Heritage Owners Club

Original Factory Run Guitars

DetroitBlues

So when my luthier finished up my guitar on its long overdue refinish job, he did a complete setup on the guitar. He wanted to point something out to me as an FYI. He told me with the fretboard was glued on the guitar, some excess glue went into the trussrod cavity and doesn't leave a lot of room to adjust the trussrod nut. He said it appears to be from when the guitar was made. The headstock was repaired a year or so ago, so I'm not positive where the glue came from the fretboard or the repair. Has anyone else experienced that problem on the first year run of guitars from Heritage? I am fortunate that the guitar was so well made, the trussrod didn't need much adjusting...

All the time I owned that guitar, I never had to adjust the trussrod, so I guess I never noticed it..

Now that's its had a makeover, do you miss it?

Yep..but my 535 keeps me from being too lonely.. :icon_biggrin:

WHen you think about it, although they are "first runs" of Heritage guitars, they a more like 30th runs of solid body, maple capped single cut guitars from the factory.

That said, I can't say I've ever heard of that happening before.

As you said, it very well could have came from the HS repair... but either way I would have to imagine if it was ever in need of a truss rod tweak that the glue could be carefully chipped/shaved away to allow for the adjustment.

As you said, it very well could have came from the HS repair... but either way I would have to imagine if it was ever in need of a truss rod tweak that the glue could be carefully chipped/shaved away to allow for the adjustment.

That was attempted, but there was too much or it was too hard.

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to orginal factory runs, I had the pleasure of showing my guitar to Marv when he was leaving the PSP party. He mentioned how much he liked that model guitar and thinks it would be a great idea to re-introduce a model just like mine. That would be really cool!

Here's another very odd thing I noticed. The headstock is narrower than other Heritages I've played. KBP810 H-150 has a wider headstock than my H-140. I think his was made in the 90's...

Yes, it is a more narrow headstock on the early ones.. Here is my '89 140 headstock next to a 2000 H150.. ( although the angle makes it hard to compare... )

gallery_1051_3_515404.jpg

Going back to orginal factory runs, I had the pleasure of showing my guitar to Marv when he was leaving the PSP party. He mentioned how much he liked that model guitar and thinks it would be a great idea to re-introduce a model just like mine. That would be really cool!

I think it should be named after you. Detroit Special sounds good.

Yes, it is a more narrow headstock on the early ones.. Here is my '89 140 headstock next to a 2000 H150.. ( although the angle makes it hard to compare... )

gallery_1051_3_515404.jpg

I compared my 140 to Big Bob's, they were the same, but I'm not sure how old his is. Its the blue one in the group shot with three pickups and the hillbilly crow bar....

I think it should be named after you. Detroit Special sounds good.

I'd be so honored, but there are way better guitarists on the HOC who invest more into Heritage than I ever could. Having a Heritage Tribute line would be cool though!

Traditionally, what was done with the truss rod, to keep it from binding in any excess glue from the fretboard installation, was to coat the truss rod with beeswax, to keep the glue from gaining a purchase on the rod. Later, Gibson put the truss rod into a lightweight plastic sleeve, to keep it from binding. Some vintage purists claim this has an adverse effect on the tone.

Archived