Heritage Owners Club

H-137 Q&A

DetroitBlues

What I don't get is, as simplistic as they are, why do the command such a high price? I can buy a nice 150 all day for the price of a 137!

Just play one and you'll see. Simple elegance. Light and easy to play. In your face tone.

What I don't get is, as simplistic as they are, why do the command such a high price? I can buy a nice 150 all day for the price of a 137!

I'd have to agree with Slammer. Yes its a quality guitar, but the effort to make one of those is much less than any other Heritage produced. Essentially, its a 140/150 body without the carved maple top. There is no binding, the fretboard is dots, and the pickups are less expensive than other models. The evil empires version of this guitar is only a $1k, which in essence, isn't much different than this model.

Personally, I would never mount a pick guard on a 137.

Again, just me, but I think they look better without any pick guard.

I'd have to agree with Slammer. Yes its a quality guitar, but the effort to make one of those is much less than any other Heritage produced. Essentially, its a 140/150 body without the carved maple top. There is no binding, the fretboard is dots, and the pickups are less expensive than other models. The evil empires version of this guitar is only a $1k, which in essence, isn't much different than this model.

Well, why I do also agree, to an extent... you have to consider that the guitar is still hand made; and while simpler to build then a 140 or 150, there is still indeed a great deal of labor going into it.

I do want to check you on your pickup comment though, 137's do not have cheap or sub-par pup's going in them by any means. I believe the standard seems to be Lollar's, which are damn fine P90! :)

It seems like building any guitar cost a certain amount. The price of a 137 is at that price point. Adding the extras doesn't jack the cost up that much more. I am guessing....

Consider, Detroit, that these 137's would be like a Gibson Custom Shop guitar, so, that jacks the price up, I would imagine, at least another thousand.

I am jumping in here. YAY!

I agree with those that have said that virtually the same amount of work goes into a 137 as in a 150. There are some price differences in componentry, but they aren't huge and get even less so when you are dealing with the likely lower costs that Heritage pays for them.

Also, as Koula put it, you are not paying for a standard, mass produced Gibson. You are getting the equivalent of a Custom Shop Gibson. That would EASILY put their version of this guitar in the low $2000's for you... out the door... at large chain where the prices are generally lower.

I believe Wolfe sells 137's for about $1900 (please correct me if I am wrong) and that has Heritage several hundred short of what Gibson would likely sell theirs for. This is a theme we have seen with virtually every Gibson Custom cost vs Heritage cost I've seen.

And doubly so if you're a lefty, ( literally).

and that's IF Gibson stoops so low as to even make a lefty. some models, they refuse to even make a lefty, of.

Ain't that the truth, and by the time a lefty one gets to Europe the price has been so inflated it costs an arm, a leg and a kidney !

Not of the euro goes down!

Archived