Heritage Owners Club

Body mounting a humbucker?

H

When I swapped out the Schallers for Phat Cats in my 535 at the weekend, I took a photo of an intermediate stage where the guitar had no mounting rings but the pickups were in situ. 

39ab54fe.jpg

The look of this arrangement has really grown on me (pickup mounting ring holes aside) and I'd like to mount the Phat Cats directly into the centre block somehow whilst retaining some vertical adjustment capabilities.

Has anyone seen this done, perhaps with some sort of under-pickup mounting system? I can picture what I'd need but, if there's a system out there already, I'd rather not go through the trouble of getting a pair custom-built. 

You could maybe fabricate a mounting plate underneath... kind of like whats done for Mini Humbuckers and Soapbars - whereas the plate mounts to the block, and then the pickups mount to the plate. From there you could use a spring in between the two for adjusting.

You could maybe fabricate a mounting plate underneath... kind of like whats done for Mini Humbuckers and Soapbars - whereas the plate mounts to the block, and then the pickups mount to the plate. From there you could use a spring in between the two for adjusting.

This is what I was thinking of and I'm pretty sure I could get a pair fabricated. However, if such plates are available somewhere out there, I'd prefer to just buy them off the shelf.

I wouldn't recommend it because why fix what isn't broken?

Because I think it would look nice...

I have an EBMM Axis with direct mount humbuckers .... and I wish there was some height adjustment. Another guitar, an Ibanez Prestige, has foam under the pickups for height adjustment

I reckon if there is anything under the pickup that is not solid, foam spacing or springs etc then there is no point in having the pickup that way. Any benefit from direct mounting would be negated. It might as well be on a pickup mounting ring. You could make up some wooden spacers but they will need to attached to the body in some manner, with glue or screws. If glue is used and a return to stock is required then it might be messy. With screws they would be easily removed but I know I wouldn't like to be drilling the holes in the guitar myself.

Axis

_IMG_0928.jpg

Prestige

DSCF0660.jpg

pics for reference purposes only :icon_salut:

I reckon if there is anything under the pickup that is not solid, foam spacing or springs etc then there is no point in having the pickup that way. Any benefit from direct mounting would be negated.

Sonically, perhaps. This is about aesthetics though.

This is what I was thinking of and I'm pretty sure I could get a pair fabricated. However, if such plates are available somewhere out there, I'd prefer to just buy them off the shelf.

Because I think it would look nice...

I actually think the opposite. Not to offend you, but the unmounted humbuckers remind me of an unfished guitar. It might be in part of the Gibson BFG guitar that had that look. Might of tainted my perspective, darn those Gibson folks in Nasville! :mad:

I have an EBMM Axis with direct mount humbuckers .... and I wish there was some height adjustment. Another guitar, an Ibanez Prestige, has foam under the pickups for height adjustment

I reckon if there is anything under the pickup that is not solid, foam spacing or springs etc then there is no point in having the pickup that way. Any benefit from direct mounting would be negated. It might as well be on a pickup mounting ring. You could make up some wooden spacers but they will need to attached to the body in some manner, with glue or screws. If glue is used and a return to stock is required then it might be messy. With screws they would be easily removed but I know I wouldn't like to be drilling the holes in the guitar myself.

Axis

_IMG_0928.jpg

pics for reference purposes only :icon_salut:

A friend of mine recently purchased the new EVH Wolfgang. He spent well over $3k for the guitar that is more about the name on the headstock than actual appointments. Ernie Ball's version is much cheaper as the old Peavey designed one. The top insn't carved, bolt on neck, vaneer instead of cap, etc... It just doesn't justify the price. Yes, they are custom EVH pups. Yes, it has a D-tuna tremolo system. Yes it has a birdseye maple neck and stainless steel frets. However, it doesn't add up to the sum of the parts. I think the same tone could of been achieved with a nice Ibanez or even an older Fender Contemporary Strat.

I obviously got the wrong end of the stick on this one. The direct mount humbuckers on the Axis were a follow on from the EBMM EVH model, it seems Eddie wanted them that way so as to maximise the sustain / tone. I find the pickups on the Axis to be a little too far away from the strings and have thought about using foam spacers but as I mentioned already it would miss the whole point of direct mounting them in the first place.

I presumed you were trying for the same on the 535.

I obviously got the wrong end of the stick on this one. The direct mount humbuckers on the Axis were a follow on from the EBMM EVH model, it seems Eddie wanted them that way so as to maximise the sustain / tone. I find the pickups on the Axis to be a little too far away from the strings and have thought about using foam spacers but as I mentioned already it would miss the whole point of direct mounting them in the first place.

'

Yep, its definitely a set it and forget it scenerio...

I see, the screw holes for the pu rings look a little obvious. Do you intend to fill them ?

That's an issue that needs addressing, certainly. There's also the small space at the long sides of the pickup and the visibility of the pickup legs. I could probably live with the former, not sure about the latter.

Time to experiment with some temporary arrangements to see how it could look :)

I direct mounted p/up's in some of my old Yamaha's. I cut wood spacers to the correct height and glued them in. It took a few measurements and a couple of tries but I got it right in the end. They had Yamaha's version of a Floyd Rose so it was a bit of pain.

Sonically I dont think there was much in it. I dont think their was an increase in sustain but there may have been. What I mean is it didnt make a crap guitar good or a good guitar better or worse.

Stylistically I think it look's cool on the 535. Hot rod vibe going on. A one piece stop tail and some different tone and vol controls would give a 535 a cool modern retro look.. Or a bigsby with a with a wiggle arm like the one on HFB's gold 535.

Thanks for the info, Tully.

I was thinking more along the lines of a half inch width piece of sheet metal with a couple of folds at each end so I'd retain the ability to change the pickup height, rather than fix it with a wood shim. Something like this (excuse the fag-packet drawing):

d4bf286a.jpg

Dimensions are for a Phat Cat. The screw holes in the centre section would screw to the block, the others are for the pickup leg fixing and adjustment. The height may need more thought.

It's nice to know that a fellow HOCer has given this a try though.

I had 12 rg yamaha guitars that I used to experiment on. p/up swaps and switching configerations and alternatives, direct mounting v spring/pad mounted v p/up ring v pickgaurd , string brands and gauges, headstock mass, body mass, tuners, nuts, frets, fretboards etc

I came to the conclusion a speaker swap or cab swap had a significantly bigger sonic impact than any of the above swaps did. :crazy_mini:

Maybe buy a guitar less attractive than your H150 to mess around on. You can pick up really cheap Japanese Ibanez and Yamaha's that are great instruments to play but not so precious you are to scared to cut into them.

I'm not planning to cut any wood on the guitar! :) I'm just looking for an invisible mounting system. As Southpawguy pointed out, there are artefacts of the ring mount previously installed that may make this cosmetically impractical.

No harm in giving it a go though :)

the problem is that to get the bridge pickup high enough you might have to have the pickup floating in the air, and possibly have to pack foam under it. If the guitar was not made for direct to body mounting, I would say it's best to keep it with the rings.

Archived