Heritage Owners Club

Marshall sound - what amp?

Thinking of getting an amp in the 'Marshall' voice territory. Ideally, a 1x12 combo under 50 lbs that can get a decent warm sustain Marshall sound at a relatively low volume. I've 5 amps with 6v6 tubes, my fav amp my Allen Accomplish Jr (think Fender Deluxe Reverb). Just looking for something different... a bunch of boutique builders out there - Reinhardt, Germino, etc. Any recommendations from those of you that gravitate to that sound?

Thinking of getting an amp in the 'Marshall' voice territory. Ideally, a 1x12 combo under 50 lbs that can get a decent warm sustain Marshall sound at a relatively low volume. I've 5 amps with 6v6 tubes, my fav amp my Allen Accomplish Jr (think Fender Deluxe Reverb). Just looking for something different... a bunch of boutique builders out there - Reinhardt, Germino, etc. Any recommendations from those of you that gravitate to that sound?

What type of Marshall tone??? Early WHO, ACDC, EVH, SLASH????

What I am getting at is how much gain are you looking for? Rob has gone completely to EL34s but is basically playing them clean and getting AMAZING results.

If you are looking for Joe Walsh to ZZ Tops tones then I can give the ultimate advice.... Bogner Shiva!!! (Great cleans too)

I hear Metropolis Amps (metroamp.com) does a superior job of the 70s & 80s Marshalls. I've heard and played them; nice...

What type of Marshall tone??? Early WHO, ACDC, EVH, SLASH????

What I am getting at is how much gain are you looking for? Rob has gone completely to EL34s but is basically playing them clean and getting AMAZING results.

If you are looking for Joe Walsh to ZZ Tops tones then I can give the ultimate advice.... Bogner Shiva!!! (Great cleans too)

Early Who was produced through Sound City amps. 6 el34's very cleansoundcity2002.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions so far - looking at all of them. The Marshall 5 sounds almost more 'tweed' than Marshall to me. The Bogner I'm sure is a great amp, but at 71lbs is out of the running. Looked at Metropoulos, but doesn't look like they have a 1x12 (the GPM45 in a 2x12 looks interesting).

John - suppose I'm thinking AAB, Johnny A, Hendrix... cleany to the low(er) gain drive stuff. (and isn't pete, angus, eddie, and slash all the same anyway, just a turn of the gain knob or pedal in front... :)

Have a look at the Blackstar amp range, they have a Marshall voice (amongst others selectable via the ISF knob), are tube amps and are guaranteed to knock your socks off :)

Might keep an eye out for a Marshall JTM 30. These amps have that creamy Marshall overdrive at manageable level, and they made a 1-12 among several configurations. As originally shipped, with 5881's, they overheated, and got a bad reputation as unreliable (I can vouch for all this --I owned one, loved how it sounded, but had problems with it cutting out. I paid to replace the power tranny, but I still didn't trust it, and ended up trading it), but, as it turned out, the problem was just that the 5881's produced too much heat, and with 6L6's, most of the problems went away. Man, I hated when I read that ...cause I really liked the way mine sounded.

It's one of the things I keep an eye out for whenever I cruise through a music store that has used amps. I'd be reluctant to buy one online, cause some apparently really suffered heat damage, but if you could find one in decent shape, it would be a great match for a DR-type amp in a two amp Marshall/Fender type rig. (at least, that's sort of in the back on my mind, if I ever find one.)

Here's a link to a Vintage Guitar piece about them. http://www.andybrauer.com/images/vg/VGSEPT2009red.JPG

I've got a Marshall DSL50 head that I seldom use. It have it connected to either an Avatar 2x12 or a Mesa 4X12, depending on the mood I'm in. Nothing sounds like a Marshall except a Marshall, IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - looking at all of them. The Marshall 5 sounds almost more 'tweed' than Marshall to me. The Bogner I'm sure is a great amp, but at 71lbs is out of the running. Looked at Metropoulos, but doesn't look like they have a 1x12 (the GPM45 in a 2x12 looks interesting).

John - suppose I'm thinking AAB, Johnny A, Hendrix... cleany to the low(er) gain drive stuff. (and isn't pete, angus, eddie, and slash all the same anyway, just a turn of the gain knob or pedal in front... :)

Well Randy I got on of these from a Local builder in Dayton, Twister Amps Dust Devil (12 watts with vari-watt control and effects loop from one EL34, one 12Ax7 and a rectifier tube. it is a combo with a 1x12 scumback m-75). Think of it as a British version of the Fender Deluxe!

If you want Marshall tone similar to Johnny A., why not go for the amp that he uses...Marshall 30th Anniversary. He goes direct to the board live, but if you can find one of those 30th heads or combos, you would be there.

Marshall 30th Anniversary

Johnny A. live rig

Marshall Haze is a decent Marshall Valve amp. The head is a 15w head. Or you could get the 40w 1x12 combo. I tried one of those out. Not to great with a strat, but sounded awesome with a Les Paul.

how about a marshall?

ha

those little 5w tube amps get good reviews, try one out?

I think those Marshall Class V are very limited. They look nice, but their tone controls are very limited. The demo's I've seen, people have to turn the bass all the way off just to keep it from sounding muddy... with a strat!

Guest HRB853370

Not trying to be a smart ass FX, but why not just acquire the real deal?

Not trying to be a smart ass FX, but why not just acquire the real deal?

Didn't mean to exclude Marshall - just so many models don't know how to navigate 'em. Googled 'Marshall Combo' and saw the 1974x 1x12, which would seem to fit the bill. Bit pricey, but suppose in the range of all the small company 'leveraged' designed circuits.

Appreciate the feedback on the JTM30 and 30th anniversary.

Twister sounds like a cool li'l amp - relatively inexpensive, too.

how about a marshall?

ha

those little 5w tube amps get good reviews, try one out?

I have one, Marshall Class 5. All tube, 5 watts made in the UK. I love it. Nothing sounds more like a Marshall than a Marshall.

Any sort of 1974x clone will get you there in spades. Personally, I went with the Blackstar Artisan 15 (they're much more reasonably priced here in the UK).

It's a stunning amp: best cleans AND best OD in an amp I've ever experienced!

Archived