Heritage Owners Club

A good laugh RE: 1-off prototype H135

michaeljames

:laughing8:

Here is a beautiful Heritage H535. Very similar to the Gibson ES335 ES355 etc... This heritage is actually a prototype that they made in 1989 and on this model they moved the tailpiece back to give the guitar more string tension making the sustain of this guitar immaculate. If you are a player who can't decide if you like 10 gauge or 11 gauge strings like myself this guitar gives 10's the string tension of 11's but still allows the brightness and sustain and still allows for big bends. Another improvement they did with this 1 off 535 prototype (thus no logo or serial, just the sticker under the f-hole) are the 3 position toggle switches, which change the pickups from series, parallel, and split. Also the lower bout knobs are a master volume and tone. It is actually possible to get convincing fender tones with this unique pickup arrangement. It has a Seymor Duncan JB in the bridge, and a Duncan Jazz in the neck. These pickups sound GREAT. Newer 535's that I've seen don't nearly have as much of a 3D flame as this one. If you are not familiar with Heritage, it was started by the old craftsmen from Gibson that didn't want to leave their home in Kalamazoo to go to Nashville, so these guitars are extremely well built, and many say much better built than actual Gibsons. I sold a 339 for this guitar and this guitar feels, sounds, plays, and maintains MUCH better than the 339 did.

Cosmetically, this is definitely a working man's guitar. The headstock as shown in the picture had a Heritage logo glued on it because it was a prototype, and the headstock also was cut in a different shape than most heritage headstocks are. I have an email into heritage with pictures and etc... to figure out why this guitar doesn't have a serial number on it. I also bought it on craigslist and was skeptical of that but after I played it, and given how much better it plays and sounds than a 2300-2500 ES335, the choice was made very easy. It has a wide neck but it is not fat, it is pretty average (in between a baseball bat gibson 50's neck and the thin Gibson 60's neck but wider). I have studio recordings I did with this guitar playing rythym, leads, coil tapping on and off, etc... It was through a 65 reissue super reverb. If anyone is interested in hearing it just say so in your email!

If interested email me or call xxxxxxxxxxxx

Willie

5N95K25F73Ke3L23J7c2936ea72ba84711c3e.jpg5Lc5Ic5K13Ga3Kf3H6c29db448233edb1195e.jpg5N15Kc5H93Gc3Kd3I1c293bb0024f0a851bd7.jpg5L85Ib5He3Kf3M73H2c295e92d686cfd516a1.jpg

check out the top tuners ~ look how they had to crunch them together. they shaved the sides of the headstock too! guessing they were embarrased they had a Heritage with 'the ugly headstock'. i have the guys phone number (listed in ad) ~ tempted to contact him to find out the neato info he got from his inquiry to the Heritage folks in Kalamazoo ~ hee*hee. and the electronics? WTF

:icon_puke_l::icon_puke_r:

I'll bet it was a botched headstock repair. That's why there is no logo on the front. This ad could be rewritten thusly: "I fell for the 'this is a valuable prototype' lie on this guitar. Now I want you to fall for it too."

dan

off topic ~ why do i have a 'warning staus' below my name?

We all have the warn status. As long as your is empty you are good.

Guest HRB853370

check out the top tuners ~ look how they had to crunch them together. they shaved the sides of the headstock too! guessing they were embarrased they had a Heritage with 'the ugly headstock'. i have the guys phone number (listed in ad) ~ tempted to contact him to find out the neato info he got from his inquiry to the Heritage folks in Kalamazoo ~ hee*hee. and the electronics? WTF

:icon_puke_l::icon_puke_r:

Optical illusion perhaps?? ehe heh

Guest HRB853370

off topic ~ why do i have a 'warning staus' below my name?

You posted in the wrong category-should have been in the Ebay section heh heh heh. Our administrators cut no slack!

