Heritage Owners Club

Why keep reinventing the wheel?

the jayce

I think for Heritage to deviate away from what THEY do best, would be a big gamble. I'm with Kuz in that respect all the way. If I wanted a unique guitar, I would have it custom built, and leave me Heritage's alone.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess what I don't get in this... although I am guilty of this too... why would any of us want them to be anything different than what they are? Sorta like asking your friend or spouse to be something they aren't. Kinda makes you re-evaluate your part in the relationship.

I half-agree with this. However, I think (much like a relationship, if we use that analogy) things can evolve and there is some give & take between parties (friends, spouse, businesses & their consumers, etc.).

I am not sure I want Heritage to be something they are not. I would not be opposed to them maintaining the stable of flagship models while also offering a few other styles or options. I'm always cheerleading for blended heels and ergonomic considerations. I would LOVE an H-150 with this style of heel from Myka and a belly cut:

45.jpg

Maybe they would already offer that, maybe not. It would still look classic from the front but have some nicely evolved features. Myka guitars are supposedly great, as are the various smaller scale builders doing custom jobs, and if I ever want to pay $5K-$6K to have a full custom job with blended heel, ergonomic contours, all done in the LP-style it is probably justifiable when you look at what goes into the design and extra work to do it. That is what it would cost. In that realm, while a bit pricey for me maybe Heritage would offer to do the same or similar, just for most the price might jump outside their comfort zone until/unless those features became standard.

I really enjoy their takes on the classics. I also like some of the original things they have done like the Stat and the H-170, their set-neck Tele-style, not to mention the Prospect. :love9: The fact they have their originals sort of inspires me that they are NOT just reinventing the wheel.

Even though there are some non-standard things I would love to see, I am not sure I am representative of the market so unless I call and walk them through a custom build (or somebody else happens to), there is much more risk than their is upside. Just look at Gibson. As much as we lambast the Firebird X, and to some extent rightfully so, it was them taking a chance with something new. It was a risk, and there were some pretty predictable reasons for it to fail, I do kind of admire the decision to try something new.

That said, those things rarely work out right off the bat, if at all. The Explorer and Flying V were initially failures, only to later find success. The Moderne was a flop although it has found a bit of a cult following and has had a reissue or two. I kind of had to face it, the "wheel" is what most people want. The stuff I think would be an upgrade does not necessarily appeal to everybody else. Since that makes me (and those like me) the minority, for a business catering to those desires, which are in reality fairly small on the scale of must-haves, is risky if not counter-productive in most instances. Plus, if I know what Heritage is all about going into it, I think it is fair to expect them to produce what they have been doing for a long time, and if I want something else either ask (realizing they are justified in saying no if it is not who they are) or going with somebody else for that particular demand. There is nothing wrong with going to Heritage for the models they have that appeal to you, and somebody else for what they may not offer or feel comfortable doing.

since the boys at Heritage were there at the inception of those classic electric guitar designs, it is an apt name for a company that pays tribute to it's past

[snip]

there will always be a market for the original, classic gtr designs that shaped popular music

[snip]

compare to the stradivarius violin, or dreadnaught guitar, or houser classical guitar: these are all base designs that have a commonality, but different builders add their own flavour

There will always be a market for the classic/original guitar designs, sure. That seems to be the case.

Here is my problem with that. The Stratocaster. Or rather, the philosophy behind it, and the man behind that.

The Stratocaster was pretty radical in a few ways. It was, and still kind of is, a much more modern instrument than Gibson's designs. It was painted like a Corvette, had a functional pickguard that concealed the wiring, ergonomics that were VERY smartly done, a double-cut design that is incredibly functional, readily-available woods, and an easy-to-replicate design ideally suited for mass production. In short, it was a well thought out design, incredibly so, that would not be there if Leo had just been content to stick with the designs out there. While I love the Les Paul, it was pretty much just a miniaturized solid-body version of their archtops. In fact, even within the general shapes of the Stratocaster and Telecaster, Leo went on to do some pretty cool things with Fender and with G&L. The Strat became a classic because he did not just reinvent the wheel and stretched out a bit. While they did not all take off, some of what he did with those basic designs at G&L are pretty ingenious and there are some relatively unappreciated gems at G&L. Then look at what Myka or McInturff or Larrivee or Suhr or Anderson or Parker or Hamer or Carvin are doing with what are basically variants of the same ideas. You can see their inspiration, however they have definitely done things that are not only new. They have done things that improve upon the ideas and work better for at least some players, preferences, and needs.

I am fine with the basic guitar shapes. If manufacturers largely stick with the single- and double-cut variants of the archtop/LP, Strat, and Tele shapes because they just happen to fit the function and ergonomics of the human body, plus the occasional geometric shapes like the triangular/V/X/Explorer/ellipse/Firebird/Moderne or other futuristic shapes that exist, I am fine with that. However, it would be kind of sad if builders and companies did not try new things or at least be open to new ideas that came up and made sense.

that's a good point

one recent mfr to come up with an appealing new design is PRS..it's different & unique but it's "safe"

unlike the steinberger, which kind of disappeared but is also a great design

I often wonder though, without Santana & to a smaller extent Mesa as an endorser, would PRS have taken off? this would have been late '80's/early '90's, before the modern metal guys started using them with mesa's etc

what if Jack White used a Steinberger?

ppl need a gtr to be validated by someone of stature before we give it credibility....or just want to be associated with them to get credibility, by using the same gtr

after all the pics here, you can't say Heritage hasn't tried coming up with original designs!!

Contrary to some posts in this thread, the H-170 is not an original Heritage design.

There was a Gibson with a banana headstock with that same body design in the early eighties. If I can find some pics I'll post them.

.. and on the other hand here's one I wouldn't like to get a hold of !

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

That is awsome and i would love to have one! Ive been buggin the boys down at heritage to make a custom one for me. They cant all be lp's.................................................................................................... :icon_salut:

Contrary to some posts in this thread, the H-170 is not an original Heritage design.

There was a Gibson with a banana headstock with that same body design in the early eighties. If I can find some pics I'll post them.

yep the 170 is not an heritage design it's a gibby. some double cutaway gibby built in the 60's if i remember right.

H170_banana.jpg

I think of Heritage as a better offering of jazz arch tops, semi hollows and LP style guitars. No need to reinvent the wheel with those guitars. If players seek alternative type guitars, then there are a vast amount of "innovators" in the business to choose from. Heritage doesn't do shredder type guitars real well. I doubt that they want to. Just give me a great 575, GE, or SE, a great 535 or a great 150. Throw in the occasional 357, Sweet 16. There's really nothing else a Heritage fan would need. If so, find it else where.

I like the retro cool designs of J. Backlund Guitars.

http://www.jbacklund.com/gallery.html

tumblr_lwa3jj0vlU1ql0nbyo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1325218490&Signature=1BMB0gThnVy4bEK6yo4jabbbAOU%3D

Yep, I love that guitar too..... I just don't think Heritage needs to make this style of guitar. There are so many great builders out there, just produce what you are the best at producing.

Yep, I love that guitar too..... I just don't think Heritage needs to make this style of guitar. There are so many great builders out there, just produce what you are the best at producing.

Cant quite agree on that kuz. That guitar would be perfect if only it said heritage on the headstock. I think they should stay thier course but dabble in some concepts. Companys should always at least try new ideas, thats just business basics 101. The ones that dont always try to play catch up when the next big new idea arrives. would like to see heritage be the pioneers of that idea.

Archived