried to stay out of this thread. I just wanted to say JTM45 head and 212 cab everytime I checked in.

I only posted the other stomp threads to show how it shouldnt be done :blush: . I thought the subtext of those threads was quite clear. :drunken_smilie:

I know I know... plexi and closed back. Yup agree. It's my laziness that keeps me in the low weight simple combo realm. What I got from your pedal threads was recognition. Looking in a mirror. And the realization that even with the risk I'll keep doing it because sometimes there really is a pot of gold there.

I know I know... plexi and closed back. Yup agree. It's my laziness that keeps me in the low weight simple combo realm. What I got from your pedal threads was recognition. Looking in a mirror. And the realization that even with the risk I'll keep doing it because sometimes there really is a pot of gold there.

Curious to see what you have on the way. Pretty sure your estimates on what you are after might be more refined than my own recent insanity ^_^ .

I just literally finished my Metroamp JTM45 today. I kid you not: No finer sound in the world. Marshall cleans at their very best.

I just literally finished my Metroamp JTM45 today. I kid you not: No finer sound in the world. Marshall cleans at their very best.

Congrats on the build and success. Yeah, the clean's....stuck with me ever since the 1st time I plugged into one. I had only used JCM800-900's with preamp cranked up to that point and didnt know a Marshall could sound like that. Kind of a lights on moment.

Well, not with amps. But I've done something similar when buying strings ............. :glasses9:

Well Randy I got on of these from a Local builder in Dayton, Twister Amps Dust Devil (12 watts with vari-watt control and effects loop from one EL34, one 12Ax7 and a rectifier tube. it is a combo with a 1x12 scumback m-75). Think of it as a British version of the Fender Deluxe!

Holy Crap that sounds great!! How are the cleans?

Holy Crap that sounds great!! How are the cleans?

Listen for yourself.... not a ton of headroom, it's made to be a "British-voiced" Tweed Deluxe, but the cleans it has are great.

I am going to bring it to PSP4.

Do you have one? I've got a CC1 and think it's probably my "best" amp. Everything sounds good thru that amp. Did you know that's a Tony Bruno design? It's almost a boutique amp in it's own right. If it weren't for the Asian mass-produced pedigree. :rolleyes_mini: Not that Vox produced that many of the CC1s.

yes, I had a CC1 and two CC2's ( one 2x12 with wharfedales & one with celestion blues)

they are awesome & get fantastic cleans ( The Shadows ), nice trem & verb, and extremely versatile distortion...anything from early Who, to The Jam, to Zeppelin, to Soundgarden/Pearl Jam...plus add pedals to your liking

I sold my Twin Reverb after I got the vox

actually it's not Tony Bruno who designed it but Steve Grindrod from Marshall, probably with some input from Mitch Colby...on plexipalace he discusses some details; Marshall owns Vox...and funny enough I think the new voxes sound better than any of the new marshalls

There's a ton of nice amps in this thread - really excellent suggestions. But, alas, I've my heart set on a 1963 Gibson Saturn 2x10 50W tube amp. Think it's the only thing that'll fit the bill. I hear that the best way to find these is to check out garage sales. Shouldn't take me too long. Likely will find one the first place I stop.

Yeh, gonna go out now and hit a few... they should be closing up 'bout now and I'll probably get a good deal on it, too.

:rolleyes_mini::rolleyes_mini::rolleyes_mini:

There's a ton of nice amps in this thread - really excellent suggestions. But, alas, I've my heart set on a 1963 Gibson Saturn 2x10 50W tube amp. Think it's the only thing that'll fit the bill. I hear that the best way to find these is to check out garage sales. Shouldn't take me too long. Likely will find one the first place I stop.

Yeh, gonna go out now and hit a few... they should be closing up 'bout now and I'll probably get a good deal on it, too.

:rolleyes_mini::rolleyes_mini::rolleyes_mini:

smarta$$!! :laugh_mini::laugh_mini::laugh_mini:

hahaha, too funny!!

tulk1, actually I found out Bruno helped with the next gen AC30 design after the CC1 & CC2, ( I think they're called the C2X?? ) plus the handwired series, I never knew that, interesting

ps I'm guessing the 45 lb pedal comes in a black tolex box with gold trim, and says "jtm45" on it somewhere :D

Archived