Heritage Owners Club

H150 or H157 SOLID Mahogany? Anyone Heard of One?

Gitfiddler

One of my all time favoite LP Customs was a solid Mahogany Black Beauty. NO Maple cap. 100% Mahogany in all of its (heavy) glory. It is long gone now, but I'll never forget the rich tones of that wood.

1. Do any of you fine folks know if Heritage ever built either a 150 or 157 solid Mahogany guitar?

2. Would you like one? (Why/Why Not?)

The original 140's were solid Mahogany.... I rather like the new faded cherry or brown LP's because they are also all mahogany... Two piece back, and solid mahogany carved top. Those are the only Gibson's worth buying if you intend to refinish them.... If I had the know-how, I'd put binding on the body and neck and refinish the top in a Goldtop....

I'd love a black 157 in solid mahagony :)

that's also how they made the custom's in the '50's

I think that would be a great feature to differentiate the 157 vs 150....otherwise it's basically the same gtr with more binding

I'd love a black 157 in solid mahagony :)

that's also how they made the custom's in the '50's

I think that would be a great feature to differentiate the 157 vs 150....otherwise it's basically the same gtr with more binding

And inlays, wooden pick gaurds,speed knobs, gold hardware, inlayed logo,ebony frett board, ect, ect. 157's have quite a few upgrades from a 150 than just the binding.

I like the idea. It would most likely be a bit darker tone wise. How about a flamed mahogany top??????????Oh my!

I have a Gibson version of a 157. All Mahogany with an Ebony FB. It's a pretty bright guitar, more so than its cousin with a Maple cap and Rosewood FB. Whodathunkit?

I have a Gibson version of a 157. All Mahogany with an Ebony FB. It's a pretty bright guitar, more so than its cousin with a Maple cap and Rosewood FB. Whodathunkit?

My old Mahogany BB R7 Custom was also a bright, but rich sounding guitar. Maybe it was the density of the Mahogany, or the 11 lb+ mass, but it really had great tone! I sold it due to the weight. Too much on my shoulder and back.

Now if Heritage could assure me of a light weight solid Mahogany 150 or 157...Hmmm... :icon_scratch:

i spec'd out such a 157, incl. detailed description of neck profile. dealer & i got on the horn w/K'zoo and worked it all out. i dunno, maybe it was the bit about "unusually light & resonant" wood, but we never heard back from them. it might also have been due to biz probs at the time ('06? '07?).

so, after a year or so, same dealer got a '98 R7 in on consignment. this was the first guitar i'd found that beat out my old '68 Custom, so i grabbed it. new hardware and WCR p'ups later & i had the LP i'd been looking for for >35 yrs. in the high 9-lb range & balanced so nicely it feels lighter. wudda nice guit.

still, woulda loved to try the Heritage take on it...

i spec'd out such a 157, incl. detailed description of neck profile. dealer & i got on the horn w/K'zoo and worked it all out. i dunno, maybe it was the bit about "unusually light & resonant" wood, but we never heard back from them. it might also have been due to biz probs at the time ('06? '07?).

so, after a year or so, same dealer got a '98 R7 in on consignment. this was the first guitar i'd found that beat out my old '68 Custom, so i grabbed it. new hardware and WCR p'ups later & i had the LP i'd been looking for for >35 yrs. in the high 9-lb range & balanced so nicely it feels lighter. wudda nice guit.

still, woulda loved to try the Heritage take on it...

An R7 would be hard for any guitar company to top or even compete with. Congrats on that one!

An R7 would be hard for any guitar company to top or even compete with. Congrats on that one!

yeahman

interesting to note that Gruhn has a couple of '55s ($30-40K) and each weighs 10 lbs 14 oz...no Bigsbys...

Totonka~150 M?? Never heard of that model. Leave it to Heritage to have something like that coming out of the closet!

That is magnificent...but need to see more of it and read your review...please. :icon_smile:

If that's a 150, it must be either a special or a much older 140. No binding on the fretboard, dot inlays, and Gibson PG looks sort of like an early 140.

Here is a picture of the label in the control cavity:

CTCavity%2520Plate.jpg

I don't know how this guitar looked when it came from the factory in 1993 ( "J" s/n). But it does appear that the pick guard is not original, as there is another screw hole in the binding.

As for the tone report, unfortunately, I'm not too qualified to give you one (only been playing about 3 years), I love playing (trying to play) this guitar. It feels right. But here is a video of the guy who sold it to me playing it:

And inlays, wooden pick gaurds,speed knobs, gold hardware, inlayed logo,ebony frett board, ect, ect. 157's have quite a few upgrades from a 150 than just the binding.

yes but that's mostly bling....but as far as affecting the sound it's only the ebony fretboard that makes a difference

an all mahagony 150/157 would be a great addition to their lineup

I actually ordered one this summer, hopefully it's done soon!!

I had an R7 black beauty for a couple years, it was a fantastic guitar

it was full mahogany as well...I guess that's where I got the bug :)

regret selling it but I'm a Heritage fan now, hopefully this one fills it's shoes

Ironically, the very cheapest Lesters (the Studio Faded models) are solid mahogany, albeit multi-piece top and bottom.

And I rather believe those are some of the best LP's for the money. If you can get yourself past the looks and go for the tone that is...

Archived