Heritage Owners Club

Advice for a quality low volume amp to match a 575

Brad

Hi folks,

I am a converted piano player who picked up a 575. What a great guitar. Would consider myself an intermediate player who likes playing Jazz Standards at home. I have no intention of playing in public. I was talked into a Peavey Classic 30 which I don't think meets my needs (however, operator error is highly likely!).

I have been searching sites for advice on a quality low volume amp that will meet my needs. I am totally overwhelmed!

I would greatly appreciate any advice you all can offer.

Thanks,

Brad

...Also, what is it about the Peavey that makes it less than desirable for your needs?

There are a bunch of us 575 players that love this instrument. Once we have more information about what you are looking for in an amp, you should get some really great advice/recommendations. Mine sounds great through tube amps (Deluxe Reverb, Blues Deluxe, Concert and Heritage). But some folks go for solid state amps for ultra clean tones...like Roland, Evans, Clarius, etc.

And welcome to the HOC, Brad!

Imo silver face Fender Champs are great. They are 5 watts all tube and have great tone when the speaker is changed to a 10 or 12 inch. I use one with 2 10's for jazz gigs and for blues and for rock and for...... It will compete with drums and a bass for small club gigs and is now my main amp . When keeping the volume down the sound is beautiful, classic Fender blackface sound after all the champ circut did not change from blackface to silver. They can be found for $250 or so and many times one can be found already converted to a larger speaker for not much more $. For me its all about tubes, I do not like the tone of the solid state jazz amps. For the best tone you could go for a blackface deluxe or a Carr Rambler, ect.but you'll spend a couple thousand bucks for one of those. The mid seventy's Champ I have is probably the best bang for the buck to get great classic jazz tone for low cost and low home type volumes. BTW if you decide to turn it up to 10 you'll be rewarded with some increadible blues and rock tones, chimey and wonderfull and your 575 is a great guitar for that, so dont hold back. Or get it right up where is starts to break up around 5 on the volume and suddenly the tone that Kenny Burrell was famous for will be at your fingertips. For a sampe listen to Kenny's version of My Favorite Things. Have fun searching.

Hi Brad, I'd put money on the Roland Cube amp being suggested at least one or twice :)

For playing Jazz, I would have to agree. The Roland Cube may be want you seek. You'd want a crisp, clean amp that isn't always possible with tube amp. The Classic 30 is a great amp, I have its cousin, the DeltaBlues, but I play blues and rock.

Hi Folks,

Wow, this is fantastic feedback, thanks. Let me try to address some of the questions:

1. With the current Peavey Classic 30, I can't get the volume up much past 4 without rattling widows. With the vol at 1-2, I don't feel like I am really driving the speaker and don't get any real ability tone. When I adjust the tone on the guitar, I can detect no difference. I feel like I am missing much of what this amp can offer by playing it at such low volumes. Of course, perhaps I am not operating the amp correctly.

2. As for watts, I have no specific requirements. What would others suggest is the correct number of watts to drive an amp at low volutme?

3. As for budget, not interested in breaking the bank, but for the right amp could stretch to a $1000 bucks or so.

4. Looking for warm jazz sound. Play mainly jazz standards, some basic Gypsy Jazz and staring to explore Brazilian rhythms.

5. Tried playing through a friend's AER, great amp, but too clean for me. I also have an acoustic Martin that I use when I want that sound.

Hope this helps. Thanks everyone!

Guest HRB853370

Hi folks,

I am a converted piano player who picked up a 575. What a great guitar. Would consider myself an intermediate player who likes playing Jazz Standards at home. I have no intention of playing in public. I was talked into a Peavey Classic 30 which I don't think meets my needs (however, operator error is highly likely!).

I have been searching sites for advice on a quality low volume amp that will meet my needs. I am totally overwhelmed!

I would greatly appreciate any advice you all can offer.

Thanks,

Brad

I used to have an H- 575 and if you can find one of these, you would probably love it for your 575. They are not made anymore, but they pop up from time to time on the used market for around $550-$600.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Pro%20Audio/Gibson/GA40RVT/

Hi Folks,

Wow, this is fantastic feedback, thanks. Let me try to address some of the questions:

1. With the current Peavey Classic 30, I can't get the volume up much past 4 without rattling widows. With the vol at 1-2, I don't feel like I am really driving the speaker and don't get any real ability tone. When I adjust the tone on the guitar, I can detect no difference. I feel like I am missing much of what this amp can offer by playing it at such low volumes. Of course, perhaps I am not operating the amp correctly.

2. As for watts, I have no specific requirements. What would others suggest is the correct number of watts to drive an amp at low volutme?

3. As for budget, not interested in breaking the bank, but for the right amp could stretch to a $1000 bucks or so.

4. Looking for warm jazz sound. Play mainly jazz standards, some basic Gypsy Jazz and staring to explore Brazilian rhythms.

5. Tried playing through a friend's AER, great amp, but too clean for me. I also have an acoustic Martin that I use when I want that sound.

Hope this helps. Thanks everyone!

Based on your response I'd recommend a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue.

Try one of these out at your local Guitar Center, look for one on sale or go to Sweetwater.com, and you'll be sending me flowers next Valetine's Day! :icon_salut:

Try one of these out at your local Guitar Center, look for one on sale or go to Sweetwater.com, and you'll be sending me flowers next Valetine's Day! :icon_salut:

Yup, this would be my recommendation as well ... esp. if you can find a clean one used.

For Jazz... I'd say you want higher wattage than maybe what I think of when you say low wattage. To me, a low watter is in the 1w-5w area. Upwards of 20w through 50w is moderate power and then you get into the big boys.

Now, depending on HOW quiet you want to play, those 1w-5w may not give you the clean tones at the volume levels you want. Definitely do some testing at stores if you can.

I do support the Cube suggestions. I know this will come as no shock to most here. For Jazz, it is a very, very solid jazz amp and a really good price. Used, you find even better deals.

+1

Headstrong Lil' King is an exactly 1964 clone of a Princeton Reverb and used can be had at less cost than the Re-issue.

I Love love love mine for Jazz Standards!!!

Archived