Heritage Owners Club

Is the bad horsie digital? I thought it used analog circuitry, like the volume pedal does. It uses an optical sensor in place of the potentiometer which gets rid of the mechanical problems, but I don't think the actual sound is digitally processed through.

No pots, pure digital sound with optical sensor to detect the sweep. I had a Digitech RP350 a few years ago. I love its built in Wah effect. When I bought the real deal wah, I didn't like it because I preferred the digital wah tone from the RP350.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the bad horsie digital? I thought it used analog circuitry, like the volume pedal does. It uses an optical sensor in place of the potentiometer which gets rid of the mechanical problems, but I don't think the actual sound is digitally processed through.

The schematic is viewable online, and it definitely does not appear to be digital.

http://www.morleyped...com/vai-2es.pdf

Its analogue.

I have a bunch of wah pedals because --- wait for it --- I play them in church all the time. I have a completely loaded Keeley Vox Wah with the dual inductor system, true bypass and SUPER HELPFUL LED INDICATOR LIGHT. Then I have four other stock Vax and Dunlop wahs. I'm a big fan of the effect in general and I will leave the wah in certain positions for chord voicing.

That's one reason why I don't like the Bad Horsie II. In some cases when doing a solo, there is a cool sound when you rock the pedal and leave it there while doing a solo....

I'm pretty sure the Bad Horsie only turns off when it is in the "resting" position. It's spring loaded so when you take your foot off it it goes back to the start position. It's also got some nice adjustments, and just seems more well thought-out than a lot of the "old design" wahs.

I'm pretty sure the Bad Horsie only turns off when it is in the "resting" position. It's spring loaded so when you take your foot off it it goes back to the start position. It's also got some nice adjustments, and just seems more well thought-out than a lot of the "old design" wahs.

That's why I don't like it. I will rock a wah to a certain position, remove my foot and leave it there for a change in tone for a song.....

I would think an EQ or envelope filter would be better suited to that. There are other wahs that are spring loaded, and my old cry baby would move by itself if you took your foot off it.

Which is why I have an issue with wahs... At least the digitech wouldn't move...

++ 2 on the bad horsie wah. They have a limited edition one, made in USA Red white and blue with an eagle design. NOt for everyone, but IT works great for me. Once you get used to it, it seems like all other wah pedals are doing this effect wrong (just my opinion) but I am sold on the bad horsie and the way it functions.

I love my Rocktron Tri-Wah. No noticeable suck in tone. adjustable resistance. three different sweep range settings (modern, vintage, and bass) that give a ton of variations in how much wah you want. The bass wah is also nice from lower tunings (drop D, open D, etc).

Edit: it is also less than $100, which doesn't hurt.

Paid $50 for my GCB95F.... I can see why the previous owner didn't like it... The pot position wasn't right and I can tell this guy didn't know how to adjust it. I played with it for a few minutes yesterday and bingo! Great sounding wah!

I paid a little more than $50 for my Wilson wah, but I've got a knob on the side to adjust the sweep, and a knob to adjust the Q, and a knob to adjust the bass gain, and a super cool blue LED na na na na na!

Nah seriously, wah pedals are a matter of preferance just like anything else, and very different from rig to rig, maybe that's what worked best for the previous owner. I tend to like mine with a smooth sweep and dark sound, but it doesn't really "quack" like that, so maybe that's what the guy liked. Cool that you could tweak it out to fit you!

++ 2 on the bad horsie wah. They have a limited edition one, made in USA Red white and blue with an eagle design. NOt for everyone, but IT works great for me. Once you get used to it, it seems like all other wah pedals are doing this effect wrong (just my opinion) but I am sold on the bad horsie and the way it functions.

That's how I felt. I mean I had an original Crybaby, and I just didn't like it. Getting it to turn on was a PITA, it never sounded all that good, changing the battery was a PITA, and it just didn't have a good feel. The Bad Horsie got rid of everything that I hated about the crybaby. IT's also built like a tank.

BH2 Review: had it a week now and am still learning to use it, but two things i definitely like- 1) ease of use for someone who hasn't wah'd much before, and 2) tweakability. The auto-on works great for me, as i am not a pedal guy or experienced wah user. i can see that for someone who uses it a lot wants it to stay in place in a particular "on" position, this feature is not functional. for me, using it in 2 to 4 songs over the course of three sets, it is very user friendly.

The adjustability is pretty wide and you can really dial in some different sounds. i like the stock sound (holds onto the midrange nicely) but can find another sweet spot with the 2d channel, so you've got two different wah pedals in one. you can change between them on the fly.

Used it to funk up on Chitlins con Carne to great "crowd" (20 people) response and on Maiden Voyage to create a more ambient spacey sound. This wah has wide range with the adjustable channel.

i am having one problem that i could use some help with. I get an occasional serious loud treble side "quack" or peak, especially on the up stroke. is this just an attack issue, or is there something else i should be doing differently? happened when i was using a Crybaby too, so it must be user error.

thanks

Sounds like it's all a timing issue. It takes a while to get used to using the wah, and if you are at the "wrong" part of the sweep when you pick you can get some really biting sounds out of it. of course you can also get some great 70's "wakawaka wakawaka" sounds out of it. It really is great for adding depth and expression to solos, as well as rhythm.

No pots, pure digital sound with optical sensor to detect the sweep. I had a Digitech RP350 a few years ago. I love its built in Wah effect. When I bought the real deal wah, I didn't like it because I preferred the digital wah tone from the RP350.

Analog is so overated! So are tube amps, with todays digital equipment that sounds perfect and endless sound potentials, why anyone would pay top dollar for a fragile tube amp that hisses and pops with one sound and cant be brought anywheres with out being strapped in a padded crate, and those costly analog pedals is beyond me. Only the diehards keeping that market alive i guess. :icon_thumright:

I've got a crybaby I've had for years..I think I sprayed contact cleaner into the pot once & also modded it for true bypass....but that thing has been bulletproof

had an optical wah made by morley but it was a piece of junk in comparison

Archived