Heritage Owners Club

Recommendations for ~15W of Tube Driven Joy for $500

Bonefish

I have a 20W Hughes and Kettner 20th Anniversary tube amp which I've really enjoyed. It has a great clean channel and a full, rich tone. I bought this amp about a year and a half ago when I first started playing again. Now that I have a better feel for what I'm looking for from my tone, I'm wanting to reevaluate my amp choice. I'd like to find a tube amp with great tone but can get soft enough to play at bedroom levels. Most of my playing is at church where I'm mic'd and I can't imagine playing anywhere where I would need more than 15 W.

Anyhow, I'd love your thoughts on amps I should check out that may fit the bill. I'm also strongly considering a build your own amp and would be interested in your thoughts there. I don't care if the amp has more or less than 15W as long as it will get soft enough for bedroom use. Also, I'd like an effects loop, but don't need any onboard effects or extra channels. Just looking for a basic amp with a great tone. Once I figure out the amp I'm looking for, I'm willing to wait around for the right deal to come along, so something a bit more expensive could wind-up working out as well.

Looking forward to getting your thoughts!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose it depends on the type of clean tone you're looking for. I love my Fender Blues Jr., 15 watts. I had a minor mod done to it and it really took away the boxy tone it comes with.

You can also consider getting a KBP810.

Some folks like the Peavey amps that come in all wattages.

I love my Fender Blues Jr., 15 watts. I had a minor mod done to it and it really took away the boxy tone it comes with.

What mod did you do to the Fender Blues Jr? I played a Blues Jr and Princeton Reverb a couple weeks back and found the Princeton Reverb's tone much richer.

I suppose it depends on the type of clean tone you're looking for.

I'm still not sure what tone I'm going for which is why I'm looking for ideas from you all wwhat to try out (and hopefully this will also help keep me from wasting time on some of the junk that's getting put out these days). Also, I want the amp to have a great clean tone in and of itself, and will use pedals for distored and overdriven tones (so it needs to take pedals well).

Bonefish,

I'm copy/pasting something about the mods I did to my blues jr. (this is in one of Guitfiddler's posts in the Amp section):

-------------

Okay - I'm gonna weigh in. I just brought home my FBJr from the amp guy tonight - and what a difference! The amp sounds way more open, crisper, and a usable mid control - which I REALLY like - I can get all sorts of tones with that thing. Both my strat and humbucker-loaded H 535 sounded great through it. Reverb tank wasn't broken. And I found out it's a 1997. Here's what he did:

1. Reverb tank - fixed internal lead wires, (2) Modify tone stack to BF Twin specs. Leave mid control at 25k for wider control range. (3) Power supply (headroom) mods. Reduce power supply feed resistors values and increase power rating. (4) upgrade screen grid resistors to Flameproof 1W types. (5) Adjust bias to 25mA (340Vplate), (6) check output power - okay at 15W into 8 ohms beore clipping. (7) minor vinyl repair at front of amp; (8) clean pots and jacks; and (9) clean dust and debris.

all for only $100. Altogether, for $300 I have a great amp, with real nice tone and and wonderful blues breakup when I push it. And it's light, at 34 lbs, which I need.

I really didn't know what 'boxy' was until, after playing the FBJr for awhile, I then plugged into my Epi half stack and in comparison, it did sound like it had a blanket over it. So, I'd say I have a good sounding amp, right now, and I think I'm picky when it comes to sound.

-----------------------------------------------

Bonefish - I find that most Fender amps take pedals very well.

It's hard to beat a Princeton Reverb Reissue for the price, tone, features, portability and 5 year warranty on a new purchase.

Sorry, I noticed that you mentioned $500 limit. These sell new for $900 and used closer to $600-$700.

Here are some recent sales on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=fender+princeton+reverb+reissue&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=619&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

If your issue is the volume, keep in mind that a 2W will only be ~50% (tops) quieter than your 20W. Anything above 2W will be an imperceptible difference. Of course, this is assuming identical speakers, etc...

Edit: check out the thread on lunchbox amps for modern low Watt options. Also check out the vintage section of ebay. a nice VibroChamp is always a good choice and most of the vintage tube amps you'll find are fairly low watt.

2nd edit: going the opposite of what i first said, keep in mind that up to a 200W tube amp will only be ~50% increase in volume so no real need to limit yourself to a 15W amp. you might find a nice 88W amp with KT-88s give you an amazing clean sound even at low volumes...

I suppose it depends on the type of clean tone you're looking for. I love my Fender Blues Jr., 15 watts. I had a minor mod done to it and it really took away the boxy tone it comes with.

You can also consider getting a KBP810.

Some folks like the Peavey amps that come in all wattages.

I've got my Peavey Classic 30 on sale for $300 if you are interested..

If your issue is the volume, keep in mind that a 2W will only be ~50% (tops) quieter than your 20W. Anything above 2W will be an imperceptible difference. Of course, this is assuming identical speakers, etc...

Edit: check out the thread on lunchbox amps for modern low Watt options. Also check out the vintage section of ebay. a nice VibroChamp is always a good choice and most of the vintage tube amps you'll find are fairly low watt.

