Heritage Owners Club

New amp

JeffB

Guest HRB853370

I have one, love it, bought it new 12 years ago. I especially like that it has a standby switch which little brother C30 does not, and it is fan cooled too. Good quality, good price, GREAT SOUND!

Guest HRB853370

Back when they were just the "Classic", they were tremendous amps. Guess the C50 would still be. Begs the question ... why? Not knocking PV, just asking why YOU got another amp.

Because his Brugera quit on him thats why!!!

recently Ive been practicing with an alt country type band to fill in for their guitar player while he's away. Ive been using his Classic 50 at their rehearsal space. Developed a bit of an appreciation for it. Theres a certain point at a comfortable volume where this amp just opens right up. Either side its either a bit sterile or a bit peaky in some way depending on which side. But right in the middle its quite a thick warm sound. Maybe a little dark or brassy or something I cant quite define.

The gain channel works perfectly in a crunchy warm classic rock kind of way with what they do. I struggle with finding gain sounds most of the time because Im pretty sure I dont like od that much so I dont have a good ear for it. But the PV just seems to have the right sound or a sound that I think will work well with other stuff I do.

Actually Im pretty lost at the moment for hearing what I want to hear so this could just be another foolish whim and complete mistake.

Im sitting here looking at the amps I have and feel a lttle overwhelmed by them because none of them really do what I want them to do. Im pretty sure they all sound pretty good and if Im using them at a gig or jam I dont even think about it. Turn up and go. But when Im at home playing through them they never sound what I imagine them to and I start pondering "what if" and "maybe I should get"

@Kenny: Thanks for that unsettling question and the introspective pondering it caused. ;)

Tully, I truly can relate to your a) Peavey purchase, and B) The 'another amp' conundrum.

My recommendation is to just roll with it and enjoy them all. Amps each have something different to offer. And at home the more powerful amps are too restricted to give up their goods. But since you are playing in a band, you have the opportunity to switch amps at your liesure. Crank that PV up at rehersal this week, then next week crank up your Fender Concert. If you get bored, then drop another speaker into one of your amps to get something new from an old friend. Congrats on scoring a great 50 watt amp, my friend!

@Kenny: Thanks for that unsettling question and the introspective pondering it caused. ;)

Just trying to help. And yeah, all my amps sound like crap .... no they don't ... oh yeah they do ... no wait!

Just trying to help. And yeah, all my amps sound like crap .... no they don't ... oh yeah they do ... no wait!

But when Im at home playing through them they never sound what I imagine them to and I start pondering "what if" and "maybe I should get"

:lol_mini:

awww, man, that's it exaclty.

sounds like fun tully, enjoy the PV.

i think i mentioned a while back I stumbled upon an old PV 212 cab with Scorpions in it. Knew nothing but that I needed a cab for my Little Lanilei, and the price was right, and the cones seemed intact. Holy crap. Cab is built like a tank and loud as hell. PV seems like such a great "secret". All I've seen heard and experienced with the 80's vintage guitars and gear, and the Classic series amps has been nothing but positive.

Peavey Classic 50 212 combo.

Dude I had one of those years ago..Best amp I ever owned!! It's the reason i have a Classic 30 now..the only reason I sold the 50 was i have weak back..the guy I sold the 50 to still has it ten years later!! Rock it BRO!! Plus Great sounding real spring reverb!!

:lol_mini:

awww, man, that's it exaclty.

sounds like fun tully, enjoy the PV.

i think i mentioned a while back I stumbled upon an old PV 212 cab with Scorpions in it. Knew nothing but that I needed a cab for my Little Lanilei, and the price was right, and the cones seemed intact. Holy crap. Cab is built like a tank and loud as hell. PV seems like such a great "secret". All I've seen heard and experienced with the 80's vintage guitars and gear, and the Classic series amps has been nothing but positive.

Valveking series has some great tone, but those are the only ones I know of that have quality issues.

Valveking series has some great tone, but those are the only ones I know of that have quality issues.

As you may know, I had a Peavey Valveking 212 in the '70s (yeah, we know - you weren't born yet) - 2 channels, 100 watts, one set clean, the other was my high gain/or crunch sound - it was lovely. No quality issues whatsover - I kept it for, 12 yrs, never even changed a tube - nothing happened to it. Only complaint was a little rattle. Pretty good tone. I say, there's nothing like have a 2-12 cab - everything just opens up. I can't believe I carried that sucker!

As you may know, I had a Peavey Valveking 212 in the '70s (yeah, we know - you weren't born yet) - 2 channels, 100 watts, one set clean, the other was my high gain/or crunch sound - it was lovely. No quality issues whatsover - I kept it for, 12 yrs, never even changed a tube - nothing happened to it. Only complaint was a little rattle. Pretty good tone. I say, there's nothing like have a 2-12 cab - everything just opens up. I can't believe I carried that sucker!

Katy,

I don't think the Valveking's have been around for more than a few years; Could yours have been a different model?

Oh, and H, she's a very sweet, kind woman. Just don't #@$^% with her!! :icon_salut::laughing9:

Archived