Heritage Owners Club

I need a volume boost pedal for soloing

big bob

Ok, so I'm getting tired of the band saying turn it up when I take a solo. what is a good pedal for knocking up the volume but not changing the tone. or a good pedal for knocking up the volume and maybe adding some crunch/distortion but not much..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Volume pedal?

At the end of the chain I used to use a Boss GE-7 with a slight mid bump and level boost.

Works in the loop as well.

What other stomps are you using and in what order?

I use a cry baby sometimes, but generally just straight through the marshall dsl 401 amp volume about 6 guitar at 10..

Dont know what level you have your gain set at, but if you use a fair bit then sometimes something in the front doesnt increase volume but just adds more gain and the only way to achieve a volume boost is to run "something like" the GE-7 in the loop after what ever else is in there.

(feel free to put comma's and full stops in that sentence if need be)

Dont know what level you have your gain set at, but if you use a fair bit then sometimes something in the front doesnt increase volume but just adds more gain and the only way to achieve a volume boost is to run "something like" the GE-7 in the loop after what ever else is in there.

(feel free to put comma's and full stops in that sentence if need be)

gain at about 6/7 so yes fairly high. I really like the tone the amp delivers.. but would love a volume pop..

There are many OD pedals out there that are often used as a clean boost, in other words, they have a seperate volume, tone, and gain controls. A pedal like that with the gain down and volume up should work. Adjust the tone to get it close as possible to a clean tone as you can get.

If you go through the loop it means another two leads and maybe power source(hum/loop) to set up. Volume pedal in front should work. Set the amp to your solo level and then back off the volume pedal for rhythm.

There are other ways around it. I just like adding mids ( lower and upper) on the solo sound. Sometimes the mid frequency boost gets you above the other instruments without a big volume boost. Also smooths and fattens the sound.

There are many OD pedals out there that are often used as a clean boost, in other words, they have a seperate volume, tone, and gain controls. A pedal like that with the gain down and volume up should work. Adjust the tone to get it close as possible to a clean tone as you can get.

I had the DSL50 and after a certain point any preamp before the amps preamp just added gain. Nice as it was it never solved the problem of a solo boost. Same as my Mesa, Koch and Egnater. I had to have something after the preamp. (Or a volume pedal in front maybe).(or in the loop)

The problem I had with high gain and a volume pedal in front was balancing the lead and rhythm sound. I would dial it in to sound good for rhythm and the 3-6db vol boost would sometimes bring out something I didnt like in the lead, or, it was the other way around.

I found by placing something in the loop with either a parametric or graphic eq I had better control over both lead and rhythm sounds.

Maybe it was hitting the power amp harder rather than the preamp kept some clarity while adding a bit more grind and thunk rather than the less defined and more saturated effect of slamming the preamp harder.

need to hear what others do.

I had the DSL50 and after a certain point any preamp before the amps preamp just added gain. Nice as it was it never solved the problem of a solo boost. Same as my Mesa, Koch and Egnater. I had to have something after the preamp. (Or a volume pedal in front maybe).(or in the loop)

The problem I had with high gain and a volume pedal in front was balancing the lead and rhythm sound. I would dial it in to sound good for rhythm and the 3-6db vol boost would sometimes bring out something I didnt like in the lead, or, it was the other way around.

I found by placing something in the loop with either a parametric or graphic eq I had better control over both lead and rhythm sounds.

Maybe it was hitting the power amp harder rather than the preamp kept some clarity while adding a bit more grind and thunk rather than the less defined and more saturated effect of slamming the preamp harder.

need to hear what others do.

Guess it depends on the type of amp you're using. Since I'm using a Deluxe Reverb type amp, I rely on it being a clean amp and all my gain/dirt coming from a pedal....

Set the amp to your solo level and then back off the volume pedal for rhythm.

I'm learning to work with the volume pot - set the amp high with overdrive, back way off for clean, bump up for crunch, increase more for lead sound. I also use pedals. My boost pedal is the Freekish Blues Alpha drive - and for high gain I use Wampler Super Plextortion.

For boost, though, a lot of guys seem to like the OCD (cleans up real well). And how about the old-fashioned but still functional TS808(?).

Take a look in the "Show your pedal board" thread in this section, and get ideas there.

I'm learning to work with the volume pot - set the amp high with overdrive, back way off for clean, bump up for crunch, increase more for lead sound. I also use pedals. My boost pedal is the Freekish Blues Alpha drive - and for high gain I use Wampler Super Plextortion.

For boost, though, a lot of guys seem to like the OCD (cleans up real well). And how about the old-fashioned but still functional TS808(?).

Take a look in the "Show your pedal board" thread in this section, and get ideas there.

Ok, I set the volume for solo and then back off for rhythm. however after I set my level/while we are playing everyone else pumps up the volume .. then I'm out of luck!

