Heritage Owners Club

Need complementary speaker ideas

barrymclark

Ok, after a lot of research, the Starlite combo (40w in push/pull) that Brian (KBP810) is designing and building for me has the Eminence Patriot Red White and Blues speaker (120w, 101db, 1.75" voice coil, 38oz magnet).

I am looking for a good complement speaker to put in an extension cab. Since that combo speaker will be pretty clean, I am thinking maybe a speaker that will hold its own volume wise but break up early. Add some level of growl.

There's the Black Mountain in the same series from Eminence but WHOOOO is that expensive!

Maybe a Celestion Vintage 30? Also looking through some Weber speakers for what they might have.

Any thoughts?

I generally take a cab that has 2 V30's. At quieter volume levels the v30's really annoy me and louder I really like them.

I tend to use a cab with a G12k and a G12m at home as it has less of that upper mid spike that can also get a bit fizzy and fatiguing on the v30 at quieter volumes.

I generally take a cab that has 2 V30's. At quieter volume levels the v30's really annoy me and louder I really like them.

I tend to use a cab with a G12k and a G12m at home as it has less of that upper mid spike that can also get a bit fizzy and fatiguing on the v30 at quieter volumes.

With you there. I only like Vintage thirties pushed. Granted, that would probably be the case more often than not here, but I am hoping to find a speaker that does the same sort of thing at loud volumes as the Vintage 30 but also at least sound good at low volumes.

I've got a JBL M series in my amp. Really like it. It responds well, has shimmer to the highs,lots of mid punch and smooth lows. I can almost get an accoustic sound on the highs in rhythm passages.

I've got a JBL M series in my amp. Really like it. It responds well, has shimmer to the highs,lots of mid punch and smooth lows. I can almost get an accoustic sound on the highs in rhythm passages.

Particularly looking for something that growls up nicely.

Sounds like you leaving the cabinet out of the equation, which will make all the difference in the world in what you hear. A speaker may be capable of producing a certain spectrum characteristic, but that spectrum will be complemented, balanced, or negated depending on its enclosure.

Sounds like you leaving the cabinet out of the equation, which will make all the difference in the world in what you hear. A speaker may be capable of producing a certain spectrum characteristic, but that spectrum will be complemented, balanced, or negated depending on its enclosure.

Actually not at all. ;) Just didn't mention it. Just getting information here. :)

FWIW, don't expect huge success in your speaker/cab thang on the very first try. Be persistent, patient, and expect to spend some $$. Might have to do some horse trading for cabs as well as speakers to get a general idea on what works with this new amp. What you hear from others might not work as well as trusting your own ears.

Brian does this and I think its a great idea... Try using one ceramic magnet and one alnico magnet speaker....

Actually that was one of the combo's I was thinking of. That being the Canis Major (alnico) in the combo and the Private Jack (ceramic) in the extension cabinet.

The one real difference here that is a little bit of concern is that the Canis Major is 102db compared to the Private Jack's 101db. Really wish they were more on par here but that isn't horribly bad and the attention here would be to the speaker that I'd want it to go to. The only problem is the Canis Major is FREAK show expensive.

FWIW, don't expect huge success in your speaker/cab thang on the very first try. Be persistent, patient, and expect to spend some $$. Might have to do some horse trading for cabs as well as speakers to get a general idea on what works with this new amp. What you hear from others might not work as well as trusting your own ears.

oh, believe me, I know. I have a whole other thread about that! haha

It's only money.... I have an Eminence Wizard and Red Fang in a 2x12 cab, powered by a 30 watt, EL34 head. Sound really fine together!!!

Not saying it will change my mind. I was just trying to find a cheap way out. ...and as mentioned... I may still yet unless I just get dayum lucky and hit the nail on the head with first try.

If I am unhappy with the speaker(s), I will try to sell it off to help fund another(others).

you might want to make sure the new speaker matches the sensitivity/loudness of the one in the combo

which is 101db based on your notes?

otherwise one speaker will sound much louder than the other...which I guess could be desireable

I'm a fan of private jacks...the red fang is the same design but with alnico instead of ceramic, I like them a lot too

Weber make top quality stuff but the naming conventions are a bit confusing to figure out. I believe he was consulted by Eminence when they did their new speaker line. which could explain why they sound so good

you might want to make sure the new speaker matches the sensitivity/loudness of the one in the combo

which is 101db based on your notes?

otherwise one speaker will sound much louder than the other...which I guess could be desireable

I'm a fan of private jacks...the red fang is the same design but with alnico instead of ceramic, I like them a lot too

Weber make top quality stuff but the naming conventions are a bit confusing to figure out. I believe he was consulted by Eminence when they did their new speaker line. which could explain why they sound so good

The difference in the two speaker's sensitivity is 1db with favor given to the Canis Major in the combo which is what I'd want if indeed its perceived volume is louder than the Private Jack. I looked at the Red Fang. I believe that one is 103db. The concern, spec wise and real life may prove different, is the Red Fang would over power the Canis Major. Of course... you could argue with it being on the floor and the Canis Major raised that they may balance out. haha.

Anyways, I just thought the specs of the Canis Major and Private Jack would be nice and complimentary. Of course... I maybe just get a Red Fang and A/B them to see which I prefer.

The Red Fang would basically raise the price of the Starlite mini-stack by $200. haha. Just like the Canis Major did.

What I am trying to acheive is I want that smokey, old vintage jazz sound like I like with the extension cab adding some nice broken up color and not a balance or the other way around.

hey is the ext cab open or closed back?

Both the combo and extension will be open back as it stands and made of 9-ply (minimum) birch.

Archived