When I'm feeling down I can always visit here and get some laughs! I figured you guys would enjoy theis one. Also love the way he tries to convince the reader that Heritage 'moved the bridge back' to add increased tension for that 'immaculate' sustain!! Does he really think anyone who knows anything about guitars wouldn't notice the original bridge mount holes? or did he 'hope' that we would all assume those were part of the 'more beautiful than most' flame 3D top? He says, "Oh, yes, those are just at the 'top' of that particular 'flame'~see how symetrical they are? Thats because its a fine example of a properly bookmatched piece of highly sought after maple taxied in from a special Midwest Grown 2000 year oldmaple tree taken directly from the side street of Hennepin Avenue in downtown Minneapolis." And for anyone who didn't immediately notice that horror, and who likes guitars, well ~ they are probably beginners and most likely wouldn't be spending $1500 on a guitar. Unless their dad (or they) were uber rich! WHAT 'FRIGGIN NONSENSE. BUT, GOOD FOR A FEW GOOD LAUGHS AND SOME PRACTICE FOR OUR INDIVIDUAL CREATIVITY!! Thanks for the funny funnies guys!

:wave:

..... Thats because its a fine example of a properly bookmatched piece ...................

Did he really say bookmatched? Funny, don't think I've ever seen a 535 that wasn't a one piece top. Hmmm. Maybe that's part of the "prototyping". And a prototype 2 years after they introduced the model. Oh yeah!! Thats a keeper. :laughing7: That true sad part here is somebody has really f'd up a beautiful instrument. Shame.

Guest HRB853370

When I'm feeling down I can always visit here and get some laughs! I figured you guys would enjoy theis one. Also love the way he tries to convince the reader that Heritage 'moved the bridge back' to add increased tension for that 'immaculate' sustain!! Does he really think anyone who knows anything about guitars wouldn't notice the original bridge mount holes? or did he 'hope' that we would all assume those were part of the 'more beautiful than most' flame 3D top? He says, "Oh, yes, those are just at the 'top' of that particular 'flame'~see how symetrical they are? Thats because its a fine example of a properly bookmatched piece of highly sought after maple taxied in from a special Midwest Grown 2000 year oldmaple tree taken directly from the side street of Hennepin Avenue in downtown Minneapolis." And for anyone who didn't immediately notice that horror, and who likes guitars, well ~ they are probably beginners and most likely wouldn't be spending $1500 on a guitar. Unless their dad (or they) were uber rich! WHAT 'FRIGGIN NONSENSE. BUT, GOOD FOR A FEW GOOD LAUGHS AND SOME PRACTICE FOR OUR INDIVIDUAL CREATIVITY!! Thanks for the funny funnies guys!

Thanks for making us chuckle! You should stop by here more often-don't be a stranger!

i'm going to call him tonight to get an 'in hand description' and to find out what story he'll weave about contacting Heritage for answers about why there isn't a logo or serial number. and the line, "there was a glued on logo on the headstock because its a prototype, but i took it off" ~ huh? :jerk:

i'll give a full report in about an hour ~ stay tuned..................................

no luck ~ had to leave a message. in the meantime he's updated to: Heritage H535 price lowered - $1200 obo (St. Paul)

maybe due to this very recent post: GIBSON ES-359 - CUSTOM SHOP - $1900 (Minneapolis, MN)

I feel kinda bad for the guy. JUST KIDDING! I expect he'll have plenty of time to bond with that beauty.

Over & out!

:icon_salut:

So I talk to the guy today. I asked if he heard from Heritage. He says, "Yeah ~ the guitar was a custom order built to speck. They made 5 of these prototypes in 1989. The owner didn't want a serial number or a logo inlaid into the headstock. He wanted one glued on, but I peeled it off. He ordered it with a wider neck and special electronic appointments. And he had them do something with the tuners before the nut so the string tension would increase at the headstock. Then they moved the bridge back. You can see where they did that. It all works together to make the tone and sustain superior to a regular setup." He goes on to tell me he searched the nation to find a 'special' Heritage, and found this one on CL Chicago. He met the owner from Chicago in Wisconsin Dells for the purchase. He paid $1500 which is what he asked originally on the local CL, but nobody responded. He is therefor now willing to let it go for $1200. I told him I'd like to look at it Saturday. He said someone had just called him 25 minutes ago and had cash, but he told them he wanted to give me 1st dibs since I was the first to contact him. He asked if I'd be pissed if he sold it before Saturday. I said "of course not". He said he'd call tomorrow to setup a time for a viewing.

!WOW!

Archived