Heritage Owners Club

Wah Pedal- Is your Wah on the floor, or on the board

koula901

I'm re-working my mini pedal board, but considering buying the board one size larger. If I get the pedaltrain Jr, I'd put the wah on it, but wonder if it would be harder to play it, as it'll be at an angle.

For those of you who use a wah/or volume pedal, does it work for you if it's tilted up at a slight angle if on an angled pedal board, or do you prefer it flat to the ground? I'm not sure I could balance on one foot that long, if it's at an angle.

I use a Rocktron Hex expression pedal that sits flat on the floor tethered by an 18" cable to my Midimate, which passes the position to the Wah processor in the rack.

I would imagine you could get used to any configuration, but the ergonomics of the flat floor would probably be more comfortable.

I'm re-working my mini pedal board, but considering buying the board one size larger. If I get the pedaltrain Jr, I'd put the wah on it, but wonder if it would be harder to play it, as it'll be at an angle.

For those of you who use a wah/or volume pedal, does it work for you if it's tilted up at a slight angle if on an angled pedal board, or do you prefer it flat to the ground? I'm not sure I could balance on one foot that long, if it's at an angle.

First ... told you so when you got the mini!

Second ... If you have a GC near you, check out the Pedal Train GC edition, made just for them, barely over $100. Includes a hard case. It's not that much more than the PT, Jr. with soft case. Plus you'll have room to grow. As for the wah pedal, you'll never notice the difference with it on the board. The angle is not that steep. In fact, it might be easier to play. And you won't be standing on one foot with it on the board anymore than you'd be standing on one foot with it on the floor.

Just an FYI, I have a vol pedal on both of my pedal boards (electric and acoustic) and the fact that they're on the board has never been an issue. And of course, my wah pedal was designed to be on the board. Now talk about something that takes getting used to! But I think I've got it down. Cool little pedal wah. :icon_thumleft:

@ Tulk - I've been wondering how you liked the wah pedal - glad it worked out.

On mini board - yeah, well, I should have followed my original instinct to buy the medium sized one. Instead I followed someone's advice, from this forum, to buy a big one to grow into - it turned out to be too big. I think the medium one will be just fine. I'll definitely check out the GC one you recommend.

thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Guest HRB853370

I have no room on the bc60 board for it, so it sits next to it on the floor.

Guest HRB853370

My Dunlop Wah/Vol Pedal is mounted perfectly level on an SKB pedalboard.

I only have a problem when I wear really high heels. :icon_silent:

Guys that wear high heels don't deserve custom H525's. Hand it over.

I'm not sure I could do the wah at an angle thing.

A slightly ot question .... do you wah with your left foot or your right foot ? I'm left handed but right footed so the wah would need to be on the right side of the board.

I'm not sure I could do the wah at an angle thing.

A slightly ot question .... do you wah with your left foot or your right foot ? I'm left handed but right footed so the wah would need to be on the right side of the board.

A good question. I wah with my right foot, and would put the wah first on my board (or on the floor); that is, to the far right.

I've been a big Wah fan (Dunlop) since getting my first one waaaaaaaaaayyyyy back when. It was my first effects pedal. Back in the '70s it was almost my signature sound. I've used it on the floor, way before pedal boards were the norm. I've had it on the PedalTrain and sitting next to the board. It's been used as a foot rest many times, or a prop on stage. I prefer to use my right foot, being right handed. But there are many times when I've had to use the left foot because I was out of position and needed it on right then!

Wah pedal anecdote. Last year when I was still using the Cry Baby I had it on the pedal train jr. We were playing on the floor, one of those bars where there's no stage, just a spot for the band. We're doing, of all songs, Mustang Sally. Time for the greatest MusSal Lead of all times. I crank the vol on the guitar a bit, reach out to the wah, kinda hit it a glancing blow rather than stomping on it and ......... whosh!!! There goes the pedal board flying across the floor. It flies out the length of the amp cable (about 5 ft) and then does a spin on the floor. I'm laughing so hard I can barely play. I just sorta reeled it in and went from there. Ahh, fun times.

Steve Morse once told me that while at a gig in Seattle a cop was going to ticket them because they did have a wheel chock on their equipment truck. He whipped out a wah petal (I don't remember the brand but probably whatever he was endorsing at the time) and slid it under the wheel. They rolled the truck back, it held, and no ticket. Then the band played on!

Okay Katy, I took the wah out today. Matched it with my Pro-Co Rat, plugged into my Tele and and the black faced super reverb. I've always used the wah as a treble boost because of high end loss from the Rat. What a screamer. It not only shook the plaster I broke some loose. A virtual blues machine. I had forgotten how nice it was. Thanks for the dare.

I have a sloped board with my Wah and volume pedals on it. The angle has never made a difference to me. Your ear is driving the adjustments your making with your foot, not the relative angle of your foot to the floor, so I would be surprised if you noticed any difference (other than the added setup/breakdown time required with the wah on the fllor).

Katy, my wah always stays on the floor: I never owned a pedal board and I use few pedals anyway. I am old school...

Archived