Heritage Owners Club

Thoughts on a Jazzkat Tomkat

reif

I will be a lone wolf and recommend a solid state amp- the Henriksen. For clean tones the JazzAmp is wonderful.

http://www.jazzamp.com/

Henriksen is a family business. One great innovation is the use of only equalizers instead of traditional tone controls.

For full disclosure, I also have a Fender Super Reverb.

A friend of mine is a Jazzkat dealer and only lives about 15 minutes away. I'll check with him to see if he has one in stock. if so, I'll play through it and let you know.

Martygrass idea is great..........also try Acoustic Image. Mine is a Clarus 2r series II. It kicks butt for warm, fat jazz tones. Makes my Sweet 16 sound like heaven.

I heard from the guy that had it up on craigs list.

It is an older model and not the one im interested in.

I think you can go either way with this newer model which is what I find interesting.

the new TomKat model go new about 995.00.

I am interested in a used one.

I own a JazzKat TwinKat (2x10) and gig with it when playing outdoors or with an electric combo. For more straight ahead work inside i use my Acoustic Image Clarus 2 with Raezers Edge Stealth 10 cab. I have been meaning to post a review. The TwinKat is Buil super solid; mine has seen some accidental abuse and remains super reliable.

I like it a lot. It is a hybrid with a pre-amp tube. it is big sounding for a small sub 30 lb amp and very portable. i can play almost acoustically, or keep up with a full electirc band or organ trio situation. it is versatile and cuts through an electric mix better than my Acoustic Image. The Acoustic Image is a cleaner more "natural" acoustic sounding amp, it brings out more of the acoustic quality of my 575MH, but the TwinKat is warm, very articulate and the pre-amp tube adds an element of natural tube tone. You do have to be careful with the controls. the you can very quickly go from a wonderful sound that warms your heart to a sonic mess. Also, the reverb decay is somehat quick. You have to listen closely to notice, but it kind of cuts abruptly. Again- very subtle and you have to listen hard for it in order to notice. Just not quite as natural sounding reverb, but a minor issue. I've got it dialed in right now and get a very '65 Twin Reverb tone out of it (minus 40 lbs!). dig it. you can also go direct to the board from it.

If I am playing my chambered 150 i use it over the Acoustic Image. For the money it is a terrific amp. you can play jazz, rock, funk, pretty much anyhting with it. I was always a tube snob, but recently have come to appreciate hybrids and solid state more for reliability, portability, and straight ahead jazz-clean playing.

Archived