Heritage Owners Club

Why keep reinventing the wheel?

the jayce

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ASAT is a Leo Fender guitar from his last company (G&L). That is sort of the inverse of Heritage, the real thing (Leo and George) sold the original company (and Leo's last name) and moved on.

Unfortunately, Orville wasn't able to start another company, so Jim, Marv, Ren, JP and Bill had to do it without him!

What Heritage make is THEIR business model. They could spend and waste a lot of money on development of guitars that may or may not sell. We are in a horrendous world recession and production from North America and Europe of almost everything has gone to China. In Heritage, we have a company which has found a niche market and is supplying it successfully. In times like this, when cash resources are limited and you have a winning formula that is succeeding for you, you don't change from it. Those who can produce new guitars and models are not always getting the sales as a result.

PRS is a company that produces in my opinion excellent guitars, but their early models are based on Les Paul Specials.The Gibson influence is obvious to me. Many of the other California builders that are making guitars people want are just better and well made strats and in my opinion, the reason that people are buying them is because Fender are not making their own guitars as good as they could for the money. Also, many players want something that is not what every one else has, so these other niche builders find a place in the market.

I have seen and played some of Gibson's latest offerings, and what are they? Very poor down market stripped back models of their more popular guitars, but I wouldn't buy one if they were the only choice available. I am not anti Gibson, I am just using them as an example.

Look at what all we guys are buying here - Heritage guitars as they are - and we are buying them because Heritage are making what we want - their business model. They have their market right for what they want to do. Make something wierd and wacky, Prince will play it on stage, but no one here wants one. If we want a pointy headstock guitar, or what ever else there is, we can go to e bay and buy it.

IMHO, Heritage are doing exactly the right thing just now, sticking to what they know how to do and doing it well. It may not suit every one but it's the right think for them. By the way, I wish I could be one of those who would afford to be in the 20% of buyers who could go and buy a brand new one, maybe one day it will happen. But when it does, it will be a fabulous 150 CM. I am just glad Heritage build for our market, what they make has brought us all here.

What Heritage make is THEIR business model. They could spend and waste a lot of money on development of guitars that may or may not sell. We are in a horrendous world recession and production from North America and Europe of almost everything has gone to China. In Heritage, we have a company which has found a niche market and is supplying it successfully. In times like this, when cash resources are limited and you have a winning formula that is succeeding for you, you don't change from it. Those who can produce new guitars and models are not always getting the sales as a result.

PRS is a company that produces in my opinion excellent guitars, but their early models are based on Les Paul Specials.The Gibson influence is obvious to me. Many of the other California builders that are making guitars people want are just better and well made strats and in my opinion, the reason that people are buying them is because Fender are not making their own guitars as good as they could for the money. Also, many players want something that is not what every one else has, so these other niche builders find a place in the market.

I have seen and played some of Gibson's latest offerings, and what are they? Very poor down market stripped back models of their more popular guitars, but I wouldn't buy one if they were the only choice available. I am not anti Gibson, I am just using them as an example.

Look at what all we guys are buying here - Heritage guitars as they are - and we are buying them because Heritage are making what we want - their business model. They have their market right for what they want to do. Make something wierd and wacky, Prince will play it on stage, but no one here wants one. If we want a pointy headstock guitar, or what ever else there is, we can go to e bay and buy it.

IMHO, Heritage are doing exactly the right thing just now, sticking to what they know how to do and doing it well. It may not suit every one but it's the right think for them. By the way, I wish I could be one of those who would afford to be in the 20% of buyers who could go and buy a brand new one, maybe one day it will happen. But when it does, it will be a fabulous 150 CM. I am just glad Heritage build for our market, what they make has brought us all here.

Well said! One only need look at my sig to see my wish list!

