Heritage Owners Club

Recommendations for ~15W of Tube Driven Joy for $500

Bonefish

Egnater Tweaker 15 -

Why?

Does everything you're looking for with a $400 price tag (head only) Combo is abvailable.

Effects loops

Multiple impedence on the back of the unit

Fender, Marshall, and Vox tones in one box

I've played one and they sound insanely good.

Just my 2 cents

+1 on the tweaker combo.. an impressive amount of different tube tones in it. I ran a pedal into it the other day and that was quite nice also.

I wish that it had reverb and that's all I'd change.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome, I can't wait to hit my local guitar shops and try some stuff out. These are great recommendations and help to add some direction to my search.

While you are searching, think about some of the amp families mentioned here and their "family sound" so to speak. You already have a euro/Marshall-y sound with your Hughes. What is the "Fender" sound in your mind, What is "Vox," "Mesa Boogie," and so forth. I'm guessing that you plan on having something very portable, right?

The tone of your amp needs to fit the style of music you intend to play through it. I played in a church praise band last summer and will do it again this summer. Believe what you want, but I think that the money and effort you spend on your bringing you, your guitar, your amp and your tones to the church to rehearse and play is similar to your efforts to give you give in offering(s), Don't throw your money away, for sure, but also ...remember who your audience is and play through the very nicest sounding amp you can afford for church. And do investigate kits for certain circuits from various "amp families." Tough to beat Ceriatone for quality/value in kits, but there are less expensive, also good options from Weber.

Don't go "cheesy amp for church." Instead, bring the best you can. And that might mean that you might not be playing through the same amp a couple years from now as your church amp, your tastes and needs might change over time...

Just my $.02.

I am normally wary of amps made in China, but some of the Egnater small watt heads give you the option of blending 6L6 and El84 tubes, and selectable output from 1 watt to max (15-20 watts). They sound really good. Extremely versatile. I have a Dr Z Maz 18 NR head (18 very loud watts). It's an absolutely killer amp. Not a $500 amp. Bedroom amp? How big is your bedroom?

Try the Ibanez TSA15. I have one and I like it. Lots of clean headroom and a built-in tubescreamer. I've used mine for clean jazz gigs, as well as classic rock jams.

agreed on the sound quality of these amps. I have one, without a cab around it right now. Word to the wise on this one. IT ABSOLUTELY NEEDS A TUBE UPGRADE! 6V6's have a lot of natural compression coming from them, and the tubes, cheap tubes, it came with were horrible. I put some JJ's in it, and it was like night and day! Great options for outs on the back of the head version too!

This is a nice amp, and in my opinion, for its price range, completely underrated

This is awesome feedback. In response to some of your questions/comments:

I probably shouldn't have put 15W in the title. What I meant is that I'm looking for an amp that has the volume of what you would expect from a 15W amp. I realize that some 40W-50W amps have decent tone even at reasonable volumes, and some 15W amps do not. I was just trying to say that I was looking for an amp that will sound decent at reasonable volumes (probably should have just said what I meant!) My guitar setup is in our bonus room (which is over the garage). I'm often playing at night after kids have gone to bed, so I can have reasonable volume, but not loud volume (e.g. The Hughe's and Kettner volume has been perfectly fine).

I'm still undecided as to which brand of tone I prefer with my guitar and my style. Even when I'm covering note for note, I still feel some freedom with tone and so I want the amp to not simply be a good tone (which I get from the H&K), but a tone I really am connected with. That's why I wanted to get your recommendation. Next step is to take my guitar to some music shops and start playing. Should be fun!

This is awesome feedback. In response to some of your questions/comments:

I probably shouldn't have put 15W in the title. What I meant is that I'm looking for an amp that has the volume of what you would expect from a 15W amp. I realize that some 40W-50W amps have decent tone even at reasonable volumes, and some 15W amps do not. I was just trying to say that I was looking for an amp that will sound decent at reasonable volumes (probably should have just said what I meant!) My guitar setup is in our bonus room (which is over the garage). I'm often playing at night after kids have gone to bed, so I can have reasonable volume, but not loud volume (e.g. The Hughe's and Kettner volume has been perfectly fine).

I'm still undecided as to which brand of tone I prefer with my guitar and my style. Even when I'm covering note for note, I still feel some freedom with tone and so I want the amp to not simply be a good tone (which I get from the H&K), but a tone I really am connected with. That's why I wanted to get your recommendation. Next step is to take my guitar to some music shops and start playing. Should be fun!

Yep that IS the fun part..Enjoy!!

