Heritage Owners Club

Why keep reinventing the wheel?

the jayce

Jayce, I think the problem I have with your comments/arguments is that you are unaware of HOW MANY new models Heritage has tried in the past. Maybe look for retired models from Heritage catalogs. The Heritage 110 has been out there for years and you didn't know that.

It's all about supply and demand. People want 150/157s, 535/555s, Golden Eagles/575s/Sweet 16s...... they don't want the Stats, shredders, and the blue can opener!! Heritage, unlike Gibson can't afford to spend the time or money on things people don't want. And look what is selling for Gibson, it's not the robot guitar or the new explorer, its the LPs & 335s.

Analogy: I'll take a GREAT Steak house with only 3 different types of steaks on the menu, over a Golden Corral buffet any day!!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HRB853370

This is one man's opinion, but I bought my 535 for several reasons..First off it is a much better quality than the G-brand 335..Secondly, it was much more affordable, (About 60-70 percent of the cost for the Gibby) and third,I just thought it was cool as hell it was actually made in the factory, where Oriville, Seth Lover and Ted McCarty came up with the classic designs..As always YMMV..When we tour that place every year, the history is palpable..

YMMV???????

Hey blueox , do you have any idea what these where prced at. I couldnt find any price info. I like it's originality for sure.

PM sent.

Timing and marketing. The Prospect came out in 1991. Now the 339/ 339/359 have become popular with the "335 is kind of large, who makes someting smaller?".

Lots of smaller semi's on the market. The Millie came out in 2000. Who can say they will not be "the next big thing in 2015-20? Anyone make something like a 525?

I would have a better chance of convincing my father he is wrong about somthing( which will never happen) than to convince most in this forum they are wrong in being so unreceptive to anyything new. Hey if all want nothing new to come out of parsons doors im fine with that, but i do!, as im sure im not the only one. many wouldnt dare speak of such a thing as they may be afraid of being rail roaded right off the site. Me however am not afraid to speak my thoughts as most of you are not either. Somtimes folks just have to agree to disagree.

99% here dont want anything to ever change at parsons, and some of us would like to see a little more creativity and ambition toward innovation come out the parsons door. No ones 100% right on either side.

jayce, have you got any specific ideas of designs you would like to see developed by Heritage? Every time I try to imagine something new, I flash back to all the current models and some no longer produced models I would love to have first. I am either content or lack imagination, maybe both.

Limited runs of "out of production" models might be a solution in some cases. The patterns and jigs are still there.

Yes. Although some models are definitely of their time and theres probably no real market for them now others would sell reasonably if produced in limited runs.

a Heritage telecaster sort of idea would be cool

Never happen. Not again. That body style and the STAT, were one time deals. The forms and design were "loaned" to Heritage during a litigious episode with a certain big name builder. Once that was settled the boys said they'd never use those body styles again. Out of respect for the company that supported them during that time.

.... vague enough with enough innuendo to get the drift?

I don't know why Heritage would want to look at Teles and Strats again. There are SO many builders out there doing them. Why try to compete with 50 other small builders doing the same thing?

Personally, I think they really like doing the arch type and semihollow body stuff. 150s might be their bread and butter among most people, but crafting a good archtop is something special.

Wouldn't that be reinventing the wheel? (hang on, I read that phrase somewhere earlier today...)

Personally, I think they really like doing the arch type and semihollow body stuff. 150s might be their bread and butter among most people, but crafting a good archtop is something special.

It's what they do....

There are some unique guitars out there....

Uli John Roths Skyguitar

uli6.jpg

The Steinberger (lots of artists used those)

l2full.jpg

The only problem for me is that I wouldn't necessarily want to buy either one... just not my style. Call me a traditionalist. That's not to say they aren't good instruments, and very well thought out.

Maybe there's a reason why certain instruments have lasted. Functionally, LP, 335, Strat and Tele styles are very good instruments with distinctive sounds. Why do organists continue to buy Hammond B3s and their clones? Because they like the sound!

bingo!! Cows may come, Cows may go.. :icon_salut:

I actually have played a few Steinbergers and really liked the tone, and stability..But the lack of a headstock always threw me..My hand alway went too far when I was sliding down to the open position chords..Yeah, I'm an old Stick in the mud..LOL

Ok here goes..this is one man's opinion here but, I really think there are really limited design possibilities as far as guitars go..for me, it's always been about the tone, not how the guitar looks..I don't have the least bit of interest in playing a guitar that looks like the scroll guitar that Prince has..If he likes it great but as for me just give me a beat up Tele or 535 and a nice tube amp..Tone 2 da bone baby..YMMV..

I don't know why Heritage would want to look at Teles and Strats again. There are SO many builders out there doing them. Why try to compete with 50 other small builders doing the same thing?

Points well taken.

that's true....

plus they *did* do a lot of experimenting during the '90's with new designs; if any of those had caught on they would still be making them today

since the boys at Heritage were there at the inception of those classic electric guitar designs, it is an apt name for a company that pays tribute to it's past

there will always be a market for the original, classic gtr designs that shaped popular music

compare to the stradivarius violin, or dreadnaught guitar, or houser classical guitar: these are all base designs that have a commonality, but different builders add their own flavour

*edit* I agree that a hollowbody is probably the most challenging electric guitar to build....so if Heritage has that nailed, anything else is pretty straightforward in comparison

Archived