It seems this topic comes around from time to time, sometimes from the usual suspects! No doubt I've said this before, but I'm sympathetic to both "sides": 1) You can't beat the classics for tone, looks, and playability; 2) It's nice to shake up the status quo with a head-turner pulled out of the case. If you look at my guitar roster, you will see examples. There must be high costs in time and money to develop a new guitar without knowing its sales potential. Still, for those wanting something different from Heritage, may I remind you of this model, introduced for 2009:

post-1274-0-11545300-1324265609_thumb.jpg

How many of us own this model? I was rocked by it and had to have one. I spec-ed out a custom version and still love it. For those that want change from Heritage, start with an H-110.

The H110 is an original design but from what I've seen Heritage hasn't sold many. You should check that one out, it's pretty cool.

Right on! You got the word out while I was composing.

I'm at a loss to know what those hankering for novelty want. Obviously the complaint isn't that Heritage produce no new designs; several people have given a convincing list of original models. So what's missing?

I sense some frustration that Heritage, as good as it is, hasn't produced an iconic model. In my view, it's unreasonable to expect any electric guitar manufacturer to produce an iconic model. I'm not saying it can't happen. But it's not the sort of thing you can plan to do. You have to sense a need, meet that need in a simple way with a classic design and then have heaps of luck. I think there are five iconic electric guitars and my list only differs from those given already by including the ES 175 with the Strat, Tele, LP and ES 335. They were all in existence by 1960 although some hadn't achieved iconic status by then. Probably none could be simpler or more functional than it is. They all have distinctive sounds. In 50 years, nobody has produced a new icon. That's because there seems to be no scope for a new classic design or sound. (I say 'seems' because we won't know if a new icon has been produced until we see how it is received over several decades.)

It's instructive to look at a few 'near misses', guitars that looked for a while like becoming classics that didn't make it. Here's s few: Rickenbacher 6 and 12 string, Gretsch (let's say Country Gentleman to be specific}, SG, Jazzmaster. I think the SG comes the closest to making it but, in the end, is just too similar to the LP to make the first division. The Gretsch looks the part but lacks a distinctive, interesting and versatile sound. I've never played a Ricky 6 that didn't strike me as an overpriced heap of toneless junk. And 12 stringers aren't really candidates; they'll always occupy a small niche.

The early company that deserved to build an icon but never did was Guild. I think they simply entered the fray too late and were always playing catchup, a situation not unlike that of Heritage. (There are lots of parallels actually.) That said, their pre-Fender guitars were and remain very fine.

One last point. Most suggestions for novelty have centered on design. Nobody has asked for a new classic sound. Why not? What's the use of a new classic design without a new classic sound to go with it? I suggest that none of the icons was designed to have exactly the sound that has made it iconic. (Do you think Leo and Les anticipated what Hendrix and Clapton would do with their creations?) Each was designed to have a sound and look that would appeal to a broad section of the market. And that is what every new guitar design aspires to do. After that it's down to luck—luck that the players like the product in large numbers, luck that the instrument can be taken places nobody dreamt of, luck that it proves versatile and so on. And, for Heritage as for Guild, not having the bad luck that someone else got there first.

I hope they continue to know what they do best and keep doing it.

It seems this topic comes around from time to time, sometimes from the usual suspects! No doubt I've said this before, but I'm sympathetic to both "sides": 1) You can't beat the classics for tone, looks, and playability; 2) It's nice to shake up the status quo with a head-turner pulled out of the case. If you look at my guitar roster, you will see examples. There must be high costs in time and money to develop a new guitar without knowing its sales potential. Still, for those wanting something different from Heritage, may I remind you of this model, introduced for 2009:

post-1274-0-11545300-1324265609_thumb.jpg

How many of us own this model? I was rocked by it and had to have one. I spec-ed out a custom version and still love it. For those that want change from Heritage, start with an H-110.

Now thats nice! I had never seen that one before. The jayce like'y!

I would have a better chance of convincing my father he is wrong about somthing( which will never happen) than to convince most in this forum they are wrong in being so unreceptive to anyything new. Hey if all want nothing new to come out of parsons doors im fine with that, but i do!, as im sure im not the only one. many wouldnt dare speak of such a thing as they may be afraid of being rail roaded right off the site. Me however am not afraid to speak my thoughts as most of you are not either. Somtimes folks just have to agree to disagree.