2nd edit: going the opposite of what i first said, keep in mind that up to a 200W tube amp will only be ~50% increase in volume so no real need to limit yourself to a 15W amp. you might find a nice 88W amp with KT-88s give you an amazing clean sound even at low volumes...

I have an old Vibro Champ, best bedroom amp ever!

Tube amps are really killer, but to get the saturated tube tone a.k.a the sweet spot, you have to push the volume. I'd rather say, get yourself a solid state amp. Keep the tube amp for louder situations. Solid state amps sound much better at low bedroom volumes. Even the 5E3 Tweeds do not sound great a low volumes. That warm tube tone isn't there at low volume. Many will argue this, but there really is no denying it. Get yourself something like a Fender Mustang I or II, Line 6 Spider, or a Roland Cube. You can get those saturated OD tones at low volume versus having to turn up a tube amp to achieve that warm tone. Just my 2 cents....

Tube amps are really killer, but to get the saturated tube tone a.k.a the sweet spot, you have to push the volume. I'd rather say, get yourself a solid state amp. Keep the tube amp for louder situations. Solid state amps sound much better at low bedroom volumes. Even the 5E3 Tweeds do not sound great a low volumes. That warm tube tone isn't there at low volume. Many will argue this, but there really is no denying it. Get yourself something like a Fender Mustang I or II, Line 6 Spider, or a Roland Cube. You can get those saturated OD tones at low volume versus having to turn up a tube amp to achieve that warm tone. Just my 2 cents....

If you follow DB's advice then I'd suggest checking out a Little Lanilei from Mahaffey Amps. I have a 3350LT model that provides 1/4 to 33w of all tube tone. It's about the size of a 6 pack with a 6 1/2" custom built speaker that can cut through the mix at stage volumes or deliver beautiful saturated distortion at conversation levels. Or, if you want it can drive one or two 4X12 cabs at stage volumes. The 3350LT is voiced like a Plexi or Bassman. Tris sells other models like this one that have more headroom if that's what your looking for as well. I like mine which was originally recommended by Kidsmoke who likes his too. Stand-alone, it won't deliver the full sound of a Deluxe Reverb, or even a Blues Jr -but the tone is definately there. Coupled with a external cab and a 12" or 15" speaker, it can really sing. Best of all, it's less than $500 new. I've seen them sell used for anywhere from $250-$350..

http://www.mahaffaya...ilei-3350lt.htm

little-lanilei-3350lt-250.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. I do have a solid state amp that I can use when needed (Line6), but much prefer playing through tubes (even though I may not always be getting up to volumes where I'm hitting their sweet spot). I also prefer to practice through the amp I'm going to play out with.

Definitely going to check out the Peavey, Fender and possibly a Lanieli if I can find one. There's a 40w hot rod deluxe in Craigslist for $500 that may be worth checking out. I've looked at the Night Train and Tiny Terror which were interesting, but i think I really want a combo. Any thoughts/recommendation on the egnator line? How about Vox?

How about Vox. Now THERE'S a question! :)

If you like the Vox sound, and I do, mmmmm-mmmm :), then have a look at the AC4TV. It's a 4watt combo in a TV front style and has all the right Vox noises.

By the way, you *can* push a tube amp toward saturation in lower volume situations by using a boost pedal (like the Fulltone FatBoost). This works with my 5E3 - I use a T-Rex Twin Boost so I can dial out the mids a bit.

Egnater Tweaker 15 -

Why?

Does everything you're looking for with a $400 price tag (head only) Combo is abvailable.

Effects loops

Multiple impedence on the back of the unit

Fender, Marshall, and Vox tones in one box

I've played one and they sound insanely good.

Just my 2 cents

Here's a video of a dude doing a demo...he's a great player btw

I really like the Tweakers (in case you couldn't tell by my referent to the KT-88s...). Since you are set on tubes, think of it this way:

low watt = nice saturation/overdrive at a lower volume

high watt nice clean sound at a lower volume

or do what I know some people do, which is buy two amps and a switcher pedal. Regardless, go hit up a local store and try a ton out to decide what you like and ignore the Watt label since even at the same low Watt level amps sound TOTALLY different (Vox AC4TV, Marshall 5, Orange Tiny Terror, etc).

I never found the tone I was after when I had my BluesJr. I'm very happy with my Orange TinyTerror combo which might be found used for ~$500 but no effects loop. IMHO I would keep the H&K and look at a Roland Microcube, $129 at Guitar Center. The Microcube has some decent sounds (though not tube), comes with builtin effects and is portable with it's battery option. This would make for a nice little bedroom amp.

Nice little review of the Micro:

All my amps have to play well at mouse fart volume levels. The Super Champ XD really surprised me, great tone at low levels, loves pedals, and built in effects although I generally only use a little reverb. The new model is the X2, they were heavily discounting the SCXD a few weeks back. Might be worth a look.

I had a really great time with a Boss (Roland) ME25 and my Blues Junior. It seemed like I could whatever tone i wanted at any volume. Listening to the demo of the Microcube, it sounds to me like a lot of the COSM amp models and effects in that the ME25 have been bundled into it.

Cork sniffers aren't going to like the Microcube, or ME25, but they all sound good in a dark room.

Archived