Heritage Owners Club

H 110...The Sleeper in the Pack?

VJonathan

I don't own a 110 but I almost bought one last year at PSP3. I ended up with my Firebird 357 instead. Of course I paid more for it.....

The H110 is on my radar. One in VWB... just like the one hanging on the wall at Heritage.

There's a new one that fits your spec for sale in Switzerland for about €2300 ($3300). I suspect it'll be there for quite a while at that price!

Come to think of it, this is a fresh design to come out of Heritage in a while. It's too bad this instrument has not yet garnered the attention it probably deserves. A compact, lightweight chambered body w/o out a centered block could yield some interesting 335/535 esque tone. If anyone owns one, please step in. I would like to know more. Unfortunately, I have not seen one available to play.

Yeap, I do indeed have one, and it's a keeper! In fact, it just so happens to be the very same one that's shown on the Heritage website:

IMG_7291.jpg

Another member who has an H110 is blueox, and his guitar can be seen here:

http://www.heritageo...10-h110-custom/

While the H110 does seem to be a "sleeper," I tend to wonder if Heritage has produced enough of them to have created any kind of a demand for them in the first place. When I was shopping for the 110, I only found four of them for sale: three in the US (one was a lefty) and the other in Europe as mentioned above. Beyond that, the only other three that I'm aware of are in the hands of blueox (custom order), the second at the Heritage plant, and the third can be found in a YouTube NAMM promotional video. My best guess is that no more than about a dozen of them have been made, but I would suppose Heritage could verify the number.

As far as the tone of the H110, I wouldn't expect for it to sound much like an H535 or a Gibson 335. While it is indeed chambered or semi-hollow, to my ears it much more resembles the sound of a Les Paul with a little more openness to it (i.e., just a hint of being a little more mellow and hollow), especially when playing the guitar on overdrive amp settings. On the other hand, I can definitely hear much more of a hollow vibe when play clean jazz chords. For chording it's generally nice and full sounding, but if you're looking for a fatter and woodier tone for jazz soloing, I tend to think it falls a little short that department. All in all, though, it's a great sounding guitar.

Shortly after buying the H110, I bought an H170 chambered model from a HOC member as well and, interestingly, both guitars sound very similar. The 170 has a slightly deeper body (2" as opposed to 1 5/8"), and I tend to think it's also just a tad mellower than the 110.

In my older years, though, I've really come to appreciate the lighter weight of a guitar, and the 110 delivers big-time at just a hair under seven pounds. Of course, I've modded the guitar with some lighter parts to get it there, but even without doing that it would still be one of the lightest guitars I've ever played that still maintains very good tone.

In the end, it's a great guitar! It's really too bad there aren't more of them around.

It really doesn't look much more different from a 170 except the upper horn projects out in a stratocaster like design. Either way, its a fine piece of Heritage functional artwork!

I think the 170 has more of a center block.

If I'm not mistaken, the H170 is designed to be a solid-bodied guitar while the H110 is designed as a semi-hollow or chambered guitar. However, both can be custom-ordered to be either way. Just for the record, both my 110 and 170 have chambered bodies very similar to the Millennium design below:

Millyrouting.jpg

There's no 335-style center block to speak of in either of them.....just the solid mass at the bridge/tailpiece area.

About the upper horn, I'll agree that it looks kind of odd and unusual, but it has to grow on you......LOL.

It is the asymmetric design of the upper horn that makes this guitar so cool. This design is "out of the box" and certainly does not conform to the now defaulted guitar shapes & forms of the 1950s. As Jimbob said: .."it has to grow on you." JMHO :)

It is the asymmetric design of the upper horn that makes this guitar so cool. This design is "out of the box" and certainly does not conform to the now defaulted guitar shapes & forms of the 1950s. As Jimbob said: .."it has to grow on you." JMHO :)

I think it looks like a.... yeah. guitars are already phallic symbols in many ways. no reason to add to that. It somehow just doesn't look nearly as good as other body horns.

Archived