99% here dont want anything to ever change at parsons, and some of us would like to see a little more creativity and ambition toward innovation come out the parsons door. No ones 100% right on either side.

Now thats nice! I had never seen that one before. The jayce like'y!

Let them build one for you!

post-1274-0-57113000-1324300957_thumb.jpg

I am usually not interested in new designs. I like the traditional ones: S-Style, T-Style, LP-Style, archtops and and semi-acoustic, for the most part, are my favorite ones. I never liked guitars that are pointy or otherwise awkward to hold.

I would pay attention to function, though: if a new design can make a guitar sound or play better, I'd be willing to consider unusual aesthetics. I've not come across anything like that, so I'll keep playing my traditional style ones, like my two H-526. my H-157, my H-150, etc...

Not me, but I'm still a relative newb.

What is/was "The Can Opener"?

Here it is. Turns out it was a custom jobber for an employee. Never meant to be marketed. But, we didn't know that at the time. Thought it was something H was going to turn out. It takes a devoted H'er to give this one the proper love, IMO

post-220-0-10523400-1324316873_thumb.jpg

There were several models not found in a Gibson Catalog.... 140's, Prospects, Millie's, Little One, 127's, ASAT's, etc.... But who said Heritage is reinventing the wheel? The "wheel" as you call it was invented right there on Parson's Street, it just got moved to Nashville. Just so happens some of the people who helped make the original "wheel" remained to keep the Heritage of the Wheel going at the place where it all started.....

+1

I just respondedto another thread but it gave me a question for fellow heritage lovers.

Why for the love of god will heritage not stop reinventing gibsons wheel and go on to designing and building thier rep based on thier own styled designs? I would be first in line to back them with a purchase weather it was ugly or not! Just as long as it was thier own and exclusive design only to heritage. Although cudos to them on the millie!!!!!!!! Good for you heritage, everybody wants one and with good reason, it's a heritage and not being modeled after brand x's designs.

This is one man's opinion, but I bought my 535 for several reasons..First off it is a much better quality than the G-brand 335..Secondly, it was much more affordable, (About 60-70 percent of the cost for the Gibby) and third,I just thought it was cool as hell it was actually made in the factory, where Oriville, Seth Lover and Ted McCarty came up with the classic designs..As always YMMV..When we tour that place every year, the history is palpable..

I would have a better chance of convincing my father he is wrong about somthing( which will never happen) than to convince most in this forum they are wrong in being so unreceptive to anyything new. Hey if all want nothing new to come out of parsons doors im fine with that, but i do!, as im sure im not the only one. many wouldnt dare speak of such a thing as they may be afraid of being rail roaded right off the site. Me however am not afraid to speak my thoughts as most of you are not either. Somtimes folks just have to agree to disagree.

99% here dont want anything to ever change at parsons, and some of us would like to see a little more creativity and ambition toward innovation come out the parsons door. No ones 100% right on either side.

I can't see how you can say that, but until something new comes along, how can we pass opinion on it? I can see the 110 is a fine guitar but I don't like the top horn, but that's just personal. To say that we are not receptive to new ideas is rather judgemental, it may well be that the new guitars we are into are perhaps not coming from Heritage because as I have said earlier, Heritage have their business model and it works for them. I really like the silhouette HSH, a very different design to the Heritage style of product. Anyway, why should Heritage make something "different"? Give me a good reason.

Here it is. Turns out it was a custom jobber for an employee. Never meant to be marketed. But, we didn't know that at the time. Thought it was something H was going to turn out. It takes a devoted H'er to give this one the proper love, IMO

post-220-0-10523400-1324316873_thumb.jpg

It may be different, but it's not hard to see that it comes from a Telecaster.

This is one man's opinion, but I bought my 535 for several reasons..First off it is a much better quality than the G-brand 335..Secondly, it was much more affordable, (About 60-70 percent of the cost for the Gibby) and third,I just thought it was cool as hell it was actually made in the factory, where Oriville, Seth Lover and Ted McCarty came up with the classic designs..As always YMMV..When we tour that place every year, the history is palpable..

+1.

Archived