All my amps have to play well at mouse fart volume levels. The Super Champ XD really surprised me, great tone at low levels, loves pedals, and built in effects although I generally only use a little reverb. The new model is the X2, they were heavily discounting the SCXD a few weeks back. Might be worth a look.

+1. One of two amps I wish I never let go....

Great tone and versitility, loud amps fly in my house the same way a brick does in a greenhouse... The SCXD was the only amp my wife never complained about...

Tried out the Tweeker today. That's a very cool amp and has some great tones. Definitely still on the table. The OD on that amp was surprisingly good and it played well at low volumes. However, changing between settings also can alter volume, so it could be a bit challenging to manage live. Lots to think about. Too bad the only decent guitar store in NE Atlanta is Guitar Center. That's a lousy place to test out an amp.

Too bad the only decent guitar store in NE Atlanta is Guitar Center. That's a lousy place to test out an amp.

?? Atlanta Discount Music..or Atlanta Music Brokers in Roswell... worth couple of extra miles.

Guest HRB853370

Tried out the Tweeker today. That's a very cool amp and has some great tones. Definitely still on the table. The OD on that amp was surprisingly good and it played well at low volumes. However, changing between settings also can alter volume, so it could be a bit challenging to manage live. Lots to think about. Too bad the only decent guitar store in NE Atlanta is Guitar Center. That's a lousy place to test out an amp.

You call GC a decent guitar store? Ha ha. Thats a huge overstatement! There are dozens of guitar shops in Atlanta. And many of them stock high end goods.

Guest HRB853370

?? Atlanta Discount Music..or Atlanta Music Brokers in Roswell... worth couple of extra miles.

Or Maple street guitars, or Ken Stanton Music, or Dirt Cheep Music, the list goes on and on

Do you like to tinker? Maybe a used Blues Jr and then get a bunch of Bill M's mods (google Bills audio, cool site), totally changes it for the better. They are also not bad stock. There is an insane amount of variety out there.

You call GC a decent guitar store? Ha ha. Thats a huge overstatement!

Or Maple street guitars, or Ken Stanton Music, or Dirt Cheep Music, the list goes on and on

GC has better new and used selection than most, I can plug up whatever I want and try it out, and if you go midday on a weekday they are pretty empty. So, that bumps them up to decent in my book (they also stayed open a few minutes for me late when night so I could pick-up a pedal I needed for Sunday morning). Also, we have a local music shop in Suwanee that is absolutely awful. When the local businesses service is worse than the big box service, it makes me feel a little less guilty about hitting up the big box stores.

Unfortunely, none of those stores are anywhere close to Suwanee. I'm in Buckhead a good bit, but Maple Street is pretty lousy for electric (unless you happen to fall into their niche). I drive by Atlanta Discount Music all the time, but had no idea. I am looking forward to dropping by.

I went with a Carvin Vintage 16. It's got a triode switch to take it down to 5 watts. They also have a head version of it now. I brought mine to PSPIV, but never really had a chance to use it, as it could not keep up with the very loud everything else going on.

After much consternation, I decided on the Egnator 115. I was able to get a great deal on one through eBay which is what pushed me over the edge. It came in the mail today and I now realize that I have a lot to figure out. All those switches can get confusing!

I'm finding some tones I really like which is exciting. I spent a little over an hour playing with just my guitar and the amp. Later on I added some delay and reverb which really filled out the tone and gave some great feeling.

I really appreciate everyones input, this was an awesome thread as so many people shared so many great ideas. I look forward to trying out some of the suggestions I didn't get a chance to play with before I made my purchase. Also, thanks so much to the guys who suggested egnator. I wouldn't have made the jump without all the encouragement.

post-2189-13312760379045_thumb.jpg

After much consternation, I decided on the Egnator 115. I was able to get a great deal on one through eBay which is what pushed me over the edge. It came in the mail today and I now realize that I have a lot to figure out. All those switches can get confusing!

I'm finding some tones I really like which is exciting. I spent a little over an hour playing with just my guitar and the amp. Later on I added some delay and reverb which really filled out the tone and gave some great feeling.

I really appreciate everyones input, this was an awesome thread as so many people shared so many great ideas. I look forward to trying out some of the suggestions I didn't get a chance to play with before I made my purchase. Also, thanks so much to the guys who suggested egnator. I wouldn't have made the jump without all the encouragement.

post-2189-13312760379045_thumb.jpg

Did you get the Tweaker 112? 15 watt combo- 1x12' speaker ...

Edit... it looks like it in the pic. Congrats.

