Heritage Owners Club

I need a volume boost pedal for soloing

big bob

I wish it was as easy as that, but so many people just wanna rock out and blast stuff. of course also it seems that in a lot of live gigs there is a steady supply of beer infused into the band, which results in louder volumes.

one of the reasons I have trouble staying in a band is because I think like a producer. I think of the "sound" of the band as something that is important. Like, "how do we sound at the bar". I HATE HATE HATE bands that are so loud that you can't hear your self think. I'd much rather have a band that sounds good and has a nice controlled volume than a balls to the wall loud band.

I'm glad you wrote this, as I often feel like I'm the only one in my bands, who is thinking/listening to the volume of the entire band, and their tone. I feel like people are only concentrating on their own part, instead of the sound of the whole band, and their part in it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish it was as easy as that, but so many people just wanna rock out and blast stuff. of course also it seems that in a lot of live gigs there is a steady supply of beer infused into the band, which results in louder volumes.

one of the reasons I have trouble staying in a band is because I think like a producer. I think of the "sound" of the band as something that is important. Like, "how do we sound at the bar". I HATE HATE HATE bands that are so loud that you can't hear your self think. I'd much rather have a band that sounds good and has a nice controlled volume than a balls to the wall loud band.

I completely agree. When we played friday night there was almost no one in the bar when we soundchecked. We played one song and it seemed a little too loud and ringy to me so I went to the bartender after that first song and asked him what it sounded like. He said, a little too loud right now I cant hear people order drinks, but you guys should be fine when you sart playing. About an hour later when we did start there were enough people there that it had dampened us, and everything sounded great the rest of the night.

Outside with our little PA it's not a problem at all, our bass player has a massive rig but he doesn't get any louder than us, and he is the only person with a rig big enough to be loud outside.

With my last band we always had volume problems, it was just too many inexperienced people in the band.

I think the easiest and most elegant solution is that of having a 2-channel amp, clean on one, lead sound on the other, one button to push, no worries about anything else.

My amp, DSL 401 has a not so great clean channel, an ok OD1, and a killer OD2 ... I love the tone of the OD2, which cannot be had from the od1. I would like to play in OD2 with a volume Boost for solo. I don't want to change the tone.. Thus if I set my amp so I'm playing with the guitar volume on 2 and turn it up to 10 for the solo, the tone is changed. worse I like the tone with the guitar on about 7 so turning up to 10 just makes more fuzz not more volume.

I know you're not a strat player, but to give you and idea of what a distortation/overdirve pedal can do when used as a boost pedal, take a look at this comparison site I found a couple years ago...

http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortionoverdrive-pedal-shootout/the-od-pedal-comparinator/

Maybe this will help....

Good suggestions in this thread! You got me thinking about clean boost pedals and I tried a little experiment with surprising results.

Last night I pulled out a rarely used Boss Deluxe Reverb pedal and used it as a clean boost in front of an old Champ II. Wow! For the first time, that little pedal sounded really great! I had long since stopped using it as a reverb/vibrato pedal (after getting a really sweet sounding Holy Grail Reverb), but as a clean boost pedal, the Boss DR soars. Maybe I won't sell it after all!! :icon_smile:

As a purely " Old School " guy, I had an E/H LPB 1 that I used with Fender tube amps and it worked great. I reversed the jack so that the male end went into my guitar,and the female end accepted the inst. cable. There was a simple on/off switch, and a pot for gain. The settings on the guitar would be rolled back just a tad, and the amp's volume controlled from the LPB. When you roll the volume pots up on the guitar, the LPB will start to overdrive,and eventually come to mild distortion,lots of drive and gain,and beyond that,Hello Boogie!

Archived