Heritage Owners Club

Gibson GA-50 at my local pawnshop

Sorry, but here's another Pawn Shop story. My friend that owns Monster Pawn found this beast, WITH it's cover, sitting on the side of the road for trash day. He even drove by it several times that day before he stopped to see if it was more than just the old suitcase he assumed it to be! Where am I when these things are kicked to the curb?!

Anyway, it obviously needed some work done, and as I was snapping these pics, the old man he has work on his amps comes up and talks me ear off about what he did to it. He replaced all the caps (sorry vintage buffs!) He said it sounded like a wimpy B--ch until he coupled a couple of the inputs. It was plugged into the "microphone" input when one of the store employees, a Buddy Holly look alike, pulled down a Tele and put it through it's paces. WOW! He The tech had hooked up a speaker bypass switch in an attempt to try and save the original Jensens that were in the amp, and they had it hooked up to a Mesa 1X12 cab. Fat, Fat, Fat, and clean, clean from 2 6L6 power tubes. He said the wiring under the chassis cover looked like spaghetti when he first opened it up. I wonder if that was how it left Gibson, or if someone tried to mess with it later and got in over their head. Anyway, here's what you can find on the side of the road if you have a good eye. They are going to try to get between $1000-$1500 for it. Who knows?

Summer2011096.jpg

Summer2011095.jpg

There is a lot to love about that one.

It would be worth picking up for the cabinet .. or the speakers... and if the amp works (or is repairable)... oh my.

That was a great roadside grab.

I really like the Jensens in that.

Sorry, but here's another Pawn Shop story. My friend that owns Monster Pawn found this beast, WITH it's cover, sitting on the side of the road for trash day. He even drove by it several times that day before he stopped to see if it was more than just the old suitcase he assumed it to be! Where am I when these things are kicked to the curb?!

Anyway, it obviously needed some work done, and as I was snapping these pics, the old man he has work on his amps comes up and talks me ear off about what he did to it. He replaced all the caps (sorry vintage buffs!) He said it sounded like a wimpy B--ch until he coupled a couple of the inputs. It was plugged into the "microphone" input when one of the store employees, a Buddy Holly look alike, pulled down a Tele and put it through it's paces. WOW! He The tech had hooked up a speaker bypass switch in an attempt to try and save the original Jensens that were in the amp, and they had it hooked up to a Mesa 1X12 cab. Fat, Fat, Fat, and clean, clean from 2 6L6 power tubes. He said the wiring under the chassis cover looked like spaghetti when he first opened it up. I wonder if that was how it left Gibson, or if someone tried to mess with it later and got in over their head. Anyway, here's what you can find on the side of the road if you have a good eye. They are going to try to get between $1000-$1500 for it. Who knows?

Summer2011096.jpg

Summer2011095.jpg

Cool story, and that amp looks killer. How old is it? Isin't this the second one turned up recently? Brent found one I think. Good it was rescued, would be a shame to end up in the dump.

Looks like a previous owner labeled it with his name and address on the lower left corner...Bob Thomas...

Guest HRB853370

It's amazing what people throw away!

Actually, its even more amazing what "stupid people" throw away!

Guest HRB853370

Played a '56 GA-40, about a year-and-a-half ago. May be the best sounding blues amp I've ever spanked! If I had a grand, I'd own this one...now!

I love my GA-40 (but its a 2007)

post-2130-0-37975400-1307533566_thumb.jpg

Cool story, and that amp looks killer. How old is it? Isin't this the second one turned up recently? Brent found one I think. Good it was rescued, would be a shame to end up in the dump.

Looks like a previous owner labeled it with his name and address on the lower left corner...Bob Thomas...

The super talkative old man amp tech, who reeked of Marlboros and day-old hard liquor (yet seemed VERY knowledgeable), showed me on the larger Jensen speaker how the numbering on it indicated that the SPEAKER was built in the 18th week of 1950. Later in the coversation, he mentioned how HE had a dead Gibson sitting at home that he was ready to dive into, a GA-77, and that it and this one were both built in 1954. So who knows for sure? Yes, the original owner, had sketched his name, address, (five blocks from the shop) and I think that's an old phone number on the right. I've even seen where some of these older pieces had the persons Social Security number on it! No worries about identity theft in the 50s, I guess! haha. So has anyone ever heard of a Gibson GA-77?!

"So has anyone ever heard of a Gibson GA-77?!"

Gibson GA-77=Gibson Vanguard. Years ago, I bought a used one (25 watts, 2x10s, 9 tubes) and then eventually sold it :icon_joker: and got a new 1977 Kustom II Lead SC (12", solid state) which I still own.

Archived