• 15 Watts Tube Amplifier

• 1x12” Combo

• 2 x 6V6 Power Tubes

• 3 x 12AX7 Pre-amp Tubes

• Celestion™ G12H-30

• Master Volume, Gain and

3-Band EQ

• Modern/Vintage Amp Voicing Switch

• Buffered Effects Loop

• Selectable AC, British and American Tone Controls

• Clean/Hot Gain Selector

• Tight & Bright Voicing Switches

• 100V / 115V / 230V Switchable

• Void-Free Birch Ply Construction

• Tweaker112TopViewThumb.jpg

Dimensions: 19.75" (L) x 10.75" (W) x 16.5" (H)

Weight: 30lbs

The Tweaker is an ultra compact and amazingly versatile all-tube combo that offers a unique and sophisticated tone with seemingly endless tonal variations via the on-board “Tweaker” selector switches. Powered by a pair of 6V6 power tubes, the TWEAKER will set the new standard for gigging micro amps. The gain, EQ and master sections each have a Tweaker switch providing a wide-range of tones from the ultra smooth and satisfying to fully over-saturated lead tones.

ARE YOU A TWEAKER?

Hidden inside the TWEAKER is a vast array of tones not usually found in amps this compact. Each of the five toggle switches on the front change the character of the amp. The TIGHT and BRIGHT switches shape the low and high end from soft and smooth to punchy and aggressive. The GAIN switch goes from sparkly clean to an all out high-gain assault.

TweakerSwitches.jpg

The EQ switch lets you select from pristine American to classic Brit and even the elusive VX AC sound. The CLASSIC/MODERN voicing switch allows you to select either soft and smooth or hard and edgy power tube tone. It’s all in there to satisfy the ultimate “Tweaker”.

congratz on the tweaker, I really love those amps.

BTW, this isn't usually advertised but you can use ANY tube in the tweaker as long as the pin's match. All you have to do is rebias it (which I've heard is really easy to do and the amp may even have instructions inside that tell you how to set it for various tubes 6v6, 6L6, EL34s, etc). Basically if the tube fits you can use them.

Make sure you download the manual from their website, some really nice suggestions for various sounds and explanations of things.

ENJOY!

I am really curious about those tweakers and rebel30.

Reverb and adjustable tube selection ( el84 <-> 6l6 ) is a nice touch on the rebel series.

However a 15watt tweaker combo is just 30lbs.

I wonder how clean can it be playing with a jazz band...

the clean-ness is going to depend on what tubes you stick in it. one thing to note with the non-tweaker models from egnater (rebel, tourmaster, etc) is that you quickly find out that the el84/6l6 adjustment knob doesn't really do much unless you are at ridiculous volumes and even then it is minimal. Same thing with the watt selectors. Doesn't seem to affect volume much, but has a major effect on when the channel goes into overdrive/distortion.

I think you get a much better American vs. Marshall vs. Vox sound difference with the tweakers since it incorporates all of the other non-tube related effects.

The amp does seem to have lots of headroom before it starts breaking up. I'll test more today when I get back from work.

Also, the amp automatically rebiases, itself, so all you have to do is swap tubes and you're ready to go. Pretty nifty!

Thanks for all the feedback. I do have a solid state amp that I can use when needed (Line6), but much prefer playing through tubes (even though I may not always be getting up to volumes where I'm hitting their sweet spot). I also prefer to practice through the amp I'm going to play out with.

Definitely going to check out the Peavey, Fender and possibly a Lanieli if I can find one. There's a 40w hot rod deluxe in Craigslist for $500 that may be worth checking out. I've looked at the Night Train and Tiny Terror which were interesting, but i think I really want a combo. Any thoughts/recommendation on the egnator line? How about Vox?

The HRD will be LOUD! REALLY LOUD!!! I have one and love it but you do have to get above bedroom levels to get a quality sound. At in home levels the volume is at about 1.5 and the tubes are barely getting anything at all. They can sound flubby. Oh, and $500 used is too much. They can be found for $350 but usually $400. The Classic 30 is a much better option for low volume. It's a nice amp for just about anything. You can find it used for $300ish also. Some buddies of mine have a Classic 50 that also sounds good at low levels and it's a 2x12.

I have been impressed with the Bugera 5 watt. Nice little single channel tube amp. Will sound great in home. You will have to use your favorite pedal to get any dirt, but it takes pedals well. Is less than $200 new. I found mine used, $100. I take it to teach lessons and just to play at home. Probably won't keep up with a drummer though, except in small venues.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-v5-5w-1x8-tube-guitar-combo-amp/502586000001000?src=3WDTWXX&ZYXSEM=0

Archived