Ok, I set the volume for solo and then back off for rhythm. however after I set my level/while we are playing everyone else pumps up the volume .. then I'm out of luck!

Set vol mix using rhythm w/guitar on 5 or 6, leaving 10 on guitar for solo. Boost amp vol as needed to keep rhythm vol right.

And/or - a Bad Monkey with level and bass at 1 o'clock, treble at noon, gain at 9 o'clock (low). Nice boost with a bit of hair.

Do you use both channels when you are playing? Set one up for rhythm, and the other for lead with drive and extra volume. Then just punch the button!

It might help to have extra speakers to move more air. I added a 2x12 cab and it seems to help, especially adding bottom to the DSL. Mine was just an lowly open back Carvin with BR-12 speakers. $150 at Music Go Round.

I know hat your talking about I've been there. I think everyone is trying to help but missing the type of amp your using, except Tully. In the situation your in with your setup, any boost pedal is just going to add dirt, maybe more volume, but definately more crunch.

I personally don't like volume pedals but that might be the ticket for you, you would essentially be doing the same thing as starting with your guitar volume turned down but with the pedal. If you start with the guitar volume down a little and the pedal down a little then you got two volumes to crank just in case.

This setup might take a lot of the life out of your tone though. An active volume would essentially just be a boost and just add more gain as well so that wouldn't help much.

If you can figure the logistics of running a boost after the preamp I use a MXR Micro Amp, it works well for me, isn't all that expensive, and will add clean volume without changing your tone.

Do you use both channels when you are playing? Set one up for rhythm, and the other for lead with drive and extra volume. Then just punch the button!

It might help to have extra speakers to move more air. I added a 2x12 cab and it seems to help, especially adding bottom to the DSL. Mine was just an lowly open back Carvin with BR-12 speakers. $150 at Music Go Round.

This is a good way to go too, I used to use my amp that way.

FWIW, I have a signal processor in my loop that I can control via MIDI and an expression pedal (Rocktron Hex) I have. The processor (Rocktron Prophesy) allows me to set a min and max for the volume range and since the circuit is active electronics, there is no loss or shift in frequency content and the front-end gain remains constant when the pedal is adjusted. Just a change in volume.

EQ or Volume pedal, in the effects loop. If you are running the amp clean (as if someone would run a marshall clean...) then you could put the volume control before the input, but in general they work best in the loop. If you put it before the amp you may just end up with a bunch more sustain/gain, but no appreciable increase in volume.

Some volume pedals come in both instrument level and line level versions. I'd recommend getting one that can work both ways. I think the Morley Lil' alligator is good in the loop, or before.

Of course the other option with a multi-channel amp is to have one channel for rhythm, and one for lead/solos.

bob what kind of amp are you using?

I usually keep a fuzz pedal in case I need to boost it, doesn't work that great for clean though

have heard good things about the OCD

keeping the vol rolled back for general gtr & then turning it up works but takes more getting used to, and is hard tp be consistent

fyi, a volume pedal in the fx loop is replicating the old style master volume. That is: a pot at the end of the preamp, leading into the phase inverter. As for pedals, yes there are a couple of good boost pedals out there and they give good results even into the front of the amp. Anything Wampler is good, OCD is good, but you'll want to hear these things at home first. Wampler has a return policy I believe. Find a boost that you can leave "on", and use the guitar volume knob to gain up. One thing there is to get a guitar volume pot with a bright cap on it (very easy mod). But don't use the typical higher value caps, go with something modest, and you can roll in/out all day with no objectionable high-end roll-off. There's a lot going on with guitars and amps, so be patient and stick to basics.

fyi, a volume pedal in the fx loop is replicating the old style master volume. That is: a pot at the end of the preamp, leading into the phase inverter. As for pedals, yes there are a couple of good boost pedals out there and they give good results even into the front of the amp. Anything Wampler is good, OCD is good, but you'll want to hear these things at home first. Wampler has a return policy I believe. Find a boost that you can leave "on", and use the guitar volume knob to gain up. One thing there is to get a guitar volume pot with a bright cap on it (very easy mod). But don't use the typical higher value caps, go with something modest, and you can roll in/out all day with no objectionable high-end roll-off. There's a lot going on with guitars and amps, so be patient and stick to basics.

this was an interesting read, because I've been wanting to learn how to use both vol. pot and leave the boost on all the time. would you then leave the volume around 5/6 and push up to 10 for the lead sound? Can you recommend the name/value of a good cap to get - I might want to go down this road.

Mad a really quick demo to show what I was trying to explain. Dont know if what I was trying to say is relevant to the BB's original post so this will better explain what I was on about.

A volume boost hitting an already overdriven amp doesnt actually give a volume boost it just makes more gain/noise.

Its the same as hitting an already gained up stomp preamp with a volume boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlTRZvef1E

Archived